Need help in setting up home theater!!

Subhash, first of all Congrats. Secondly my apologies for the late reply. Was travelling a bit and have to look at 250 postings. !!!

My opinion on the 875 for Stereo? Well my journey into HT took a slightly circuitous route. I was always enamoured with Yamaha and considered it to be very good for movies. My primary requirement was movies as I had planned to get a completely independent set up for music consisting of a CDP, pream/amp, and separate speakers.

But plans do not work the way you want. Onkyo came in last year with a slew of AVRs that swept everybody off their feet. The 875 specs were simply too good to avoid - THX, 7.1, Audessey Room Correction, and 1080P upscaling with Reon Processor. I took a quick audition in Dubai, liked the sound, and picked it up.

Over the last couple of months I have installed better interconnects (VDH, Tara Labs, etc). I am looking at installing some very good cables for the front speakers.

The 875 delivers superb sound for movies, and really very good sound for music. I have auditioned a number of other systems over the last few months - Yamaha, NAD, CA, etc. The difference is hardly 10% and very difficult to pinpoint. I am now in the process of giving the HT room a complete makeover, and I am sure the 875 will sound even better. I have heard a couple of 5.1 Audios, and here the 875 really shines.

I keep comparing all other system to my own setup. I keep coming back and listening to CDs again to see what is different. I think that is praise enough for the 875.

I will yet be going in for a independent set up for stereo music.

Cheers
hi,venkat forgot to ask u ,have u done the automatic audessy room eq/calibaration,,, i have not done this ,if u have done this is there any audible changes

Hi Venkat,

If one owns a good AVR like the above with 1080p upscaling etc, then do we really need to go for a very high end DVD player like the oppo etc ?:confused:

One could settle for a good budget DVDp also.. ;)
On a different thread, I have been confused over buying a oppo 983/981 to Pioneer 610/510/410 or a Sony PS3 and keeping costs as a factor (I dont believe in overkill) have still not managed to decide?

hi,guru if u have a AVR that upscales to 1080p then u dont need a very high end dvd player ----reasons 1---the signal sent to the AVR should be at 480/570P ,ie it should be sent normally without upscaling if u want the AVR to upscale to your display 2--any normal dvd player with HDMI out from a reputed brand should do the job as the AVR will do the rest ,,,,,,,as regards to PS3 depends if u are into gaming ,its always better to go in for a standalone blu ray player from pana/oppo/pioneer

hi,venkat forgot to ask u ,have u done the automatic audessy room eq/calibaration,,, i have not done this ,if u have done this is there any audible changes

I did use Audessy first. But I did not like the sound. I noted the dB settings and set up the system manually. It took me three or four attempts, but I did get it to my exact liking.

Cheers

I did use Audessy first. But I did not like the sound. I noted the dB settings and set up the system manually. It took me three or four attempts, but I did get it to my exact liking.

Cheers
hi venkat
i set mine manually ,never tried the automatic audessy set up ,so thot was missing something here---thanks a lot

Vector - Option 1 - (1,22,000)
-----------------
Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Front Towers
Diamond 9.CM Center Speaker
Diamond DFS Surround Speakers
Diamond 9.DFS Back Surrounds
SW- 250 subwoofer

Seems like the WF pricing you have quoted to be very high when compared with the pricing i got in Bangalore a month ago. For the same config, I was given a quote of 84,000.

If you would like, I can recheck and let you know the exact price.

Firstly, sincere apologies to everyone for disappearing from the post. Just got way too busy and was travelling and didnt check the forum :(
Srisha, there is only one vendor I found in Hyderabad who deals with Wharfedale. After extensive negotiation, he reduced the price to 96,000 and I have to pay VAT (12.5%) on top of that! Can u please recheck with the vendor at Bangalore and let me know if I am still being overquoted.

moserw: Any other vendors in Hyderabad that you are aware of?

Thanks,
Vasudha

hi , venkat ,no doubt the 875 is superb for movies , i thought in stereo mode it sounded very dull for music 1--there was no bass ,and sub is a must ,, 2--on direct /pure audio modes it was better than stereo mode but still not exciting, 3--sounds good in all chanel stereo ,,---4-- i have used the monster spkr wires and interconnects ----- my CDP is an old marantz 4000ki signature ,,finally now i dont anymore use the 875 for music i picked up a Carver TFM35x pre/power ,and these sound extremely good

For one, I don't think the 875 can be compared to the Carver's. They are different league altogether. Two, I am not much into heavy bass. I prefer my bass to be sharp and tight. When I listen to music, I do not use the sub, and I am very happy with the 875 output. Frankly the only system that made me sit up when compared to my 875 were the Audires.

Cheers

hi venkat
i set mine manually ,never tried the automatic audessy set up ,so thot was missing something here---thanks a lot

I suggest start with the Audyssey and work your way through manual settings. The auto calibration has improved fairly significantly in the past few years and the settings are very close to manual ones using a SPL meter.

usually 2 things are off :

1. Speaker sizes esp. if you are using floorstanders.
2. Sub crossover - usually set high.

Typically I change the fronts to tall and set the sub cross over to 60 Hz (60-100 is the working range).

The Audyssey has gotten better reviews wrt the calibration than the YPAO by Yamaha.

Firstly, sincere apologies to everyone for disappearing from the post. Just got way too busy and was travelling and didnt check the forum :(
Srisha, there is only one vendor I found in Hyderabad who deals with Wharfedale. After extensive negotiation, he reduced the price to 96,000 and I have to pay VAT (12.5%) on top of that! Can u please recheck with the vendor at Bangalore and let me know if I am still being overquoted.

moserw: Any other vendors in Hyderabad that you are aware of?

Thanks,
Vasudha

hi, u cud chk out the prices for the above mentioned wharfadale spkrs from mr masood Mb -09845522937 ,i had recently visited his shop in bangalore

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back