Need help in setting up home theater!!

Subhash,
Thanks for the advise.. I went on the net to check out the reviews. I dont know how much the Optomo HD 80 is available in India. It seems to be a good projector.:)

Satya,
Please do note the following quote from the review I went thru on HD 80:

As noted above there is a limited 1.2x zoom lens and no physical lens shift. This means that extra care must be taken in planning the installation. There is relatively little leeway for the placement of the projector to fill any given screen size. The projector has a comparatively long throw distance for any given screen size. To fill a 100" diagonal screen the projector must be set back to a distance of at least 13.5 and not more than 16 feet. The good news is that this means the projector will usually be behind and away from the viewing audience. Also, the longer throw distance provides for a narrower cone of projected light and a more even illumination of the screen than does a very short throw. The downside is that it will be a bit more difficult to fit into smaller viewing rooms while still having a large image, should that be desired.

Unquote
:p
Please do check with the projector's throw distance table whether the screen decided by you will be possible or not. Alternatively, you might have to look for a different projector/ or the screen.
You must check this aspect before finalising the screen and the projector...:)

hi ,i guess the HD80 shd be available in india with digipro( its based in hydbad) i got my HD65 from them via a dealer in blr (hansa pictures) for 62k and i believe the HD80 is for aprx 1.4,theres a detailed review of HD80 in one of the bak issues of AVmax ,will keep u informed and i dont think set up is a big issue

There are many people talking about the techical details here so I would leave it to them but I would wanna remind you to have all your walls covered with either wood or curtains...
then and only then, you'll be able to enjoy your HT...
so if you can't have that kind or arrangement in your room, you can go for any Reciever+speakers under 100K... any extra money spent on it ain't worth it.
about the projector... think about it twice if you plan to watch TV a lot or cricket matches (more than 7-8 hours at a stretch) as it can affect DLP projectors... and even a very dim source of light can affect the visual effects significantly...

I also have a Denon AVR 3805 , but I am sorry to say that PROfx service here inMumbai is nothing to write about.:mad: They do not have parts and are understaffed. My AVR had a very little problem (it were into standby mode) and I understand from them that a small transistor is required and soebody on the foum told that its a few hours work. The AVR is now lying at their workshop for the last 10days awaiting the transistor.:( I also feel their service charges are exorbitant (he quoted me Rs 5000+parts). :mad:

Of course, the sales guys are always very sweet. Do check on these issues with them since I still feel Denon is a good brand.:confused:

Update on PROFX and Denon:
Today when I checked up regarding the repairs of my AVR, they informed me that they had indented the part and it would take anothe 20 days for my AVR to be repaired.:mad:

There are many people talking about the techical details here so I would leave it to them but I would wanna remind you to have all your walls covered with either wood or curtains...

I can safely say that I don't have all my covered this way but still enjoy my music and HT. I could also be pretty sure to say that most others dont have the same as its impractical. But a majority would enjoy the AV effects.

so if you can't have that kind or arrangement in your room, you can go for any Reciever+speakers under 100K... any extra money spent on it ain't worth it.
about the projector... think about it twice if you plan to watch TV a lot or cricket matches (more than 7-8 hours at a stretch) as it can affect DLP projectors... and even a very dim source of light can affect the visual effects significantly...

ya, definetly room acoustics do play a major role in the quality of sound,apart from thick curtains at the rear and side walls v get this bass traps which when placed at the centre of the 2 main speakers and also at certain points help improve sound to some extent

I can safely say that I don't have all my covered this way but still enjoy my music and HT. I could also be pretty sure to say that most others dont have the same as its impractical. But a majority would enjoy the AV effects.

I tend to agree with Marsilians.:p

Overkill is not required,;) but yes if there are too many flat surfaces that they would tend to resonate a lot and therefore can be treated by making with open shelves to keep books, DVDs etc. Big and wide windows with lot of glass can be treated with heavy drapes/curtains. The roof can be treated by making breakers like beams( wodden) etc. The floor reflections can be treated by using carpets in the right place etc. Corners or seating area can have lot of cushion and materresses which held keep the resonance down. SIMPLE things:cool:.....and they wont cost a bomb but will improve the overall experience.

ENJOY and Cheers! Time for a drink now ... Sat night friends :p

Dear Subhash,
I had mentioned in my earlier post(post #22) that if Pandams are sounding ok then you will really not be able to appreciate an upgrade.:D

I had auditioned the Sonodyne sometime back at Atria Mall in Worli, mumbai and had found their speakers too bright.... and I believe if I have to listen to them for 2hour continously,, I really would not be comfortable. :rolleyes:

Maybe, its the speakers or their audition room which has interestingly a lot of glass walls.....I told them about it.:confused:

I must say that Venkatcr is upgrading very intelligently.... and probably I will follow

hi,guru/venkat/marsilans /and all ---- after all the running around and listeninig to various sourrounds (klipsh RF52, warfadale, sonodyne, jamo c60 and monitor audio RFX) i finally went in for the Jamo C80s , its finally installed and is doing a fabulous job ,,it completes my entire set up with the jamo 800 series ,except the sub ,as i cudnt afford the 800 series sub ,instead i have the velodyne CHTR12

hi,guru/venkat/marsilans /and all ---- after all the running around and listeninig to various sourrounds (klipsh RF52, warfadale, sonodyne, jamo c60 and monitor audio RFX) i finally went in for the Jamo C80s , its finally installed and is doing a fabulous job ,,it completes my entire set up with the jamo 800 series ,except the sub ,as i cudnt afford the 800 series sub ,instead i have the velodyne CHTR12

Good choice Subhash. Now its time to sit back and enjoy the experience for a while as thats what matters at the end after all the opinions/suggestions/auditions/frustrations/decisions ....

Hey Subhash,
Congrats.... finally your ears told you what to buy. :cool:

How much finally the Jamo's C80's set you back?

Enjoy.....

And Guys :
Forgot the Update on PROFx and Denon:

My Denon AVR has still not been repaired by them.They r still waiting for the part (a measly transistor). Its now more than 24 day since they took my AVR!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey Subhash,
Congrats.... finally your ears told you what to buy. :cool:

How much finally the Jamo's C80's set you back?

Enjoy.....

And Guys :
Forgot the Update on PROFx and Denon:

My Denon AVR has still not been repaired by them.They r still waiting for the part (a measly transistor). Its now more than 24 day since they took my AVR!!!!!!

hi guru, the damages for the C80 sorrounds were 53k ,i know its a bit too much to spend on the sorrounds but then as i had the C800 series L/c/R as well go for it ,and the best part was these sounded the best and the build quality/aesthetically these were way above the rest,,,

Hai Satya,
Happy New Year to U.
Yours is not too big room. You hav also informed that you are a novice in HT mattes. Pl. note that as seniors in this forum have expressed Rs.5 Lakhs is too huge a money with which you can purchase 5 sets of high end home theatre setups including making sound proof rooms with fully furnished wall to wall carpets, sound damping materials for all walls, high end electronic lighting, plasmas or LCDs, plush LAZYBOY recliner sofasets, split Air Conditioners, professional Head Phones etc. etc etc... There are lots of yearend sales going on now and you will get bargain deals for your AV setups. You may be surprised to no that it may not be a bad idea to fly to Dubai or Muscat if you have relatives there all the better(Example: Yamaha RX-V-363 costs just 70 rials ie Rs.9000/- in Muscat whereas in India it is selling at Rs.17000/- and plasmas and LCDs are cheapest in Gulf). Since Moserw is in Hydrabad pl. take his help. Pl. dont go for Projectors because the replacement lamps are too costly almost 40% of the cost of Projector itself.

R.Ramamurthy.

Last edited:
Hai Satya,
Happy New Year to U.
Yours is not too big room. You hav also informed that you are a novice in HT mattes. Pl. note that as seniors in this forum have expressed Rs.5 Lakhs is too huge a money with which you can purchase 5 sets of high end home theatre setups including making sound proof rooms with fully furnished wall to wall carpets, sound damping materials for all walls, high end electronic lighting, plasmas or LCDs, plush LAZYBOY recliner sofasets, split Air Conditioners, professional Head Phones etc. etc etc... There are lots of yearend sales going on now and you will get bargain deals for your AV setups. You may be surprised to no that it may not be a bad idea to fly to Dubai or Muscat if you have relatives there all the better(Example: Yamaha RX-V-363 costs just 70 rials ie Rs.9000/- in Muscat whereas in India it is selling at Rs.17000/- and plasmas and LCDs are cheapest in Gulf). Since Moserw is in Hydrabad pl. take his help. Pl. dont go for Projectors because the replacement lamps are too costly almost 40% of the cost of Projector itself.

R.Ramamurthy.

hi, may be the bulbs are expensive but when used properly(with proper bak up/// and allowing the bulb to cool down before swithing off) i dont think the bulbs shud blow fast,,,, i have used my first projector a toshiba for 6 yrs without a problem ,it had done abt 2000+hrs ,and recently upgraded to optoma HD 65 ,,,,,,the size it puts up and the pleasure u get when u watch such a huge display in HD is mindblowing and will put any other kind of displays plasma/lcd at 32''to 50'' to total shame the one draw back is v cant use a projector for normal TV viewing (not worth it at all) so i advice u to have the best of both worlds!! a plasma/lcd for TV and a HD projector for movies

hi, may be the bulbs are expensive but when used properly(with proper bak up/// and allowing the bulb to cool down before swithing off) i dont think the bulbs shud blow fast,,,, i have used my first projector a toshiba for 6 yrs without a problem ,it had done abt 2000+hrs ,and recently upgraded to optoma HD 65 ,,,,,,the size it puts up and the pleasure u get when u watch such a huge display in HD is mindblowing and will put any other kind of displays plasma/lcd at 32''to 50'' to total shame the one draw back is v cant use a projector for normal TV viewing (not worth it at all) so i advice u to have the best of both worlds!! a plasma/lcd for TV and a HD projector for movies

I totally agree with Subhash...:)
I have been using an LG -JT 30(XGA) projector since Feb 2005... and the pleasure you get out of viewing a 100" image is simply mindblowing.:cool:
If used properly as Subhash has explained it should be trouble free. These days the prices of projectors have come down and the life of the bulb have increased, so for viewing movies...it has to be a projector... and a good AVR with matching speakers.

GO for it.........

hi venkat i listened to the 9.6s too ,it was hooked to a nad stereo amp ,,,i found the lows very loose i told the guy abt it ,he told me tht the amp was under powered any way u shd give the JAMO C809s a listen at cinebels and giv me your feed bak of course its heavy on price (abt 1.4) ,,,also your opinion on 875 for music on stereo/pure/direct modes??

Subhash, first of all Congrats. Secondly my apologies for the late reply. Was travelling a bit and have to look at 250 postings. !!!

My opinion on the 875 for Stereo? Well my journey into HT took a slightly circuitous route. I was always enamoured with Yamaha and considered it to be very good for movies. My primary requirement was movies as I had planned to get a completely independent set up for music consisting of a CDP, pream/amp, and separate speakers.

But plans do not work the way you want. Onkyo came in last year with a slew of AVRs that swept everybody off their feet. The 875 specs were simply too good to avoid - THX, 7.1, Audessey Room Correction, and 1080P upscaling with Reon Processor. I took a quick audition in Dubai, liked the sound, and picked it up.

Over the last couple of months I have installed better interconnects (VDH, Tara Labs, etc). I am looking at installing some very good cables for the front speakers.

The 875 delivers superb sound for movies, and really very good sound for music. I have auditioned a number of other systems over the last few months - Yamaha, NAD, CA, etc. The difference is hardly 10% and very difficult to pinpoint. I am now in the process of giving the HT room a complete makeover, and I am sure the 875 will sound even better. I have heard a couple of 5.1 Audios, and here the 875 really shines.

I keep comparing all other system to my own setup. I keep coming back and listening to CDs again to see what is different. I think that is praise enough for the 875.

I will yet be going in for a independent set up for stereo music.

Cheers

Last edited:
Subhash, first of all Congrats. Secondly my apologies for the late reply. Was travelling a bit and have to look at 250 postings. !!!

My opinion on the 875 for Stereo? Well my journey into HT took a slightly circuitous route. I was always enamoured with Yamaha and considered it to be very good for movies. My primary requirement was movies as I had planned to get a completely independent set up for music consisting of a CDP, pream/amp, and separate speakers.

But plans do not work the way you want. Onkyo came in last year with a slew of AVRs that swept everybody off their feet. The 875 specs were simply too good to avoid - THX, 7.1, Audessey Room Correction, and 1080P upscaling with Reon Processor. I took a quick audition in Dubai, liked the sound, and picked it up.

Over the last couple of months I have installed better interconnects (VDH, Tara Labs, etc). I am looking at installing some very good cables for the front speakers.

The 875 delivers superb sound for movies, and really very good sound for music. I have auditioned a number of other systems over the last few months - Yamaha, NAD, CA, etc. The difference is hardly 10% and very difficult to pinpoint. I am now in the process of giving the HT room a complete makeover, and I am sure the 875 will sound even better. I have heard a couple of 5.1 Audios, and here the 875 really shines.

I keep comparing all other system to my own setup. I keep coming back and listening to CDs again to see what is different. I think that is praise enough for the 875.

Cheers

Hi, will newer model 875/876 do the justice to music?

Hi, will newer model 875/876 do the justice to music?

The 875/876 is expensive. We are looking at anywhere from 60 to 90 thousand. If you looking purely for music, a stereo system is always better. If you do not need 1080P scaling engines, you must take a look at Yamaha 863 and 663. They also deliver good music and are at half the price. I am sure there are other models also,

Cheers

The 875/876 is expensive. We are looking at anywhere from 60 to 90 thousand. If you looking purely for music, a stereo system is always better. If you do not need 1080P scaling engines, you must take a look at Yamaha 863 and 663. They also deliver good music and are at half the price. I am sure there are other models also,

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

If one owns a good AVR like the above with 1080p upscaling etc, then do we really need to go for a very high end DVD player like the oppo etc ?:confused:

One could settle for a good budget DVDp also.. ;)
On a different thread, I have been confused over buying a oppo 983/981 to Pioneer 610/510/410 or a Sony PS3 and keeping costs as a factor (I dont believe in overkill) have still not managed to decide?

Hi Venkat,
If one owns a good AVR like the above with 1080p upscaling etc, then do we really need to go for a very high end DVD player like the oppo etc ?:confused:

One could settle for a good budget DVDp also.. ;)
On a different thread, I have been confused over buying a oppo 983/981 to Pioneer 610/510/410 or a Sony PS3 and keeping costs as a factor (I dont believe in overkill) have still not managed to decide?

You are absolutely correct. I have redundant scaling capabilities at home. I have three units all of which scale to 1080P. One (Pioneer 610) uses Mediatek, the Oppo uses VRS, and the Onkyo uses Reon/HQV. I also have a Pioneer 585 that I bought 2 years ago and is giving me robust service connected to a CRT for my wife. I paid less that 5K each for the Pioneers.

I have connected both the Pioneer 610 and the Oppo to the Onkyo. When a I get an original DVD I use the Oppo. When I borrow a DVD from a rental shop. I use the Pioneer. Why did I go for the overkill? I really don't know. I was in the US when I got the Oppo and it seemed a good buy at 15,000 odd.

If you are buying an Pioneer go for the 610. That is a good buy. If you are going for the Oppo go for the 980 or the 983. Not the 981. The 980 and 983 have better sound circuitry.

Regarding the Sony, unless you are an avid gamer, I don't see much value in it. If you want Blu-Ray, it may be better to wait for the BD-83 from Oppo. If I reckon right, it will simply sweep all other players of the shelves. If it has the same capabilities as the 983 and the addition of Blu-Ray, it will be a killer of a player. But again, as I said elsewhere, unless you are buying this in the US, and unless it is region free, it is not worth the cost. In India it will cost somewhere in the region of 45,000. At that price there are other good players available in the market. If you can get the BD-83 at around 20,000 it may make sense.

Cheers

Cheers

hi , venkat ,no doubt the 875 is superb for movies , i thought in stereo mode it sounded very dull for music 1--there was no bass ,and sub is a must ,, 2--on direct /pure audio modes it was better than stereo mode but still not exciting, 3--sounds good in all chanel stereo ,,---4-- i have used the monster spkr wires and interconnects ----- my CDP is an old marantz 4000ki signature ,,finally now i dont anymore use the 875 for music i picked up a Carver TFM35x pre/power ,and these sound extremely good

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back