Need help in setting up Onkyo 3500

Aakash I tried one of the setups but it didn't work. Will try what you suggested though!

offtopic Aakash you look like Sonu Sood! Kahin Kumbh mela ka story to nahi hai na?

Last edited:
Andy...I'm using Onkyo HT-22HDX and I am using this HT for almost all purposes as below:-
Getting 5.1 from Airtel HD-DVR
Playing Movies and Music from laptop with HDMI. (with Stereo and 5.1 sound)
Playing USB movies on TV with 5.1 sound.

Give me some time. I'll try to post some pics (probably video too) of my simple set-up.
Hope it will asnwer all your queries.

Hi TB, Can you help ...by posting pics n videos

I've connected Airtel sat box with a single HDMI cable>AVR & HDMI out from AVR to TV. Is airtel still not giving 5.1 over HDMI? There is the Dolby logo on the set top box.
The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data upstream to an A/V receiver or surround audio controller, increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection.

I could not ascertain if the tv supports ARC but the onkyo 3500 does. Lets look at 2 scenario's ........ with ARC and without ARC.

ARC ON
1 HDMI 1.4 cable from AVR to TV
All other devices like DVD Player, Blueray Player, cable STB, etc will be connected directly to the AVR and not the tv.
You need to enable ARC on the tv and the AVR.

ARC OFF
1 HDMI cable from AVR to TV
1 optical cable from TV Optical Digital Audio Output out to AVR Optical Digital Audio input.

Airtel STB
1 HDMI 1.3 cable from STB to AVR
1 optical cable from STB Optical Digital Audio Output to AVR Optical Digital Audio input.

The above hook up plan will give you 5.1 and would be the best way to connect all your devices. Until Airtel supports 5.1 audio over HDMI this would be the best way to do it. Once they do support 5.1 audio over HDMI, you can remove the optical cable from the STB and only use a single HDMI cable.

Also ensure, to use ARC you need HDMI 1.4 and not 1.3.

Last edited:
Guys shifted recently and now need to setup the above all over again. I tried to so some tweaking around but not able to figure out how to get this working.

Guys, I am using Airtel HD Recorder and it transmit DD 5.1 over HDMI. You don't need to connect Optical cable to Amp. Not Sure about Airtel HD STB.

Read Manual of Onkyo . They have clearly Mention Connection Diagram in page 34(It may have changed).

Connection.

Airtel STB (HDMI) > Onkyo Amp> TV.
First Confiugure your Airtel STB Audio settings.
Second Configure your Onkyo Menu (Source setup).

You will get DD 5.1 for HD channel rest PCM 2.1 (In Input Type) . However you can get All Channel (Neo 5.1/PL II/Dolbly ) in Listening mode as per Choice.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back