Need help in setting up Onkyo 3500

firstly your hdmi control on the avr should be on. Go to setup menu, hdmi setup and set the hdmi control to on. Also in ur tv go the menu go to system and ensure anynet is on. Restart both the tv and avr after setting these 2 options. I hope u have set the tv sound speaker settings to external speaker

secondly when u r watchin movies playing frm tv's usb, what source you see in the avr display...i mean sat, game, bd etc....you should press the tv button as source in ur avr n ensure onkyo displays tv as source

I tried with this cable as well. It's not working!

did you recheck the settings for the onkyo 3500 and the TV? Recheck.......they should work. Have a look:

Which audio formats are supported over the Audio Return Channel?
The Audio Return Channel supports all the same audio formats that can be sent through a traditional S/PDIF audio connection, including Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM audio.

Is the HDMI LipSync feature compatible with the Audio Return Channel?
Yes. Whether the TV is sending audio to the sound system or vice-versa, devices featuring LipSync functionality (introduced in HDMI 1.3) will be able to track and correct for any processor lags, and adjust the delivery of audio and video so that the two signals stay in sync.

Will I need a new cable to support Audio Return Channel functionality?
No. Audio Return Channel -enabled devices can be connected via all the existing categories of HDMI cables.

firstly your hdmi control on the avr should be on. Go to setup menu, hdmi setup and set the hdmi control to on. Also in ur tv go the menu go to system and ensure anynet is on. Restart both the tv and avr after setting these 2 options. I hope u have set the tv sound speaker settings to external speaker
I did just like you mentioned here. Still no luck!
secondly when u r watchin movies playing frm tv's usb, what source you see in the avr display...i mean sat, game, bd etc....you should press the tv button as source in ur avr n ensure onkyo displays tv as source
I see the sources mentioned and selected TV as the source but still doesn't work.

I did just like you mentioned here. Still no luck!

I see the sources mentioned and selected TV as the source but still doesn't work.

from the Onkyo HTS3500 manual:

Audio Return Channel (ARC) funtion

ARC funtion enables an HDMI capable TV to send the audio stream to the HDMI OUT of the AV receiver.

This function can be used when:
-Your TV is ARC capable, and
-The TV/CD input selector is selected and
-"HDMI Ctrl(RIHD) is set to "On" (Page 45), and
-"Audio Return Ch(ARC)" is set to "Auto" (page 46)

from the Onkyo HTS3500 manual:

Audio Return Channel (ARC) funtion

ARC funtion enables an HDMI capable TV to send the audio stream to the HDMI OUT of the AV receiver.

This function can be used when:
-Your TV is ARC capable, and
-The TV/CD input selector is selected and
-"HDMI Ctrl(RIHD) is set to "On" (Page 45), and
-"Audio Return Ch(ARC)" is set to "Auto" (page 46)

Tried all this. Should I try another new HDMI cable?

Tried all this. Should I try another new HDMI cable?

have you tried the HDMI cable elsewhere to see if it works..............I still feel its a config issue rather than the cable. Do you have anyone you could borrow a 1.4 HDMI cable, just to test instead of buying it?

hi, if u r sure u r doing the settings rite then definitely its a cable issue...i faced same issue with one of my hdmi 1.4 cable...try getting a new cable n check

have you tried the HDMI cable elsewhere to see if it works..............I still feel its a config issue rather than the cable. Do you have anyone you could borrow a 1.4 HDMI cable, just to test instead of buying it?
Well the problem is I don't think I have anyone nearby from whom I can borrow and HDMI cable. Also using the HDMI cable I can connect between my laptop and the TV so does that prove that the cable is fine or does it prove cable is fine for normal communication but may not be for ARC.
hi, if u r sure u r doing the settings rite then definitely its a cable issue...i faced same issue with one of my hdmi 1.4 cable...try getting a new cable n check
hmm Any specific brand that you would suggest and what woudl be the cost I bought one from ebay for Rs 149 but that was 1.3.
Buy a belkin brand high speed hdmi cable. This is not too much expensive.
How much would this be? I guess around Rs 500.

The Onkyo guy is also telling that I would need HDMI 1.4 only to use ARC.

What do you guys say should I go for HDMI or Optical?

for me arc works on 1.3 as well....if ur ok with running 2 wires then u buy optical..but remember optical will not support dolby tru hd or dts hd

Well the problem is I don't think I have anyone nearby from whom I can borrow and HDMI cable. Also using the HDMI cable I can connect between my laptop and the TV so does that prove that the cable is fine or does it prove cable is fine for normal communication but may not be for ARC.

hmm Any specific brand that you would suggest and what woudl be the cost I bought one from ebay for Rs 149 but that was 1.3.

How much would this be? I guess around Rs 500.

The Onkyo guy is also telling that I would need HDMI 1.4 only to use ARC.

What do you guys say should I go for HDMI or Optical?

HDMI 1.4 cables are available really cheap on ebay..........might wanna have a look there. If ARC works over HDMI, you don't need optical.

The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data upstream to an A/V receiver or surround audio controller, increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection.

I could not ascertain if the tv supports ARC but the onkyo 3500 does. Lets look at 2 scenario's ........ with ARC and without ARC.

ARC ON
1 HDMI 1.4 cable from AVR to TV
All other devices like DVD Player, Blueray Player, cable STB, etc will be connected directly to the AVR and not the tv.
You need to enable ARC on the tv and the AVR.

ARC OFF
1 HDMI cable from AVR to TV
1 optical cable from TV Optical Digital Audio Output out to AVR Optical Digital Audio input.

Airtel STB
1 HDMI 1.3 cable from STB to AVR
1 optical cable from STB Optical Digital Audio Output to AVR Optical Digital Audio input.

The above hook up plan will give you 5.1 and would be the best way to connect all your devices. Until Airtel supports 5.1 audio over HDMI this would be the best way to do it. Once they do support 5.1 audio over HDMI, you can remove the optical cable from the STB and only use a single HDMI cable.

Also ensure, to use ARC you need HDMI 1.4 and not 1.3.

Hey Aakarsh .. just a quick Question: would it be more effective if there is a dedicated audio line like SPDif connects ?? like ARC OFF method. I know HDMI cable bandwidth is huge but the two way signal traverse seems more traffic-y especially considering if you are running a 1080p or more in one direction coupled a lossless audio running back from TV.. just a thought..

Guys as I'm trying to get the wire meanwhile I wanted a suggestion on one more thing.
What is the best way possible for me to listen to audio songs on my Onkyo?
1. Connect the laptop via HDMI cable to the Onkyo
2. Connect any MP3 Player to the Onkyo.

Most of my recent collection has MP3 with a bitrate of around 256 Kbps which are there both in my MP3 Player and the Laptop. I think I need to get some collection which has over 320 Kbps bit rate or FLAC format. Any suggestions on this front?

Guys as I'm trying to get the wire meanwhile I wanted a suggestion on one more thing.
What is the best way possible for me to listen to audio songs on my Onkyo?
1. Connect the laptop via HDMI cable to the Onkyo
2. Connect any MP3 Player to the Onkyo.

Most of my recent collection has MP3 with a bitrate of around 256 Kbps which are there both in my MP3 Player and the Laptop. I think I need to get some collection which has over 320 Kbps bit rate or FLAC format. Any suggestions on this front?

Andy...I'm using Onkyo HT-22HDX and I am using this HT for almost all purposes as below:-
Getting 5.1 from Airtel HD-DVR
Playing Movies and Music from laptop with HDMI. (with Stereo and 5.1 sound)
Playing USB movies on TV with 5.1 sound.

Give me some time. I'll try to post some pics (probably video too) of my simple set-up.
Hope it will asnwer all your queries.

Andy...I'm using Onkyo HT-22HDX and I am using this HT for almost all purposes as below:-
Getting 5.1 from Airtel HD-DVR
Playing Movies and Music from laptop with HDMI. (with Stereo and 5.1 sound)
Playing USB movies on TV with 5.1 sound.

Give me some time. I'll try to post some pics (probably video too) of my simple set-up.
Hope it will asnwer all your queries.

Thanks Technobhatt

My first query is how will I connect the AVR to the TV so that I can get the audio in 5.1 which is being played out of the USB port of the TV. So in essence it's TV out to the AVR. I think my current option would be to get an Optical cable and connect it from TV to AVR to get the desired result. However till I get hold of an optical cable is it possible to get the required thing using HDMI or any other cable?

My second query is the Onkyo guy who came to set up the system informed that if we have Airtel HD Settop box and if we want to get 5.1 surround from the HD channels I need to use Optical cable between AVR and the Airtel DTH box. HDMI will not give me the 5.1 surround. Tata Sky would have been able to give 5.1 through HDMI but not possible with Airtel using HDMI. Could this be true?

(
Guys first query solution found. Finally able to hook up using new HDMI Ver 1.4 cable MX and able to get 5.1 output from movie played on TV and connected to AVR.

But need help in setting up the connection between Airtel and TV. Have bought an optical cable.
Please help!

Guys first query solution found. Finally able to hook up using new HDMI Ver 1.4 cable MX and able to get 5.1 output from movie played on TV and connected to AVR.

But need help in setting up the connection between Airtel and TV. Have bought an optical cable.
Please help!

Congrats.........finally!!! I'm glad you got that sorted out. Ok this is what you need to do for Airtel STB. I presume everything else is hooked up correctly so I am not going to go into all the connection, just going to refer to the STB.

AUDIO
Airtel STB audio Optical out > HT AVR audio optical in: Optical Cable

VIDEO
Otion 1 Airtel STB > HT AVr > TV : HDMI (preferred)
Option 2 Airtel STB > TV : HDMI (if you dont want the AVR running while watching tv programs)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back