Need help in setup alteco speakers as surround

honestmuggle

Hello friends,

I hope you are all fine, this forum has been very beneficial for me to set up my first ever 5.1.4 setup. I am enjoying it a lot.
Thank you @liverpool_for_life @headcase for their unconditional support. I am sincerely grateful to you guys, for enlightening me.

So recently, I have done some repositioning of my speakers, especially the surround speakers which are dali alteco c1.
and also added a pair of svs prime elevation speakers just above the main listening position, to complete 5.1.4

As per this diagram from Dali manuals, I placed the surround speakers roughly 1.5ft above the ear levels and switched the button to "down" so that it will throw the sound directly at MLP.

images-34.jpeg

Here is a glimpse of my sitting area.

01-c.jpg

Just above the surround speakers, on the ceiling, you can see "svs speakers" are mounted.

So here my confusion is, will it have adequate room for a sound separation between side surround and ceiling speakers? I have tried to keep them as separate as possible. But I didn't bring those alteco speakers very down 1) as they are usually down-firing speakers. 2) The windows on right side are blocking and 3) the cable length coming from the ceiling is limited.

My second thought is, usually, I don't distinguish the sound coming from above or side surround, It all simply blends in a way I don't notice much. Perhaps I am overthinking or paying too much attention to my surround and atmos speakers. But I sometimes feel difficult to identify which sound is coming from which speakers unless I am playing a dedicated atmos demo content.

02-c.jpg03-c.jpg

Please ignore the colours of the room, my living room was never intended for a home theatre, but soon I will paint it a darker colour.

Please help and advise, if you think any changes are required. (I have not done Audyssey calibration yet) everything is done manually.

So here my confusion is, will it have adequate room for a sound separation between side surround and ceiling speakers?

No.

2) The windows on right side are blocking

Pretty big problem, this.

But I sometimes feel difficult to identify which sound is coming from which speakers unless I am playing a dedicated atmos demo content.

While I understand the sentiment of looking for sounds from speakers you've just installed, you're not looking for sounds from specific speakers. You really want to be immersed by sounds from around and above you. Your current surround positioning will not allow for separation between ear level and above, unless you have discrete overhead effects in the mix. They're there, but few and far between. And very rarely as spectacular as they're in the Atmos demos.

Please help and advise, if you think any changes are required. (I have not done Audyssey calibration yet) everything is done manually.

Audyssey can help with getting better sound, but not with the specific problem you have wrt overheads. Which is why I advised against adding 2 more of those in your original thread. Unless you find a way to lower the surrounds, you're out of luck. Sorry.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back