Need Help- My Plasma is dead

anup_ja

I own panny V20D plasma. yesterday when i tried to start the TV i sow the power LED blinking 4 times and not responding to remote control. I searched on the internet and came accross the error code for SN board failuar. I called up the panny service center and technician came today and just sow the 4 blinks which i already told him.

He dignosed the same thing and said the repair is not possible here you have to submit TV to the servce center. 2. Panny stoped the support for plasmas in 2014 and the parts are no more avilable.

He said the cost of the board if you get one will be around 5-7 k :sad:

I am not in big worry what should i do. Should i submit my TV to panny service center and get the current board repaird or should i replace the new board?

Please suggest me if the best solution.

Last edited:
IF you can spend money to buy a new TV , please go ahead . Otherwise , i dont think anybody in the forum will be able to help other than sugegsting to go to panasonic service centre as it is a outdated TV.

I think it should have cost you about 45-50K when you bought as it is a 5-6 year old model if i am not wrong.

What is the probability that pana service center is saying on the repair and will there be any further issues (if theres any history of issues with the TV after couple of years of usage) .

Option 1:
AllinALL , 8K for a year assuming you bought in 2010 for 48K (8*6yrs) is a fair deal. So if you repair and it works for a year, it is still a fair deal than throwing away

Option 2 : Buy a new one with more features(wifi/4K/HD/surround sound etc... ) at a higher price , chances are taht after 4-5 years you will still end up on a similar situation . The cost of carry per year would be higher than what you have spent on 20D .

Bottom line : Lifespan of most TV depending on usgae will start showing up after 4-5 years and we probably need to repair if you have dont want to spend on a new TV , if you can buy a new one.

HTH

You will not get same quality in any other TV. and if repair cost is between 5-7 K then surely you can send it to service center. Before that even you can check the same with local repair person. Some times there might be a problem of only dry solder.

If repair cost is 5-7 k then it's worth getting it repaired, but check and confirm about part availability, there is similar thread wherein panny team confirmed repair but then backed out as parts were not available.

Other option to exchange if you ready to spend and it will be difficult to get good deal with such condition.

All the best..

@sunilgct, it is a V20 plasma. I can guarantee you that he did not buy it for less than 60K (cost will be much higher if it happens to be a 50 incher).
To the OP: you should give it to the service centre for repairs. Nothing else you can do..... I would suggest that if you can get it repaired for 5-7k then you should go for it. You will be hard pressed to find similar PQ in today's LEDs.

Thank you guys for quick reply. As everyone think i have submitted my TV to authorized service center. They arranged transport and picked it up from my place.

They diagnosed the SC board is dead and causing issue. SC board is costing 8500 INR so the total coast will go up to 10000INR including service tax.

Now i have took the risk and asked him to replace the board because i really dont want to loose that TV. I have purchased that TV in 2011 for 60K because panasonic brought the patents for Kuro technology and i was very very happy with the picture quality of the panel. Hope i will get my TV back in as it was earlier.

Thanks alot again for the great help. I will update you on the developments.

Its nothing but the T V was going to safety mode to avoid severe / major damage to other components. I have a good contact in Chennai who can do chip level servicing in boards. I wish your TV is in Chennai. Any how you have decided to go in for board replacement, or else I would have asked you to send the board to me to give it a try.

Goodluck.

R. Balagopalan.

Its nothing but the T V was going to safety mode to avoid severe / major damage to other components. I have a good contact in Chennai who can do chip level servicing in boards. I wish your TV is in Chennai. Any how you have decided to go in for board replacement, or else I would have asked you to send the board to me to give it a try.

Goodluck.

R. Balagopalan.

Thanks man. I am hoping best for my TV. I will keep you posted. Meanwhile if anyone from Pune city have contacts who can do chip level servicing please let me know.

Last edited:
@ anup_ja, out of curiosity, do you know the usage hours on your TV as shown in the service menu?

@ anup_ja, out of curiosity, do you know the usage hours on your TV as shown in the service menu?

No i need to check the exact hours. But the average usage per day was around 5 hours. I purchased it in June 2011. So it may be around 6000 to 6500 hours.

Exact same issue with my Phillips HD CRT TV 3 years ago after 7 yrs of use. The issue was traced by my elder brother as a blown capacitor In The SMPS cot which costed just Rs.12/- to repair and the TV works great even today. Some capacitors are prone to leak and blow. After years of use. The service centre replace the entire board instead of the component and keep on rotating the board. Do not expect any new board for your tv it would have been repaired from some other batch. That's how they are still in business.

Exact same issue with my Phillips HD CRT TV 3 years ago after 7 yrs of use. The issue was traced by my elder brother as a blown capacitor In The SMPS cot which costed just Rs.12/- to repair and the TV works great even today. Some capacitors are prone to leak and blow. After years of use. The service centre replace the entire board instead of the component and keep on rotating the board. Do not expect any new board for your tv it would have been repaired from some other batch. That's how they are still in business.

Hari Iyer do you mean that they install refurbish boards?? If that is the case then its too costly affair to change the board. I have informed the service center to give me back my faulty board and i am really curious to know what is the exact issue with SC board which is blown. I still not got the TV back from service center and really worried if they turn up saying the board is not available.
:(

Hari Iyer do you mean that they install refurbish boards?? If that is the case then its too costly affair to change the board. I have informed the service center to give me back my faulty board and i am really curious to know what is the exact issue with SC board which is blown. I still not got the TV back from service center and really worried if they turn up saying the board is not available.
:(

Nothing to worry, it's a standard practice in all companies to replace it with a working available board and deliver the TV to you soon to reduce lead time. They then repair your board in the mean while and will use r some where else. No company in the world will scrap an entire board of only one or two component needs replacement. In fact all do this. If they do not have spare board then they will have to import from parent company which can take long time . If not they will need to repair your board if they have the skills and spare parts. If your delivery is taking longer than usual then my fear is it's the second case.i

Thanks Hari for inputs.
Yesterday i got call from service center and they said that we have changed the SC board but now the panel has issues. :( ... I told them am not keen to change the panel. Then they said let me check again and see what we can do. I am now really scared if there is something fishy going on.

They are taking long time to investigate and now they are saying panel is also dead. I have escalated case to MD Panasonic but still no response from him too.

If there is no choice then i will take back my tv as it is. And have no choice but to give it in buy back.

Guys please suggest me if you have different experience or thoughts

I visited service center today and now they are saying the panel is also short with SC board. The estimated cost for panel and SC board given to me is 57500 INR which is more than the cost of the TV....

I requested them to give my TV back with faulty SC board what I had.

I want to know what causes the panel to short. Is it heat or voltage fluctuations??

Hari is right. I used to work for a electronics and telecom major, long time ago and this is what was done :)

Fix the board, put in on the spares inventory. Someone comes with equipment with a problem, replace the whole board with a repaired one from the spares inventory and then re-cycle the original. When some customers asked for the defective part, they used to say, it is against company policy to return the damaged part. Then when people used to threaten legal action, they used to say that the government has issued orders for careful disposal of electronic waste :)

Honestly, if you want to find dishonest practices, the world of consumer electronics and mobile phone servicing and used car reselling (from all auto majors) is full of dubious practices in India.

Last edited:
Hi Anup,

Below is what I've gathered from Net, 4 blinks is the Power SOS P Board.
Im facing 7 red blinks issue and my TV is not coming on.
I've been given an estimate of 9500/ by Panasonic but I'm not giving the TV away and have asked them to repair the TV at home.
Hope it works.:sad:
All the best and will keep you updated.

Cheers:)

BLINKS PROBLEM MALFUNCTIONING PART
==========================

1 blink STV 5v sense DG Board

2 blinks 15v SOS D Board

3 blinks 3.3v SOS D Board

4 blinks Power SOS P Board

5 blinks 5v SOS D Board

6 blinks Driver SOS 1 SU / SD / SC Boards
(SC energy recovery circuit)

7 blinks Driver SOS 2 SU / SD / SS Boards
(SC floating voltage area)

8 blinks Driver SOS 3 SS Board
(SS energy recovery circuit)

9 blinks Panel Config. SOS

10 blinks Sub 5v SOS / Main 3v SOS DG Board
DTV 9v SOS / Tuner Power SOS

11 blinks Fan SOS PB Board

12 blinks Sound SOS H Board

13 blinks Communication error DG Board
with IC8001 (Pesks Lite 2)

All the best.

Hi Anup,

Below is what I've gathered from Net, 4 blinks is the Power SOS P Board.
Im facing 7 red blinks issue and my TV is not coming on.
I've been given an estimate of 9500/ by Panasonic but I'm not giving the TV away and have asked them to repair the TV at home.
Hope it works.:sad:
All the best and will keep you updated.

Cheers:)

BLINKS PROBLEM MALFUNCTIONING PART
==========================

1 blink STV 5v sense DG Board

2 blinks 15v SOS D Board

3 blinks 3.3v SOS D Board

4 blinks Power SOS P Board

5 blinks 5v SOS D Board

6 blinks Driver SOS 1 SU / SD / SC Boards
(SC energy recovery circuit)

7 blinks Driver SOS 2 SU / SD / SS Boards
(SC floating voltage area)

8 blinks Driver SOS 3 SS Board
(SS energy recovery circuit)

9 blinks Panel Config. SOS

10 blinks Sub 5v SOS / Main 3v SOS DG Board
DTV 9v SOS / Tuner Power SOS

11 blinks Fan SOS PB Board

12 blinks Sound SOS H Board

13 blinks Communication error DG Board
with IC8001 (Pesks Lite 2)

All the best.

Thanks for the help. I have gone through the list but as Panasonic service center reply is the Panel is short now and gave me estimate Rs 57500 :sad: to repair the panel. I got few pic of my plsma.

Attachments

• IMG_20150613_114629.jpg
    IMG_20150613_114629.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20150613_114637.jpg
    IMG_20150613_114637.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20150613_114649.jpg
    IMG_20150613_114649.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20150613_114703.jpg
    IMG_20150613_114703.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20150613_114712.jpg
    IMG_20150613_114712.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the help. I have gone through the list but as Panasonic service center reply is the Panel is short now and gave me estimate Rs 57500 :sad: to repair the panel. I got few pic of my plsma.

Which card requires replacement?
Please if you could quote the name/part no of the faulty card.

Thanks in advance.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back