Need help on calculations to reset AVR max volume limit

kamalgaur

Hi,

In my Denon AVR, there's a default scale of 0-99 for volume, which my dealer/installer set by default to a maximum of 80 while setting up the home theater.

At 80, the volume's pretty loud, but not necessarily too too loud, and I want to explore bumping up the maximum volume limit.

I want to do that safely (without blowing up my AVR or speakers) and hence would like to understand how I should accurately calculate the maximum volume ceiling I should set, based on the equipment that I have.

I have the following 5.1 setup -

AV RECEIVER - Denon AVR-X2200W
95 W - Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)
125 W - Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)
185 W - Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)

FLOORSTANDERS (x2) - Dali Zensor 7
6 - Nominal Impedance [ohms]
90.0 - Sensitivity (2.83 V/1 m) [dB]
110 - Maximum SPL [dB]
40 W to 150 W - Recommended Amplifier Power [W]

CENTER (x1) - Dali Zensor Vokal
6 - Nominal Impedance [ohms]
88.5 - Sensitivity (2.83 V/1 m) [dB]
30 W to 120 W - Recommended Amplifier Power [W]
109 - Maximum SPL [dB]

SURROUNDS (x2) - Wharfedale DFS
6 - Impedance [ohms]
86.0 - Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) [dB]
15 W to 200 W - Power Handling

SUBWOOFER (x1) - Velodyne Wi-Q 12"

Feel free to share the process/math/calculations on this thread, so that others can also benefit from the information.

How often do you see yourself nearing 80? I dont know the Math behind it as I guess there is no fixed calculation since there could be numerous variables in different setups. However, 80% cap is a safe place to be in most of the systems.

You can unlock the limit from the setup and using an SPL meter check for the sound levels you reach on increasing the volume before the amp starts to clip, a tweeter begins to heat up, neighbors start calling in, etc.

MaSh

Hi,

Unlike a stereo amp which has a fixed preamp which determines the output levels to L + R channels etc. The AVR besides the volume factor also has speaker levels which are set @ conservative levels after audyssey run.

Usually, I tweak these settings so that I get maximum optimal performance from my Marantz...

What is achieved is performance like a stereo amp with more punch...ofcourse it depends on which speakers are used, their capabilities etc...lot of trial and error testing done to see which gels well.

Feel free to share the process/math/calculations on this thread, so that others can also benefit from the information.

Is the Audyssey set-up calibration complete ? One of the Audyssey function (Dynamic EQ)helps to get reference volume levels at a very low volume / normal listening level's..

Once done, you may not be required to turn up the volume so much...

Last edited:
Just increase the Input source Levels settings on the AMP. Wouldn't that work? I have it up by around 6-10dB for 4 sources PC, PS4, PS3, DTH individually.

BTW can you get UE SPL app and measure the dB levels at 80% volume from a quiet passage in a Movie and and all action scene?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back