Need help on digital out for panasonic plasma TH-P42V20D

sanjeev_J

I have purchased Panasonic Plasma TH-P42V20D recently. I am very happy with the picture quality. I have question here on digital out (panasonic has one fiber digital out on the back panel)

Here is the my home-theatre set-up:

- HP HDX 16t laptop (with blue ray drive and HDMI out)
- The laptop HDMI out is connected to Panasonic HDMI-in
- for Audio purpose; taken digital out (using fiber) from Plasma TV to my Yamaha receiver 795a (which is 10 years old and doesn't have HDMI input; it does have fiber input though)

Now, when I play a DVD (audio: Dolby digital) in my blueray disk (in laptop); Video quality is excellent on TV but my receiver shows audio input as "Dolby Prologic" in stead "Dolby Digital". Laptop software shows it is sending Dolby Digital Audio to Panasonic TV. But the TV is not routing the same audio signals to the receiver. I have checked for possible settings in TV but unable to find it. Any help here is appreciated.

This is because the TV is outputting 2.0 channels to the receiver via the optical cable and hence you are getting the Dolby ProLogic which is downgrading the sound quality.

The optical out in TV is used as 5.1 only when you use a HD channel thru it. The TV has a HD decoder and decodes the channel and outputs 5.1 to the receiver thru the optical cable.

Moreover you check in the manual of the TV, it should be mentioned in that.

I hope this solves your query.

Thanks Saketb, for the prompt reply. Possibly, you are right. I am yet to order Tatasky with HD services that can confirm, (true) digital audio out is only meant for HD tranmissions. But still, I wonder why TV doesn't pass the audio signal as it as to receiver (BTW, manual doesn't talk about much and local shop keepers have very little understanding of the issues)

If ur laptob has optical/coaxial output then connect it to ht. You can connect hdmi to tv and off the tv speakers. If the above connection is proper u can get 5.1 sound thru ht.

Thanks RamKD., My laptop doesn't have optical or co-axial out. It does have HDMI and typcial; stereo out for headphones. Dolby is sent through HDMI port (problem is , receiver doesn't have the HDMI interface; otherwise through splitter, I could have solved this problem) One more option could be; search if any splitter available that takes HDMI as input and later it splits into two ports (one optical and another HDMI). Or best way is to replace my existing DVD player with new one (Blueray); rather than using laptop !!

Congrats for your purchase of the amazing tv, can you please share the damage and the place from where you brought it. Tried to find v20 in pune and the most common reply was, "Saaar, why go for Plasma?"

I have purchased Panasonic Plasma TH-P42V20D recently. I am very happy with the picture quality. I have question here on digital out (panasonic has one fiber digital out on the back panel)

Here is the my home-theatre set-up:

- HP HDX 16t laptop (with blue ray drive and HDMI out)
- The laptop HDMI out is connected to Panasonic HDMI-in
- for Audio purpose; taken digital out (using fiber) from Plasma TV to my Yamaha receiver 795a (which is 10 years old and doesn't have HDMI input; it does have fiber input though)

Now, when I play a DVD (audio: Dolby digital) in my blueray disk (in laptop); Video quality is excellent on TV but my receiver shows audio input as "Dolby Prologic" in stead "Dolby Digital". Laptop software shows it is sending Dolby Digital Audio to Panasonic TV. But the TV is not routing the same audio signals to the receiver. I have checked for possible settings in TV but unable to find it. Any help here is appreciated.

@Sanjeev,
do you have Picture in Picture in v20D?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back