Need help on Powered Subwoofer wiring and testing

rsponline

Hello,

I bought new Kenwood KSC-SW11 Powered subwoofer for my car few days ago

As it is lockdown time, I am not able to install it in my car. Before that I would like to test/use in my stereo setup at home.
I was going through wiring diagram in user manual where it mentions about ground wire connection(check Black wire in attached image).
Complete Manual can be found here http://media.datatail.com/docs/manual/340622_en.pdf

1585645768347.png
I would like to connect DC 12V power supply to it so below are connections I am planing to do

- Power Supply + ve -> Yellow
- Power Supply + ve -> P - CONT
- Power Supply -ve -> Black

Please let me know this is fine as document says 'connect black to car metal part'

One more question is connecting speaker level input.

My home amplifier does not have sub-woofer out .
So is it fine if I connect speaker L/R out put to LINE - IN of subwoofer ?

Thanks.

Sorry did not see that thread.

It is simple to connect.

1st on powering the amplifier.
The active subwoofer will have three inputs. Power (+ve), Ground (-ve) and remote turn on.
For connecting at home, use a 30amp 220 to 12 volt converter and connect the 12 volt line to the +ve of the amplifier.
The use a small wire and connect it between remote turn on and the +ve of the amplifier to which you have connected the 12 volt line.
Then connect a wire between ground and the ground of your 12 volt power source.
Be very careful (short only +ve and remote turn-on and connect +12V of DC out to +12V of Kenwood. In effect there will be 2 wires to '+' on the Kenwood amp and one each for 'remote turn on' and the 'Ground'

As you do not have any pre outputs or subwoofer outputs in your amplifier, connect the speaker outputs of the amplifier (left ad right) to the speaker input connector of the Kenwood subwoofer. As you have only one pair of speaker outputs in home amp, ignore the two pairs of connection shown in the manual (as car head units have both front and rear outputs).
Maintain phase coherence (i.e connect '+ to +' and '- to -' for both left an right speakers.

Any doubts, you can whatsapp me in 9840970091 while trying it out.

Regards
Kannan

Thanks for reply kannan.

So what i understood is correct then

- Power Supply + ve -> Yellow
- Power Supply + ve -> P - CONT
- Power Supply -ve -> Black

One more thing
I was worried on Caution they mentioned about connecting Black to ground (metal part of car)
I don't understand why it will damage subwoofer if we do not connect black wire to metal part.
I will not work if on power on in that case but how can it damage ?

Thanks,
Rohan

I don't understand why it will damage subwoofer if we do not connect black wire to metal part.

This is for the car install.
In a car, its whole body is ground as the battery ground is wired to the body of the car.

So in car, what you do is...identify a nut close to the amp install, and use emri paper to completely scrap off the paint and then tap the ground from there using a ring terminal. This will ensure a strong ground point for your amp and prevent interference entering the audio.

ok thanks .. let me try .. will update it here.

I have 12v 5amp supply right now. Hope it works with it.

ok then i don't want to take risk. Will wait for lock down to get over.

Thanks for help.

Bring the car battery inside your house and try.

Regards,

Denzil

Back