Need help placing my home theatre in a square room...

argurpreet321

Hi guys,
I need some help setting up my home theatre in my newly bought flat. I have only a small room to work with here 11'x 10'6" which was the smallest bedroom. I already have the equipment comprising of Kef q500 fronts, a matching q200c centre and two kef c series surround along with a small wharfedale sub. I am using a samung 40" led tv with this setup. I plan to retain the same stuff and my usage would be 50-50 for movies and music. My concern here is about all the stuff I have read online regarding square rooms not being suitable for home theatres. Also I would not be able to spend too much right now on acoustical treatments. Please guide me as to how best to use this space as real estate is really expensive here in Delhi and I don't have much choice with the room dimensions. I am attaching a plan of the room. I would be grateful for any help that I can get.
Thanks guys...

Attachments

• IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 91
No replies...??? Am i doing something wrong here guys? Not following proper protocol perhaps?
It's true that sub bass hates square rooms. I got the experience recently as I have moved my setup from 15X11 to 11X11 and I found that my subs wharfedale sw150 and svs Pc 12 plus are useless.i could not listen to subs at all ( not the better integration though[emoji6] ) I had to satisfy with the bass from towers for now which is not permanent. Iam forced to use the subs in living room with out a choice.

For room treatment u can't go wrong with curtains on sides and stuff the room to some extent like having furniture, things on racks etc..

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

My concern here is about all the stuff I have read online regarding square rooms not being suitable for home theatres.
The ONLY problem with square rooms is that the peaks & dips across the width of the room are at the same frequencies as the peaks & dips along the length of the room. But that's no longer a problem IF you place your subs & speakers where they cancel width-related peaks & dips AND place your seating so that you avoid length-related peaks & dips. You end up with much smoother frequency response at the listening area. And this is before using any treatments or room correction.

Looking at your room diagram, the wall with the doors should be the back wall of your set-up (always better to have room irregularities behind you, where our human hearing is not so good). That gives you a clean front wall & side walls for a symmetrical soundstage (important when watching movies AND listening to music).

you do not much options in that room due to the opening to the toilet. you will have to use the wall next to the entry door for placing the Tv and the opp side for seating. This would obstruct the opening to the balcony though.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back