Need Help! Right speaker not in phase (as per audyssey)

angynagpal

Hi All,
I recently purchased the Wharfedale DX-1 and Denon 1713 package. While running the Audyssey, it gives the error that the Front Right speaker is not in Phase. I have checked the wires, and they seem to be connected correctly (Black written side on +, the plain side on -) on both speaker and avr. I even tried to switch the wires on the avr, but audyssey still states that the speaker is out of phase.

Further, I switched the front left and front right wires on the AVR (this way the front right speaker was now front left) & ran the audyssey test and the result was that the front left speaker was out of phase. So this shows that it is that particular speaker that is out of phase. Any idea on what the reason could be? Is there anything wrong with the speaker? Please help...am getting concerned by this. I read a few posts on the net regarding this, and in one it states that the speaker company sometimes reverse the phase on purpose. But if that was the case then when I switched the wires on the avr, it shouldnt have given me the error again.

Also, while running a bluray rip (Avengers) the right speaker gives a 'phhattt' sound in the scene (within the first 5 minutes of the movie) where the helicopter flies over the mountains (Sound moves from Rear Right to Front Right to Center with good bass). This happens when the volume is 80db and more. If I keep it at 78db, the sound is not audible. Any help for these two issues would greatly appreciated !!

Edit: I posted the same query in another post, but thought of opening a new thread for this as the old post is a part of a different topic, so this query may go unnoticed. If that is a problem, mods may delete this post.

While running Audyssey, I also get FR or FL "not detected" but I ignore the error and proceed for next step since beep beep sound is audible properly in Step 1

Hi All,
I recently purchased the Wharfedale DX-1 and Denon 1713 package. While running the Audyssey, it gives the error that the Front Right speaker is not in Phase. I have checked the wires, and they seem to be connected correctly (Black written side on +, the plain side on -) on both speaker and avr. I even tried to switch the wires on the avr, but audyssey still states that the speaker is out of phase.

Further, I switched the front left and front right wires on the AVR (this way the front right speaker was now front left) & ran the audyssey test and the result was that the front left speaker was out of phase. So this shows that it is that particular speaker that is out of phase. Any idea on what the reason could be? Is there anything wrong with the speaker? Please help...am getting concerned by this. I read a few posts on the net regarding this, and in one it states that the speaker company sometimes reverse the phase on purpose. But if that was the case then when I switched the wires on the avr, it shouldnt have given me the error again.

Also, while running a bluray rip (Avengers) the right speaker gives a 'phhattt' sound in the scene (within the first 5 minutes of the movie) where the helicopter flies over the mountains (Sound moves from Rear Right to Front Right to Center with good bass). This happens when the volume is 80db and more. If I keep it at 78db, the sound is not audible. Any help for these two issues would greatly appreciated !!

Edit: I posted the same query in another post, but thought of opening a new thread for this as the old post is a part of a different topic, so this query may go unnoticed. If that is a problem, mods may delete this post.

When you say you reversed the wires on the AVR I am assuming that the Right speaker is connected to the left channel of your AVR and Vice Versa. Not sure how Audyssey will factor this as the calibration software will be confused. Please connect normally
I had similar problem with Audyssey showing my rear speakers to be out of phase/ However when I ran the test again with all obstructions removed between the speakers and the MIC it was showing correctly.

Also please check the following.

a) The speaker wires are same brand and almost equal length, no shorting at ends and properly terminated.
b) Speakers are placed equidistant from MIC
c) There is clear line of sight between the MIC and speakers with out any obstruction
d) And very important not to have any external sounds while you are running the test

Finally if the problem persists interchange the speakers physically. Do not change anything else - not even the connecting wires. (Disconnect teh speaker end and change). If out of phase error shifts from right to left the problem can be attributed to speakers else its the room accoustics

Last edited:
if it was A diy speakr i would have asked you to check the internal driver wiring
the tweeter and woofer are probably playingout of phase due to incorrect wiring

however since this is a mass produced speaker
that error is difficult to contemplate

When you say you reversed the wires on the AVR I am assuming that the Right speaker is connected to the left channel of your AVR and Vice Versa. Not sure how Audyssey will factor this as the calibration software will be confused. Please connect normally
I had similar problem with Audyssey showing my rear speakers to be out of phase/ However when I ran the test again with all obstructions removed between the speakers and the MIC it was showing correctly.

Also please check the following.

a) The speaker wires are same brand and almost equal length, no shorting at ends and properly terminated.
b) Speakers are placed equidistant from MIC
c) There is clear line of sight between the MIC and speakers with out any obstruction
d) And very important not to have any external sounds while you are running the test

Finally if the problem persists interchange the speakers physically. Do not change anything else - not even the connecting wires. (Disconnect teh speaker end and change). If out of phase error shifts from right to left the problem can be attributed to speakers else its the room accoustics

HI, thanks for the reply. By reversing the wire, I mean switching between the + and - in avr.
I have already ensured tht all the points you mentioned are done correctly. Will try physically changing the speaker.

In my case it was the front Left speaker that was out of phase during calibration. Actuality - it was a problem with the calibration software

Downloaded the latest version of the Software, did the calibration again and the problem went away

Hi guys,
Here is an update on the phase issue:

1) Tried running audyssey 3-4 times, but the same result, i.e. right speaker not in phase.
2) Exhanged the speaker's location with Surround Left, and ran Audyssey. No Phase Error reported now!!! Ran audyssey again just to verify, and again no error reported....so that is sorted out :D.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs :)!!!

Have also got the 'Phhattt' noise sorted out as well :)!! It seems the speaker was making that noise at a particular low frequency only. Tweaked a few settings (will talk about it in this thread if someone interested :p) and tried the same video clip, that noise is now gone :yahoo:

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Here is an update on the phase issue:

1) Tried running audyssey 3-4 times, but the same result, i.e. right speaker not in phase.
2) Exhanged the speaker's location with Surround Left, and ran Audyssey. No Phase Error reported now!!! Ran audyssey again just to verify, and again no error reported....so that is sorted out :D.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs :)!!!

Have also got the 'Phhattt' noise sorted out as well :)!! It seems the speaker was making that noise at a particular low frequency only. Tweaked a few settings (will talk about it in this thread if someone interested :p) and tried the same video clip, that noise is now gone :yahoo:

Since i have bought the same speakers and shall be going for the same receiver, I would be interesting interested in knowing what you did.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Since i have bought the same speakers and shall be going for the same receiver, I would be interesting interested in knowing what you did.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I just tweaked the crossover settings a bit....+ kept the same dB level for Bass as calculated by Audyssey (Audyssey calculated it at -5.00 dB, which I had increased to -1.00 dB. I put it back at -5.00 and instead increased the bass volume on the sub itself). That seemed to have eliminated the problem.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back