Need help selecting an AVR: Yamaha RX-V685 or Denon X1500H

nec2152

Hey guys,
I'm building a new HT from scratch and I started by looking at a Polk soundbar called command bar, and soon with the guidance of a friend, graduated to looking for true-HT systems (I was initially shying away from wiring up the place and hence leaning towards wireless stuff but once I bit the bullet, wiring for a 7.1 setup doesn't seem like a big deal anymore, given that I'll enjoy great sound in the end).

In the HT land, I started with YHT-1800 and soon the itch to cover more ground in terms of features & future-proofing took my budget from 30K INR to 80 INR. I'm now looking at entry level Atmos systems. I think I'm now ok until 90-100K but don't want to go beyond that.
Among AVRs, I have recently looked at Yamaha RX-V585, Yamaha RX-V685, Denon X1400H and Denon X1500H.

I'm now mostly hung up on either Yamaha RX-V685 or Denon X1500H (both around 55-57K INR).

I've made a list of pros/cons of one over the other and here it is:

Things Yamaha 685 does better than Denon X1500H
  1. 2 HDMI out instead of 1
  2. 90W/channel vs 80W/channel
  3. 4K upscaling (don't really need it)
  4. Multi room Playback from Digital Audio Inputs
  5. More audio-video inputs as well as more audio-only inputs
  6. Extra connections on the receiver to connect zone2 or Front presence (9 speaker connections instead of 7). So I can wire up 7.1 + Zone2, and use interchangeably.
  7. Bluetooth in as well as Bluetooth out – This receiver can be connected to Bluetooth headphones which is a nice feature.

Denon X1500H better than Yamaha 685:
  1. One more hdmi input (6 inputs vs 5 inputs) : dont really need so many though
  2. Google assistant support (Alexa support is there in both although how good it works I don't know) This may come handy in future.
My usage pattern would be 90% movies/TV and 10% music I've heard that Denon is tuned for movies vs music @ 70:30 whereas Yamaha is tuned 50:50.

I'm close to picking up Yamaha but don't want to rush and reject Denon without giving it due consideration, especially since all the good reviews I've heard.

Can fellow members guide a newbie like me into picking up the right system? Is Yamaha better in terms of service & repair in India (esp. Pune) compared to Denon?

Cheers and thanks in advance guys!

PS: This setup is for a 10' X 12' bedroom. For speakers, I'm thinking Taga Harmony TAV-506 v2 and getting 2 more satellite units from Taga for the atmos ceiling mounted units.
I know there's another direction of suggestion to build the system overtime and invest into really good speakers slowly as budget permits. However I think these should be good for the bedroom amd the ~2-3 hrs of movie/TV usage everyday so I may not upgrade these speakers ever. If there's an upgrade itch later, I may go for a more high end system a few years down the line for the living room, but as of now that seems unlikely to happen.

Hi

If you have made up your mind on either of these brands....I would suggest the Yamaha......

There are dedicated owner threads for most brands....like Denon Yamaha Marantz etc where you can get first hand information and experience of users....

Remember the experiences will differ as everyone has different tastes and hearing preferences.....so you need to accept opinions with a pinch of salt and trust your own ears......

If you are confident that sooner or later the upgrade bug will bite you....rather than spending so much...why not go the pre owned route and pick up something available in the For Sale by Owner section? There are many AVRs and speakers on sale of good quality and performance on sale over OLX....most of these would be individual owners who like to upgrade etc.....

As for me, I still am not convinced about Atmos and what difference it is when compared to a 7.1 system.....I still feel content is being added everyday and it is still settling in....this is purely my opinion and most content available is either 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus (7.1).

Since you are based in Pune, you should make a trip to Mumbai and visit the many dealers we have here.....also check the preowned ads over OLX ...most are Mumbai based....

All the best!

Neither. Get better speakers. Replace with a powered subwoofers. The speaker package you have currently are average performer's. Speaker upgrade will give you a much better experience than an amplifier upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestions, efernand! True, atmos content is quite limited but there should be more in the near future. For e.g. there are a lot of Netflix owned movies & shows being produced, all are in 4K HDR/DolbyVision and should have atmos as well (I can't confirm for atmos though since I won't know it without connecting a capable system). Although I feel Netflix produced movies are below par (story wise) mostly except very few good ones.

Thanks Tuff, I am actually starting from scratch so don't have any previous amp to upgrade upon. I selected an entry level 7.1 Atmos capable AVR to cover most bases. I am not an audiophile and my usage is also not very high, so it is hard to justify AV gear more than 100K. Esp since I've been on TV in-built speakers so far!

There is this 5.1 speaker set by Polk Audio: Fusion T series 5.1 package: https://avstore.in/products/polk-fusion-t-series are these good value?
The satellites have 8ohm impedance whereas center+tower have 6ohm. I wonder why the mismatch.. Hopefully the AVR should be able to handle this mismatch easily.
I took a quick look on Olx Mumbai but don't see too many good options, mostly overpriced stuff or less powerful stuff. I have a hunch that I won't be satisfied without seeing a pair of floorstanders in my room :) I will keep looking at olx for a couple of weeks, I know good deals don't last very long :confused:

Last edited:
Both have their pros and cons, features looks almost same. Yamaha sounds flat and neutral and denon is warm. Certainly speakers makes great difference. Select speakers first. There’s no difference between 6 and 8 ohms. You need to make little adjustment in AVR for it. I suggest Yamaha and buy speakers carefully one by one matching front left right channels. Hope it clear your doubts

Thanks Tuff, I am actually starting from scratch so don't have any previous amp to upgrade upon. I selected an entry level 7.1 Atmos capable AVR to cover most bases. I am not an audiophile and my usage is also not very high, so it is hard to justify AV gear more than 100K. Esp since I've been on TV in-built speakers so far!

So i assume you are in a mindset to not spend more then 100k for HT. IMO you should first upgrade your speakers and subwoofer. Upgrading an AVR is not going to improve the audio performance. Try getting a good centre channel and a powered subwoofer. This will improve your movie experience by a lot.

I apologize. I misread that you already had that YHT package. Bigger speakers need room around them to sound the best. 10X12 room will be overwhelming with floor standers and 7 speakers. Surround speakers should go behind the listening position. More speakers will not necessarily be a good thing in my opinion. Google speaker placement for home theatre. Should give you a fair idea of what needs to be done. Whatever you decide, take your time.

Lol i also assumed he had a package. I think the yamaha 685 is a better option then the 1500 as it is more powerful. First set up the best 5.1 with your current budget. Later on you can add two ceiling speakers for atmos. You need to get a good subwoofer for the best movie experience

I think I'm now ok until 90-100K but don't want to go beyond that.

PS: This setup is for a 10' X 12' bedroom.

I'm now mostly hung up on either Yamaha RX-V685 or Denon X1500H (both around 55-57K INR).

Your choice of 7.2 AVR is good.. Either of them would do, settle for the best deal..

Alternatively you may consider Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 AVR capable of either 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4 Atmos layout.. Though the AVR is abt 70K, it can be negotiated for less.. For slightly more than Denon (or) Yamaha 7.2 AVR, you can get a much capable 9.2 AVR..

For speakers, I'm thinking Taga Harmony TAV-506 v2 and getting 2 more satellite units from Taga for the atmos ceiling mounted units.

Yes.. Taga TAV series would do just fine.. If you are planning to complete 5.1.2 set-up, then choose TAV 406/506 + any active sub in the remaining budget..

If you wish to consider a 5.1.4 set-up (4 overheads), then choose 2 sets of Taga TAV 406/506.. You would have 10 speakers.. You can use one pair of floor-standers for fronts and one more pair as surrounds.. You may use the smaller BS for front & rear heights.. This will make your set-up 5.0.4 (without a subwoofer), but you can always add later, making it 5.1.4..

From just 2.0 full-range TV speakers to discrete 5.0.4 set-up within your budget, would be great experience..

Choose a set-up based on your comfort & flexibility..

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions.

How would Polk Audio Fusion T series pair with Yamaha RX-V685? The Polk 5.1 speaker set is about 58K INR: https://avstore.in/products/polk-fusion-t-series

Will the Polk 5.1 speaker set be better than the following 2 options:
  1. Taga TAV-506 v2 + Yamaha NS-SW050 100W sub: Total 33K INR
  2. Yamaha NS-8390 (2 floorstanders) + Yamaha NS-P51 (1 Center, 2 surround) + Yamaha NS-SW050 sub: Total 40K INR
Yamaha sounds flat and neutral and denon is warm. Certainly speakers makes great difference. Select speakers first. There’s no difference between 6 and 8 ohms. You need to make little adjustment in AVR for it.
Thanks Hari, can I tweak Yamaha to sound warm similar to Denon? I hear warm sounding gear is better for movies which would be my main usage. Also Yamaha usually has good reviews that all YPAO parameters can be further tweaked after YPAO is done.
Also, the AVR allows selection of 6/8 ohms but doesn't that apply to all speakers, or can we choose that setting separately for each speaker? I wonder why Polk created the T series line with all 6ohm for floorstanders and center, but the surrounds are 8ohms. Would that be okay?

First set up the best 5.1 with your current budget. Later on you can add two ceiling speakers for atmos. You need to get a good subwoofer for the best movie experience
Thanks Love4sound, this is my plan indeed. I will get the ceiling speakers at a later date. Atmos doesn't work with FireStick4K as of now so I may wait until that support arrives.

Surround speakers should go behind the listening position. More speakers will not necessarily be a good thing in my opinion. Google speaker placement for home theatre. Should give you a fair idea of what needs to be done.
Thanks tuff, I checked out the speaker placement suggestions on crutchfield, they look similar to Dolby recommendations. Looks like I can only setup 5.1.2 in the room since I do not have too much space behind the sitting position.

Alternatively you may consider Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 AVR capable of either 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4 Atmos layout.. Though the AVR is abt 70K, it can be negotiated for less.. For slightly more than Denon (or) Yamaha 7.2 AVR, you can get a much capable 9.2 AVR..
Thank you elangoas, this receiver looks tempting. It would give me some feature proofing if I move the gear to a bigger room, I will have the option of upgrading 7.1.2 or 5.1.4. I'll keep an eye on this receiver for sometime to see if any good deals come out.
I've been set on Taga TAV-506 until now but since that isn't available online, I'm now considering moving to Yamaha set or Polk Fusion T series.

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions.

How would Polk Audio Fusion T series pair with Yamaha RX-V685? The Polk 5.1 speaker set is about 58K INR: https://avstore.in/products/polk-fusion-t-series

2. Yamaha NS-8390 (2 floorstanders) + Yamaha NS-P51 (1 Center, 2 surround) + Yamaha NS-SW050 sub: Total 40K INR

Thanks Hari, can I tweak Yamaha to sound warm similar to Denon? I hear warm sounding gear is better for movies which would be my main usage. Also Yamaha usually has good reviews that all YPAO parameters can be further tweaked after YPAO is done.
Also, the AVR allows selection of 6/8 ohms but doesn't that apply to all speakers, or can we choose that setting separately for each speaker? I wonder why Polk created the T series line with all 6ohm for floorstanders and center, but the surrounds are 8ohms. Would that be okay?

Thanks Love4sound, this is my plan indeed. I will get the ceiling speakers at a later date. Atmos doesn't work with FireStick4K as of now so I may wait until that support arrives.

Thanks tuff, I checked out the speaker placement suggestions on crutchfield, they look similar to Dolby recommendations. Looks like I can only setup 5.1.2 in the room since I do not have too much space behind the sitting position.

Thank you elangoas, this receiver looks tempting. It would give me some feature proofing if I move the gear to a bigger room, I will have the option of upgrading 7.1.2 or 5.1.4. I'll keep an eye on this receiver for sometime to see if any good deals come out.
I've been set on Taga TAV-506 until now but since that isn't available online, I'm now considering moving to Yamaha set or Polk Fusion T series.
For ur budget Taga 506 is the best option. But please don’t go for the sub sw50. It will just ruin ur movie experience. If you don’t have the budget for sub now just settle for a good avr nd tower speakers. There are decent subs in 25-30k which u can save slowly nd get later rather then settling for a poor subwoofer and regretting the purchase.

please don’t go for the sub sw50. It will just ruin ur movie experience.
Thanks Love4sound, I didn't know SW50 is so bad. I'll take it off the options list. :confused:

Is the Polk Sub PSW10 a good one? The other options I see are Yamaha SW200 and Taga TSW200 if Polk PSW10 is a no-go?

Thanks Love4sound, I didn't know SW50 is so bad. I'll take it off the options list. :confused:

Is the Polk Sub PSW10 a good one? The other options I see are Yamaha SW200 and Taga TSW200 if Polk PSW10 is a no-go?

I had the psw125 nd got rid of it in 7 months. Just after a month of purchase I wanted to get rid of it and it’s better then psw10. I know there are budget constraints for getting a good subwoofer. But if u can save some money nd invest 26-27k you can get Taga sub and also the Yamaha sw-300 which is sold at 26-27k with discounts. Don’t rush for these small nd low priced subs. They produce distorted and muddy bass. I used yht299 for nearly 3 years and i think the sub that was included in the package was sw 50 or some similar spec. It did a decent job for my ears when I had no knowledge abt sub. Now wen I think abt it I can’t belive I was listening to it for two or 3 years

The Polk 5.1 speaker set is about 58K INR: https://avstore.in/products/polk-fusion-t-series

The Taga 506 & Polk Fusion T series have almost similar specs.. IMO, for the price of Polk Fusion T series (58K), there is a possibility you can do Taga 506 + Dual Taga TSW 120 subs..

this receiver looks tempting. It would give me some feature proofing if I move the gear to a bigger room, I will have the option of upgrading 7.1.2 or 5.1.4. I'll keep an eye on this receiver for sometime to see if any good deals come out.

You may be able to get it online for a good price.. It is very rare to find a good deal for AVR with offline dealer.. If you feel that 9.2 AVR will be futuristic, chase the dealer online / offline and see what best they can offer you..

There is Taga 406 on amazon.in for 20K, in case you want to check them..

I checked out the speaker placement suggestions on crutchfield, they look similar to Dolby recommendations. Looks like I can only setup 5.1.2 in the room since I do not have too much space behind the sitting position.

Not everyone has ideal locations in the room to place speakers.. You may not be able to place surr back in your room.. But you can do 4 heights in the room, IMO.. You can place the rear heights parallel to your ears (side walls, above surrounds) and front heights perpendicular to your ears (front wall, above front speaker).. There are some inexpensive speaker mounts aval on amazon.in..

Evaluate options & settle, depending on limitations in the room..

Thanks guys, it sounds like, large subwoofer is more important for movies rather than going for Polk instead of Taga for speakers? So out of my speaker budget, I should spend ~40-50% on the subwoofer and remaining on 5.0 or better yet 3.0 speaker setup for now and get 2 more later?

Also, could you guys suggest what priority order among below subs I should try getting?
Thanks!
  1. Taga Harmony TSW-200
  2. Yamaha NS-SW300 / YST-SW315PN
  3. BIC America F12
  4. Elac S10
  5. Polk Audio PSW111
  6. Wharfedale D10

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it sounds like, large subwoofer is more important for movies rather than going for Polk instead of Taga for speakers? So out of my speaker budget, I should spend ~40-50% on the subwoofer and remaining on 5.0 or better yet 3.0 speaker setup for now and get 2 more later?
First you need to arrive at a budget. May be now u have a certain amount in mind but u need to be sure if that’s the final amount or you can save and spend later as well. What is your room dimension and the maximum amount you can spend now and later. Based on that we can suggest.

the AVR allows selection of 6/8 ohms but doesn't that apply to all speakers, or can we choose that setting separately for each speaker? I wonder why Polk created the T series line with all 6ohm for floorstanders and center, but the surrounds are 8ohms. Would that be okay?
No issue, All that you have to set AVR to 6 ohms though you have few 8 ohms speakers, there is no difference in sound signature.
Hence Yamaha sounds natural and neutral, you select any warm speakers that sounds better (warmer).

What is your room dimension and the maximum amount you can spend now and later.

Room is 12x12 (sorry I mentioned 12x10 earlier, I measured it later and found 12x12).

Leaving receiver aside, I am ok to spend 60K max. now for a 5.1 set, or 50K max for 3.1 now and get 2 speakers later from US (hoping to get good deals from US so 10K +/- 2K should suffice for 2 bookshelves?)

Room is 12x12 (sorry I mentioned 12x10 earlier, I measured it later and found 12x12).

Leaving receiver aside, I am ok to spend 60K max. now for a 5.1 set, or 50K max for 3.1 now and get 2 speakers later from US (hoping to get good deals from US so 10K +/- 2K should suffice for 2 bookshelves?)
Cool. So ur room is not a big one and bookshelf is more then enough. Subwoofer u have Taga, Yamaha sw300 nd bic f-12. Al these subs are available for 27-30k. Then ur left with only 20k. If you have the space to accommodate towers for the 20k you can get Taga towers and complete a 2.1. Later you can add centre and surrounds. Or if you push another 7 or 8 k you can get Taga complete 5.0 speaker package. For ur budget I think this will be the best option. A 5.1 within 60k

Thanks, Love4sound. I have space for front floorstanders.
It is hard to get a demo of Taga, I will try to look in ownership reviews and compare with Polk. I am tilting towards Polk floorstanders + Polk center instead of Taga 5.0 in the same budget for now and look at olx for 2 more speakers

select any warm speakers that sounds better (warmer)
Thanks Hari, would you happen to know offhand if Polk Fusion T series or Taga 506 are warm sounding?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back