Need help - Speakers for yamaha rxv479

The Shop
Plot no.195,D.N nagar Bldg No.35, New-Andheri Oshiwara Link Road., Andheri (west),Mumbai 400053
Tel:91 22 26204710/26204706/26237800
Mobile:9820654522 Mr.Jignesh Patel
[email protected]

Check with this dealer for Energy Speakers.
I got my setup for 51k which includes 2 pairs of polk tsx110B , tsx150C and psw110 subwoofer. Polk sounds extremely good for movies, however since you did not like Polk you can rule that option out. But do check out the new polk t50 package from profx, I heard it and its not really very bad considering the price. One dealer more is Fairdeal Electronics near crawford market, check with him for some good package, also his pricing is quite competitive.

I had been to The Shop but at that time for 5.1 system he was mainly pushing Onkyo and that too HTIBs. I don't think he had Energy. Will check again though.

I have also checked Fairdeal but they mainly had Harmon Kardon which don't interest me at all.

As you know I didn't much care for Polk and I wouldn't like to go for something which is not bad.....rather buy something that's good :)) Polk did not have the sound clarity for dialogues, which for me is of utmost importance...even more than the bass and surround sound effects.
So, my hunt is still on, for a good but not too expensive system.

As you know I didn't much care for Polk and I wouldn't like to go for something which is not bad.....rather buy something that's good :)) Polk did not have the sound clarity for dialogues, which for me is of utmost importance...even more than the bass and surround sound effects.

The TSX should be better than the 6750. Do check it out.

Don't rule out any particular brand, make your decisions based on the models, some may sound good while others not, fair deal electronics has definitely got much more than HK. They have good brands available with them, Did you audition the Polk Bookshelf Speakers/ Floorstanders? If not I recommend you do so. In my opinion, What you require is a good bookshlef speaker package and not satellite based, having used satellite as well as bookshelf systems now I know what is the difference exactly, and such a system will definitely require a higher budget but then if you invest slowly and upgrade step by step you will enjoy the system even more, as for clarity in dialogues a proper centre channel will do the trick. The energy speakers are definitely a bit costly but then if you like it you can go for it. It's just that a similarly priced setup or marginally expensive can get you proper bookshelf speakers which will sound good even while you listen to music.

Hi Papa7,

Have you been to Sound Out at Heera Panna? If you have already gone to most of the major dealers in Mumbai then based on your budget, you will need to shortlist what appeals to you. There can be good deals on pre owned ...new ones may be slightly out of budget.....or either you build it slowly

The link which I shared on AVR+BIC America speakers is an individual seller and I did visit him in early Jan 2016 just to understand the setup he had....The speakers are barely 6 months old but still carries the warranty.....The music and movies experience was good...I auditioned a lot of content...he has the 5.0... DV32s and customized by adding a bigger subwoofer...the H100ii which is the cherry on the cake....indeed goes as low as 24hz.........

At the end of the day it all depends on what appeals to you in performance, budget and appearance....all the best....

Don't rule out any particular brand, make your decisions based on the models, some may sound good while others not, fair deal electronics has definitely got much more than HK. They have good brands available with them, Did you audition the Polk Bookshelf Speakers/ Floorstanders? If not I recommend you do so. In my opinion, What you require is a good bookshlef speaker package and not satellite based, having used satellite as well as bookshelf systems now I know what is the difference exactly, and such a system will definitely require a higher budget but then if you invest slowly and upgrade step by step you will enjoy the system even more, as for clarity in dialogues a proper centre channel will do the trick. The energy speakers are definitely a bit costly but then if you like it you can go for it. It's just that a similarly priced setup or marginally expensive can get you proper bookshelf speakers which will sound good even while you listen to music.

Based on your advice I will try to check out Polk bookshelves. Frankly, I haven't demoed bookshelves at all since they seem to be more expy. But if you got yours at 51k the they seem to be worth a look since energy sats are at 50k. Btw when did you buy yours and from where. And are they the whole set....5.1 I mean. They are adding up to a lot more on some sites.
I started with a budget of 35k and coz i am not able to find anything suitable to my needs it has gone up to 50k which i still not too keen on spending. The cost just keeps spiralling up so there is a point where its got to stop. That's why so much research!
And this is a one time buy. I don't plan to keep adding.
Actually, by this time I'm quite tired of the whole process so probably if I still don't like the Polks or they turn out too expy, I might just decide between Energy and Elac. Both sounded similar and were priced same. Energy just had a wee bit of edge performance wise. I was just trying to see if I could find someone to give either of those at a lesser price.

Btw any idea how reliable Warehouse Direct at Bhandup is?

Many people have bought systems in stages due to budget constraints. You could also look at doing that.

Both the preowned speaker sets are in your city. No harm in checking them out.
Make an offer if you like either and see if it works out.

Last edited:
As suggested by many experts, start with a good bookshelf pair now. Add the rest of the system when budget permits. This will be good for long run and would serve the purpose of Music and movies well.

Based on your advice I will try to check out Polk bookshelves. Frankly, I haven't demoed bookshelves at all since they seem to be more expy. But if you got yours at 51k the they seem to be worth a look since energy sats are at 50k. Btw when did you buy yours and from where. And are they the whole set....5.1 I mean. They are adding up to a lot more on some sites.
I started with a budget of 35k and coz i am not able to find anything suitable to my needs it has gone up to 50k which i still not too keen on spending. The cost just keeps spiralling up so there is a point where its got to stop. That's why so much research!
And this is a one time buy. I don't plan to keep adding.
Actually, by this time I'm quite tired of the whole process so probably if I still don't like the Polks or they turn out too expy, I might just decide between Energy and Elac. Both sounded similar and were priced same. Energy just had a wee bit of edge performance wise. I was just trying to see if I could find someone to give either of those at a lesser price.

Btw any idea how reliable Warehouse Direct at Bhandup is?

I brought my package of full Polk 5.1 speaker package consisting of tsx110B for fronts, 150C for center, Tsx110B for surrounds and PSW110 for 51k after discounts from ProFX Kurla. They may not have TSX110B on display and had auditioned it at ProFX Worli.
For the kind of budget you currently have, polk would suit well. However audition it and then decide on it.
I had been to warehouse direct and Mr.Sanjay there is quite a good person and will guide you well, he sells off ebay as well. He too deals in multiple brands and you can contact him for a better price with regards to the energy Take classic.
My suggestion is to auditon a couple of bookshelf speakers in the price bracket of 12-16k and then compare it with the energy take classic, if you still find the take classic is better, you know what has to be done. If you are not interested in all this stuff and want the speakers without much of efforts take which pleases you the most, but remember somewhere down 1-2 years you may want to upgrade and then you will have to again maybe invest in good quality speakers. Taking into account all such factors many here advice people to start off in stages. That way you enjoy and dont feel need to upgrade often and when you feel you just add the speaker you need.
Which model in ELAC are you looking at?

I brought my package of full Polk 5.1 speaker package consisting of tsx110B for fronts, 150C for center, Tsx110B for surrounds and PSW110 for 51k after discounts from ProFX Kurla. They may not have TSX110B on display and had auditioned it at ProFX Worli.
For the kind of budget you currently have, polk would suit well. However audition it and then decide on it.
I had been to warehouse direct and Mr.Sanjay there is quite a good person and will guide you well, he sells off ebay as well. He too deals in multiple brands and you can contact him for a better price with regards to the energy Take classic.
My suggestion is to auditon a couple of bookshelf speakers in the price bracket of 12-16k and then compare it with the energy take classic, if you still find the take classic is better, you know what has to be done. If you are not interested in all this stuff and want the speakers without much of efforts take which pleases you the most, but remember somewhere down 1-2 years you may want to upgrade and then you will have to again maybe invest in good quality speakers. Taking into account all such factors many here advice people to start off in stages. That way you enjoy and dont feel need to upgrade often and when you feel you just add the speaker you need.
Which model in ELAC are you looking at?

I spoke to both Profx and Mr.Sanjay today. As you said demo is only available at worli. But Mr Sanjay also has the Polks so I can demo that as well as any other BS that he has. He doesn't have Energy as they have stopped sales to India.
The Elacs that I had demoed were the starlets but another model Cinema series has come with the dealer in the same range. I might check it out tomorrow along with Tannoy TFX.

In case I end up liking Polk then I guess I can try and get the best price for it. Even Viola at Andheri is a dealer and I think he gives a good deal.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Will let you know how things work out.

Sorry for the late feedback. I went to Kripa to demo Elac Cinema 10 and Tannoy TFx. Initially didn't like it much as there was some kind of vibration. Then one Mr. Kaushik came in and restarted the demo with some changes and the effect was much better but both sounded pretty much the same. The best part is that Mr. Kaushik offered to arrange for the demo at my place. I couldn't believe it as this was something I was always apprehensive about since the actual performance in the home setup would be much different than a demo room.
They came over the next day and both the sats did quite well in that big room. However the Elac cinema 10 has a choice of two centre speakers and the bigger one was very good. I had almost made up my mind but the was to revert with the final quote the next day. Unfortunately his quote was much higher than expected at 60k :-((
So decided to try the Polks as suggested by Rayvonnee and went to Warehouse Direct. That was one bad experience. Mr. Sanjay, though knowledgeable and informative was too full of himself and the entire time talked only about how technically sound he was compared to others. He kept putting down all the other dealer/sellers.I ran late because of his talking and couldn't get a proper demo. I had imagined I would compare the bookshelves with sats at his place but he did not have any sats and also ran out of time to try any other BS. He also did not have the smaller 110 sub. As a result I didn't find the Polks impressive. The only good thing was he gave a good 20% discount on mrp so the package would work out to maybe 49k. Otherwise a wasted trip I think.
I did try out the Polks at Profx worli and they seemed much better but his price was 52K.

Now I am back to square one as I now like all three....Energy, Elac and Polk. Only difference is Elac is costlier and Polk seems more value for money at the same price since they are BSs.
Any suggestions pls.

PS. Profx is giving three year warranty for Polk whereas all other speakers I demoed had a one year warranty!. In USA the same products carry a five year warranty!! Wonder why.

Hi

The warranty differs from region to region. Most in India offer 1 year warranty, some dealers add one more year to make the deal attractive for some brands...

Pro Fx offers 3 years ...so does Definitive Technology....and BIC America offers 7 years.....

I was told and also I recall reading that Warehouse Direct charge for demos or auditions...not sure how true this is...anyways there are ample dealers who offer competitive deals in Mumbai which you need to check and decide....

If budget is a constraint....look out for pre owned, you may get good stuff within you budget.

All the best

Sorry that i suggested you to go to warehouse direct and the sour experience with Mr. Sanjay, but as i told you he offers good prices. Anyway forgetting the experience with warehouse direct, how would you compare the audition at other places? Now its upto you, forgetting about the cost of the setups how would you compare the three? Polk is the only bookshelf speaker which you have auditioned. On a budget similar like you and all these confusions running through my head, i took the call and not regretting the decision till date, however the upgrade bug will surely bite me once i hear still expensive setups and most of the time you will miss certain things on your setup but you cannot get best of everything. Nonetheless its your choice now, sat+sub or bookshelf+sub. To be honest the polk psw110 sub is not the best when compared with others higher up the range but within that budget its best you can possibly get.

Did you audition with music also? Bookshelves will surely be better than satellites for music.

A difference of around 10k might seem large now but any regrets later on will not be worth saving that. Think carefully. Audition again if not sure.

Sorry that i suggested you to go to warehouse direct and the sour experience with Mr. Sanjay, but as i told you he offers good prices. Anyway forgetting the experience with warehouse direct, how would you compare the audition at other places? Now its upto you, forgetting about the cost of the setups how would you compare the three? Polk is the only bookshelf speaker which you have auditioned. On a budget similar like you and all these confusions running through my head, i took the call and not regretting the decision till date, however the upgrade bug will surely bite me once i hear still expensive setups and most of the time you will miss certain things on your setup but you cannot get best of everything. Nonetheless its your choice now, sat+sub or bookshelf+sub. To be honest the polk psw110 sub is not the best when compared with others higher up the range but within that budget its best you can possibly get.

You are not at fault for suggesting Warehouse Direct. I asked you, remember. And I would have gone anyways. But all these experiences help in the long run I think. BTW I went there with the idea of auditioning two/three different bookshelves so I could get idea of the difference between all, just as I did for the sats. However, as explained earlier, that didn't happen. Maybe I'll just settle for Polk as its value for money, I think.
As a matter of fact I'd been told that Polk doesn't have the best of subs and 110 doesn't fit in my designated area so I'll be going in for another one. Profx had suggested The KEF one at about 6k more. He told me I could go for any sub I prefer. Also for the rear speakers I'll be going for OWM 3 as they are not as bulky as the 110b.

Did you audition with music also? Bookshelves will surely be better than satellites for music.

A difference of around 10k might seem large now but any regrets later on will not be worth saving that. Think carefully. Audition again if not sure.

Nope, didn't specifically audition for music as movies and tv are my main needs. That's probably the reason I was happy with the performance of sats, especially when I got to audition them at home and saw how well they did. The difference of 10k is in favour of the bookshelves as its the sats which are costlier!

Rayvonnee, I've read somewhere in the reviews that for best results the 110b needs to be kept 1-2 feet away from the wall else there might be a booming sound. Is that true and is that how you have kept them?
I will have to hang them on the wall only as there's no space otherwise, so if the above is true, I will have to go for sats :-(

Pls confirm.

I don't find much boom with the speakers mounted and i rarely listen to them on large setting, so they generally don't go below 80 Hz, that's what i have set it to. How will you be mounting them? Speaker wont point to the proper position i.e listening position. I had to get wooden blocks made for that purpose and now i'm happy with the sound. Will try and post some pics tomorrow of the wooden blocks which were made by my carpenter. Your room size is quite large and would suggest going in for a 10inch subwoofer as it will give good bass output throughout your L shaped room. The main reason for selecting psw110 subwoofer was the 10inch driver which i keep at 70-75% volume. So i feel atleast for my room an 8inch driver would be insufficient. Hence the decision for a 10inch sub made complete sense. If you can invest a little more for the subwoofer you can definately get a very good setup which would sound far better for movies since that's what you prefer more. Also having heard SUB 260 From JAMO i feel that will suffice for your room. It costs somewhere around 25k with discounts.

Last edited:
Do try to audition the Elac B6. I picked up a pair a week ago for 28k and they are getting better as each day passes. I upgraded from Polk TSi 200 and these leagues ahead of them in Bass, Stage, Details dept. The Highs are not as in your face compared to the Polks. Polks are known to be bright speakers. These are slightly warmer.

MaSh

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back