Need help to choose my HT

selvakumar

I wanted to purchase one HT budget around 25K.

As of now I do not have any HD TV. I am having Sony Flat TV only.

My use is 80% for music and 20% for DVD films.

I am inquiring Onkyo, Philips and Sony. I am more comfortable with DAV-DZ370 model in Sony. But in the forum all most all are totally against Sony brand.

I think for my requirement, that Sony model is ok. Please guide me to choose my correct HT.

Firstly, you have to live with it so if you like something and are convinced about it then go ahead.

But and a BIG BUT... Sony SQ is pretty bad especially the entry level range. You should do a side by side comparison/audition to really test the Sony out.

For your budget the Onkyo 3100/3105 and Philips 4750. For 35K or so you should get the Onkyo 5105 which is much better. If you can go to 40K then get the Onkyo 5100.

Of course let me caution you based on your input of 80% music none of them will perform great for music. If you have a PC and listen to music via the PC then get Audioengine A5 speakers for 20K. They will serve you much better.

Above all else audition and listen for yourself till you are satisfied and only then go ahead and make the purchase.

Many thanks friend

Now I am checking Audioengine A5 speakers.

Just now I am hearing this. some more idea on this Audioengine A5 speakers will help me.

Thanks a lot again

Selva do note that the Audioengine is only 2.0 speakers and not 5.1. Still I would recommend them based on your requirement for music at 80%.

Also, to ensure you use the audio engine, you should have a good sound card.

I would also suggest you audition Onkyo and Philips before you decide on the system. Each person's taste is different so my suggestion is before investing 20k on 2.0 system do the EAR test .

Thanks Friend,

For Philips, Optical In is not there. My sound card is having optical out. So I am going to check with Onkyo and audio engine.

Thanks for your help

Hi Selva,

You have said that 80% for music.In that case Onkyo is certainly out.spending 20k (audio engine) for pc speakers is a sheer waste in my opinion. But that is me. It is your take finally.

Ram says philips 4750 is good for both music and HT. It is within your budget.

Alternately u can go for an entry level Marantz AVR which are reputed to be good for both music and HT. Along with it you can buy two good books shelves, may be from Audio Craft's Marc at pudupet, chennai. He will custom make it according to your requirements ,and people here vouch it is VFM..Then when your budget allows you can slowly build your HT step by step going for a sub woofer and rear speakers.I have given my two cents mainly because of your major preference for music.

And please avoid sony :eek:hyeah:

Cheers,
Sri

Last edited:
Srikarkav - I dont know what PC speakers you have used but I can tell you that computer speakers have come a long way in the last few years.

Our own Moserw has bought active speakers for PC worth over a Lakh rupees! Even something like an Altec Lansing MX5021 is a very good speaker for music at just around 5K rupees.

The Audioengines are supposed to be very good speakers and have garnered a lot of positive reviews - from users and experts alike. So I would not be completely dismissive of their merits.

For the OP - I would add that a HTiB (Home Theatre in a Box) solution is for the people who dont prefer to tinker with their system once setup. With a PC, tinkering is part and parcel of the experience:). So, pick and choose what you prefer. Good luck with it.

Hi vortex,

I gave this opinion since selva wans to enjoy DVD movies too.I think going the Marantz way and bookshelves for starters is the best route for him. I think to enjoy HT , pc is not the way to go. But as i said its only me. Selva has to decide for himself.

cheers,
sri

Actually my recommendations are mostly based on the OP's requirements and budget which in this case are music and 25K. No HTIB not even Philips 4750 is going to sound good in the music department. The Audioengines are an all in one solution. Going with separates will mean a budget of at least 80K to even have a decent sounding rig for stereo music starting with the source, amp, speakers, cables, etc.

I've heard the Audioengines myself and they are very good. I've even used them as front and center speakers in a 5.1 system and they held their own. They are that good. A lot of people have a mental block against powered speakers and want their amplification done by an external amplifier, but as someone corrected me once what does it matter where the amplifier is situated, whether external or internal? Of course this was regarding a discussion for a powered/active subwoofer vs. a passive subwoofer, but the same holds true for speakers too.

Hi Selva,

You have said that 80% for music.In that case Onkyo is certainly out.spending 20k (audio engine) for pc speakers is a sheer waste in my opinion. But that is me. It is your take finally.

Ram says philips 4750 is good for both music and HT. It is within your budget.

Alternately u can go for an entry level Marantz AVR which are reputed to be good for both music and HT. Along with it you can buy two good books shelves, may be from Audio Craft's Marc at pudupet, chennai. He will custom make it according to your requirements ,and people here vouch it is VFM..Then when your budget allows you can slowly build your HT step by step going for a sub woofer and rear speakers.I have given my two cents mainly because of your major preference for music.

And please avoid sony :eek:hyeah:

Cheers,
Sri

1. I have personally experienced audio engine speakers and they are GREAT! infact better than HTs when it comes to Music Performance. BUT, speaker is as good as the Sound Card, so its equally important to have a very good sound card.

2. My fav 4750 seems to be out of market so I am going to stop talking Philips till I see a model which is as good as 4750 :)

3. Marantz is good, but with Music as the requirement, I would suggest Yamaha AVRs. You can find any enough reviews and recommendations in our forum.

Like Sri said, I would think a lot before investing on Audio Engine. Since you have the budget, you can start with Yamaha AVR with two bookshelves speakers and a sub (if u have the money) and then slowly build a 5.1 which will also satisfy your Movie requirement.

Thanks Friends,

Now I want to just postpone my purchase. I think I need to analyse more. Keep on testing with different HT.

Thanks Friends,

Now I want to just postpone my purchase. I think I need to analyse more. Keep on testing with different HT.

Well Selva, don't worry. We do this to everyone. Make them change their mind and also insanely increase their budget. Welcome to the club!!!

Thanks Moser

Ok suppose, I am increasing my budget, then which one is good for Digital Music?.

Firstly let us know your source. Is it Audio CDs played on a CD player/DVDP or played on a PC? What kind of music do you like/listen to? What kind of format are they i.e. FLAC/WAV/MP3? Also, an approximate budget would help. Based on the above we can recommend what will suit you the best.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back