Need help to complete the home theatre

Czar

Have reached so far yet, got the diamond 10.2 BS & Marantz 6009:

Finally got the delivery , could you give a road map as to what next should I purchase in making it a 5.1 system so I can plan accordingly...

also which sub would be suitable if I am to go for the jade or diamond FS ?

thanks

please give your valued suggestions, thanks in advance.

A subwooofer need not be of the se brand compulsarily. Look @ velodyne or svs which are exceptionally good for decent home theates. Mention your budget for the subwoofer too. Have an audition if possible.

Have reached so far yet, got the diamond 10.2 BS & Marantz 6009: please give your valued suggestions, thanks in advance.

I am not sure what equipment you already have, but here is quick list.

1. A source (Blu-day, DVD or HTPC)
2. Front speakers
3. Center speakers
4. Surround speakers
5. Cables
6. Display (TV, projector etc,)
7. Some room acoustics.

Cheers

Depending on your budget:
Since you have the Whaferdales for fronts I presume you would prefer the center and surrounds to be Ws too.

for Sub Woofer (12") i: Polk Audio DSW PRO660Wi down firing (IRS 40000/- list price) is a good choice

You can add speakers in this order... Center, surround & subwoofer....

You can easily live without a sub but not without center & surround for movies.....

thanks guys for your suggestions...

You can easily live without a sub but not without center & surround for movies.....

I am not sure what equipment you already have, but here is quick list.

Cheers

As I said I have got the 10.2 BS & plan to get either of the wharf FS & make the 10.2 as the rears, is that ok ? In other equipment I already have a marantz 6009, Sony LED 46, Benq 1080 ST, WDTV Media 1 GB...

why dont you go for a package instead of separates?

Sorry I dint get the question ? Do you mean the whole Wharf Package ? Well Budget dint permit to buy the entire setup in one shot (I was initially looking to buy Wharf 10.7 Home theatre with 6009).

A subwooofer need not be of the se brand compulsarily. Look @ velodyne or svs which are exceptionally good for decent home theates. Mention your budget for the subwoofer too. Have an audition if possible.

Thanks was just looking into both... any model no. recommended ? Do we get these online (India) so I could check the pricing ?

Depending on your budget:
Since you have the Whaferdales for fronts I presume you would prefer the center and surrounds to be Ws too.

for Sub Woofer (12") i: Polk Audio DSW PRO660Wi down firing (IRS 40000/- list price) is a good choice

Ok thanks will check the polk...

The BS will become rear when I can get the FS... Anyone has heard the Wharfedale Jade's (5) ? Is it worth over the Wharf 10.7's ?

So which should I look to buy first: Sub or FS's ?

Thanks a lot guys... :)

well, you can live without a Sub provided you have a hefty pair of 3 way or 4 way Floor Standing fronts

well, you can live without a Sub provided you have a hefty pair of 3 way or 4 way Floor Standing fronts

Right.... I don't have a sub and my FS are doing the duty..... BS also can handle without a sub.... I have used my Wharf Dia 9.2 as fronts without a sub for movies & they could a decent job......

Right.... I don't have a sub and my FS are doing the duty..... BS also can handle without a sub.... I have used my Wharf Dia 9.2 as fronts without a sub for movies & they could a decent job......

Although I haven't heard the Wharfedale 9.2 yet, the specs says it can handle 45Hz and up, so I guess you are right and I am assuming you have a reasonably high power amp because the sensitivity of the speakers is only 86dB. But for sounds that fall within the 20Hz to 40Hz range you would need a powered sub for sure because most of the subs have a lot of reserve power to generate that range of frequencies . I agree not everyone may need it to get to that subsonic level where the sound is felt than heard, but the subject was about a reasonable Home theater setup. hence the suggestion. cheers

Although I haven't heard the Wharfedale 9.2 yet, the specs says it can handle 45Hz and up, so I guess you are right and I am assuming you have a reasonably high power amp because the sensitivity of the speakers is only 86dB.

You are right... I had a power amplifier with diamond 9.2's... Actually i ran them full range....

But for sounds that fall within the 20Hz to 40Hz range you would need a powered sub for sure because most of the subs have a lot of reserve power to generate that range of frequencies . I agree not everyone may need it to get to that subsonic level where the sound is felt than heard, but the subject was about a reasonable Home theater setup. hence the suggestion. cheers

Yup... Perfectly said.... I was suggesting the OP to consider the order of speakers... Hence the comment....

But for sounds that fall within the 20Hz to 40Hz range you would need a powered sub for sure because most of the subs have a lot of reserve power to generate that range of frequencies . I agree not everyone may need it to get to that subsonic level where the sound is felt than heard

That range is not subsonic, that is perfectly audible :)

That range is not subsonic, that is perfectly audible :)

Well, they say 20Hz is just out of the average human audible range, which starts at around 30Hz going up to 20KHz. Anything less than 30Hz "can be felt but not heard", but then people have differing levels of hearing ability depending on age etc. so u r probably right and I stand corrected :)

so I should buy a sub first & then FS's ?

I guess it depends on what you already have. If you have a pair of Diamonds, which you can use as fronts, you could select a Sub Woofer to go with it as a 2.1 system. next add the center to make it a 3.1 system. and finally the surrounds to make it a 5.1 system. And if your AVR has more speaker posts than 5.1 keep adding Surround Backs and/or Front Highs and/ or Front Wides until you have a system with all or just adequate bells and whistles!! :)

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what you already have. If you have a pair of Diamonds, which you can use as fronts, you could select a Sub Woofer to go with it as a 2.1 system. next add the center to make it a 3.1 system. and finally the surrounds to make it a 5.1 system. And if your AVR has more speaker posts than 5.1 keep adding Surround Backs and/or Front Highs and/ or Front Wides until you have a system with all or just adequate bells and whistles!! :)

ok thanks a lot, will do as you suggested... :cheers:

Please recommend a sub for the Wharf 10.2 BS's...

kindly suggest so that later it will be part of 5.1 system & go well with wharf floors...

thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back