Need Help to Decide on LCD TV and Home Theatre

Is there a huge difference in performance and viewing experience between Samsung 40 B650 LCD(~ 65k) and Samsung 40 LED (~ 98K) models. cos there is a big difference in price close to 35K INR.
Am trying to get hold of a 40 B650 and the dealers are trying to force the LED models.

Initially wanted to get the 46 B650 but could not find them and they also cost 99K and so decided to settle for 40 B650 .

Are there any equivalent samsung models that one can get.
Any info on this will be of great help.
Also there is a surge in the sales thank to IPL and SUN HD free offer.So i needa act fast.

Hi vchounal, As I have said earlier, below are the characteristics of LGs.

1) All TVs in different price ranges have a similar picture. Very very minute differences if any if you climb up the price range.

2) Black levels are low compared to samsung and sony. This could cause washed out image (LH90 is an exception). Given that most people are happy with LG.

3) Colour reproduction is not accurate. Blue is over pronounced and red is underwhelming. Next time you are in the store doing side by side comparison, check out a screen with majority red and you can see for yourself. (vodafone ad?) All near red colours like red, orange (sunset), yellow in some cases lag in all LG. Checkout orange and red in comparison to samsung and sony and if you are satisfied, you can pretty much take the TV home.

4) Any motion reduction algorithm they deploy is bad (until 2009). If you opt for LG, going to higher cost models based on response time and 100Hz processing is meaningless. This can negatively impact the picture in some cases.

Once you are satisfied demoing the above, It is your choice. Have a side by side demo in some non dynamic mode and decide.

Also, 720p is not bad especially if you don't have a blueray player and are not planning for one in the near future. You will hardly notice the difference (Like you cant in PQ70). The motion handling, black levels and colour reproduction etc will be better in plasmas. Try out 50" B450 plasma (720p). It has the best colour reproduction capacity.

Another point to note. NONE of the LCDs are capable of 1080p motion picture resolution. They have 1080p pixels and can display 1080p still images perfectly. But moving picture resolution will be 400p without 100hz and ~700p with 100hz. The 720p plasmas do a 720p moving picture resolution without fuzz. The Panasonic G10 and above are the only plasma capable of doing a 1080p motion picture resolution.

I recommend you demo the B450 plasma once especially if you dont have a bluray player.

Hi BLASTO,

Many thanks. I am keen on full HD because I already have a PS3, both for gaming and BR disks. Otherwise I would have gone in for Samsung 50" B450 plasma. The other options are to go for a 46/47" full HD LCD or wait for Samsung to bring out another 50" full HD plasma or Panasonic to bring down their prices.

I was surprised to know that "NONE of the LCDs are capable of 1080p motion picture resolution". Is it true?

Is there a huge difference in performance and viewing experience between Samsung 40 B650 LCD(~ 65k) and Samsung 40 LED (~ 98K) models. cos there is a big difference in price close to 35K INR.
Am trying to get hold of a 40 B650 and the dealers are trying to force the LED models.

Nope. IMO B650 is better and matured than the LED.

Are there any equivalent samsung models that one can get.
Any info on this will be of great help.
Also there is a surge in the sales thank to IPL and SUN HD free offer.So i needa act fast.

Alternatively, you can wait for the 2010 models coming next month.

I was surprised to know that "NONE of the LCDs are capable of 1080p motion picture resolution". Is it true?

Refer "motion resolution" in table in Sony KDL40W5500 Bravia LCD Calibration & Benchmark Tests for sony W550 as example.
Motion resolution [Motionflow] "Standard" and "High": 650; "Off": 300

You can find the measurement for other LCD TVs also in the site.

Again, the baseline is LCDs have overall lesser motion resolution than plasmas. Not many worry about it. It will be very much evident in gaming in TVs >42".

For the discussion, refer my posts in http://www.hifivision.com/television/7915-fullhd-versus-hdready-2.html

If you have the time, wait for the 2010 models from samsung. They are scheduled next month.
A 50" FHD 5 series samsung plasma is the best bet for you.
Street price will be 65-70k. PS50B550 2009 plasma was sold for 70-75k last year initially and was discontinued in india probably due to high overseas demand.

Last edited:
Refer "motion resolution" in table in Sony KDL40W5500 Bravia LCD Calibration & Benchmark Tests for sony W550 as example.
Motion resolution [Motionflow] "Standard" and "High": 650; "Off": 300

You can find the measurement for other LCD TVs also in the site.

Again, the baseline is LCDs have overall lesser motion resolution than plasmas. Not many worry about it. It will be very much evident in gaming in TVs >42".

For the discussion, refer my posts in http://www.hifivision.com/television/7915-fullhd-versus-hdready-2.html

If you have the time, wait for the 2010 models from samsung. They are scheduled next month.
A 50" FHD 5 series samsung plasma is the best bet for you.
Street price will be 65-70k. PS50B550 2009 plasma was sold for 70-75k last year initially and was discontinued in india probably due to high overseas demand.

Thanks BLASTO.

I will wait for Samsung to come out with 2010 models in April and then decide.

wud also like to suggest one important but ingored point..is your viewing distance.. chk if u have enough space to go for a 50 or a 47 inch..coz money dosen't matter much..hardly diff for 5-10k.. how bout ur eyes ... ?

Nope. IMO B650 is better and matured than the LED.

Alternatively, you can wait for the 2010 models coming next month.

hmm thanks for the info.
but I guess the 2010 ones gonna be all LED and therefore on the expensive side.

wud also like to suggest one important but ingored point..is your viewing distance.. chk if u have enough space to go for a 50 or a 47 inch..coz money dosen't matter much..hardly diff for 5-10k.. how bout ur eyes ... ?

Initally, I intend placing the TV in a room where the viewing distance would be 8 feet but subsequently about 12-13 feet. CNET recommends minimum viewing distance of 6.3 feet and maximum viewing distance of 12.5 feet for a 50" TV. So I guess, I will be alright.

Initally, I intend placing the TV in a room where the viewing distance would be 8 feet but subsequently about 12-13 feet. CNET recommends minimum viewing distance of 6.3 feet and maximum viewing distance of 12.5 feet for a 50" TV. So I guess, I will be alright.

6.3 feet for 50"?? :(

Those guys must be crazy!!
You will spoil your eyes in no time.

I have my 42" at 10 feet and looks like optimal. 12 feet should be a good measurement for 50"

I bet you cannot even watch 29" crt from 6.3 feet.. :eek:hyeah:

6.3 feet for 50"?? :(

Those guys must be crazy!!
You will spoil your eyes in no time.

I have my 42" at 10 feet and looks like optimal. 12 feet should be a good measurement for 50"

I bet you cannot even watch 29" crt from 6.3 feet.. :eek:hyeah:

Thanks BLASTO.

Can others comment on safe/optimal viewing distances based on their own experience?

There is no recomended viewing distance as such, its all on your comfort actually. CNET is smart to choose such a hugh margin of 6' for a 50" ofcourse the liking of an indivisual would fall somewhere in between...:rolleyes: Anyway

Ideally its 2.5 to 3 times of the screen size, so for a 50" safe viewing distance is 50"x2.5 to 3 ~ 10.4' to 12.5'. for HD viewing its prefer to sit close, but as i said usually it depends on the indivisual. for example for my 47" the ideal distance should be between 9.7' to 11.75' and I place my self exactly at 10.5 which is where I feel most comfortable viewing my movies......

There is no recomended viewing distance as such, its all on your comfort actually. CNET is smart to choose such a hugh margin of 6' for a 50" ofcourse the liking of an indivisual would fall somewhere in between...:rolleyes: Anyway

Ideally its 2.5 to 3 times of the screen size, so for a 50" safe viewing distance is 50"x2.5 to 3 ~ 10.4' to 12.5'. for HD viewing its prefer to sit close, but as i said usually it depends on the indivisual. for example for my 47" the ideal distance should be between 9.7' to 11.75' and I place my self exactly at 10.5 which is where I feel most comfortable viewing my movies......

This is what CNET has to say about viewing distances -

Wide-Screen TV-Viewing Distances
Nearly every TV sold these days is a wide-screen HDTV, so the chart below only applies to those sets. If you have a regular TV that's not wide screen, the rule of thumb is that you should sit no closer than twice the diagonal measurement in inches. Wide-screen televisions showing high-resolution DVD and HDTV look better than regular sets, allowing you to sit closer and experience a more immersive, theater-like picture.

With wide-screen sets showing DVD or HDTV, you can sit as close as 1.5 times the screen's diagonal measurement and still not notice much of a loss in quality, while sitting farther away than three times the screen size means you're likely to miss out on the immersive feel. Here's a rundown of minimum and maximum recommended viewing distances for wide-screen sets.

screen size Min.(in feet) Max.(in feet)
26 3.3 6.5
30 3.8 7.6
34 4.3 8.5
42 5.3 10.5
47 5.9 11.8
50 6.3 12.5
55 6.9 12.8
60 7.5 15.0
65 8.1 16.2

Thanks Blasto and sam9s for your replies. Very helpful !!

vchounal,

The correct viewing distance is not so straightforward. It is drastically different for SD/HD content. For example, for a 42'', for 1080p ideal distance is approx 6 feet, while for SD content it's approx 15 feet. So wide range, and we need to buy with some compromise since most of us will watch a mixture of SD/HD for years to come ...

Some links:
HDTV Screen Size & Viewing Distance

Viewing Distance for SD (David's Blog)

viewing distance - for SD and HD - HDTV Displays and Technologies - Digital Spy Forums

i got my 42 inch for almost 8 feet...but i feel it better at 10..i wud suggest 11-12 for better enjoyment for a 50 inch... coz cpl of hours wont effect much but it will for sure effect in a long run.

for my 42 incher, the viewing distance varies from 6 to10 feet.
and I am pretty much comfortable with it.

For HD viewing I sit close to enjoy it more. for SD I sit at the farthest place.

Hi friends,

What are your views on HITACHI PLASMA TV 42" FULL HD 1080P MODEL: 42PD9800TA?

Tech2.com India > Hitachi 42PD9800TA Plasma TV > Reviews > HiFi & TV > Plasma

Are you referring to the TV being sold second hand in ebay?
Firstly, the seller has 0 positive points. I would stay away.
Second, It is a 2007 model plasma. Could have Image retension issues.

All said and done, the price seems very reasonable for a 2.5 year old TV. Only IF it is maintained well and has no burn-ins.

Hi,

Today I checked the 46" Toshiba Regza RV600 LCD. The showroom is willing to give it for 70K. Please comment on the TV and the price.

Hi All,

Waiting for your comments on 46" Toshiba Regza RV600 LCD. The showroom is willing to give it for 70K.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back