Need Help to Decide on LCD TV and Home Theatre

vchounal

Dear Friends,

I have bought a PS3 slim for my son. I also intend buying an LCD TV (a 42/46 inch) and a home theatre system. My budget for LCD TV is about 70K and am not sure about the cost of a good home theatre system. I, of course, do not want a DVD player in the home theatre system as I intend using Blue Ray player of PS3.

Kindly give your valuable suggestions about the LCD TV and home theatre system. I live in NCR.

There are many options with 40 inch LCD under 70K..

sony, samsung, lg..

As per my experience i found samsung 40B650 really good (about 63K)..

Also, you may take a look at sony ex500 (about 68K).. samsung 40B550/530 (about 53/50K)..or 40 inch LG (50 to 55K)

start taking demo at showrooms.. and choose the TV you like the most as per your taste..

for 46 ince.. 46b550 (67K) is good deal.. all samsung LCDs are coming with SUN-HD free (including 1 year subscription)..

Last edited:
*** lcd u can go for samsung or lg..have a demo and decide what pleases ur eye..samsung will be in 60k line and lg in 50k (+-5k).. i recetly got a LG LH60YR (jazz theatre 42 for 55k) alokbharti is planning to buy samsung b650( 63k)..both are amazing and value for money..
also specify the budget for your home theatre

Thanks alokbharti, theironhorse and sam9s.

After reading views on other threads on this forum, I am getting inclined towards a plasma TV. I have read good reviews about Samsung B450 and I could consider a 50" set. However, I notice that it is not full HD. Is it advisable to buy a HD Ready TV and not a full HD TV, especially when it will also be used with PS3 for gaming?

Thanks alokbharti, theironhorse and sam9s.

After reading views on other threads on this forum, I am getting inclined towards a plasma TV. I have read good reviews about Samsung B450 and I could consider a 50" set. However, I notice that it is not full HD. Is it advisable to buy a HD Ready TV and not a full HD TV, especially when it will also be used with PS3 for gaming?

Well..what I have read on internet that recent plasmas have no IR problem so there shouldn't be any issues...plus it has better response time and motion handling than LCDs, so gaming should defiantly be better..

I am not much into game.. 720p is enough for me as most of my movies rips are 720p.. 50% of my usage is DTH..that looks better on 720p sets..

Since ps3 games are 1080p..gaming might be better with 1080p set..not sure about that..

Well..what I have read on internet that recent plasmas have no IR problem so there shouldn't be any issues...plus it has better response time and motion handling than LCDs, so gaming should defiantly be better..

I am not much into game.. 720p is enough for me as most of my movies rips are 720p.. 50% of my usage is DTH..that looks better on 720p sets..

Since ps3 games are 1080p..gaming might be better with 1080p set..not sure about that..

Thanks alokbharti.

Friends,

I am getting Samsung B550 50" (plasma) for 70K and LG 47LH90 (LCD with backlit LED) for 79K. Firstly, am I getting a good price? Secondly, I have observed on this forum that both the models are generally not available. I am therefore little suspicious when the dealer is confirming availability of these models. I wanted to have a look at the models displayed in the showroom but the dealer tells me that he doesn't have the models on display. However, the models are available in stock.

Any comments?

Samsung B550 50" (plasma) for 70K and LG 47LH90 (LCD with backlit LED) for 79K

both are excellent deals.. as well as excellent choice for plasma and lcd..

of course these are not available easily... in fact you will nowhere find 50B550 plasma..not even mentioned in samsung india website..this is FullHD plasma and for 70K, it is absolutely worth every penny..

not sure about samsung but lg 47lh90 for 79 is a good deal ..however lg lh 90 is good..
however led backlit is not a grt technology to boast about..i m a owner of lg 42 jazz lh60yr... depends on you what soothes ur eye..also b550 is a good one as well..

what city are u in.. ??

Thanks alokbharti and theironhorse.

I live in NCR. Let's hope the dealer is true to his word and provides me with either of the models.

There are only couple of Games for PS3 which are 1080p - Wipeout Pure. All current games in the Market are only 720p. Cut scenes within Games tend to be 1080p.

However if you're planning to watch original BD's then 1080p does make sense and is a bit future proof is games started to roll out in 1080p.

There are only couple of Games for PS3 which are 1080p - Wipeout Pure. All current games in the Market are only 720p. Cut scenes within Games tend to be 1080p.

However if you're planning to watch original BD's then 1080p does make sense and is a bit future proof is games started to roll out in 1080p.

Is that true?? PS3 games all 720p.....I doubt it. As far as PC games are concerned all current gen games are full hd 1080p.
Well if it IS true, to the OP if you can live with 720p gaming (cheezz man I still cant believe PS3 is 720p) I would say full HD always makes sense as in coming years price for BRp in all means would come down.
Also back lit LG LH90 is a good deal however LED technology......i wont say is not good but for me did not do any exceptional improvement.... infact neglegible. So I would go with @theironhorse for LH60YR or LH70YR (which is what i have) or LH90 all would be good options.........

well ps3 games are 1080p ..also u need to decide about the future proofing if mainly watching tv is your purpose ..then 720p wud work work you..however after 2-3 years once normal tv goes hd...its better u dont feel the pain that point of time...also i dont think u gonna dump this lcd after that time..as its an expensive investment..

so think abt ur requirements...be on safe side..be ready to enjoy the future..rest all ur wish... and we got many experienced guys here who have help you ease out ur selection.

Thanks everyone.

As I had feard, the dealer(s) have now come back to say that both Samsung 50" B550 and LG 47LH90 are ot available.

Need to look for something else now.

Thanks everyone.

As I had feard, the dealer(s) have now come back to say that both Samsung 50" B550 and LG 47LH90 are ot available.

Need to look for something else now.

Dont change the TV change the dealer.....lol

Is that true?? PS3 games all 720p.....I doubt it. As far as PC games are concerned all current gen games are full hd 1080p.
Well if it IS true, to the OP if you can live with 720p gaming (cheezz man I still cant believe PS3 is 720p) I would say full HD always makes sense as in coming years price for BRp in all means would come down.
Also back lit LG LH90 is a good deal however LED technology......i wont say is not good but for me did not do any exceptional improvement.... infact neglegible. So I would go with @theironhorse for LH60YR or LH70YR (which is what i have) or LH90 all would be good options.........

Yes Sam - Only a couple of them are 1080p. Here's a complete list if you want to have a look, that said I'm more than happy with that.

1080p Games

well ps3 games are 1080p .

See my above reply - I've at least dozen games sitting in front of me that are 720p. Xbox 360 games also tend to be 720p which are then upscaled to 1080p by Xbox 360

^^ LH90 manufacturing has been stopped..........is what i have been told.....I think that could be the reason of its shortage. Go for SL90 then, its more expensive though, but thats the LED model LG is now offering....
I would still say LH70 LH60 are better bang for bucks.....

^^ LH90 manufacturing has been stopped..........is what i have been told.....I think that could be the reason of its shortage. Go for SL90 then, its more expensive though, but thats the LED model LG is now offering....
I would still say LH70 LH60 are better bang for bucks.....

Hi Sam9s,

Thanks. Can you please clarify as to why H70 or LH 60 are better than LH50 model? Speck wise and VFM, LH50 seems very good.

Today, I have been to a number of showrooms. Couldn't find Samsung B550 or LG 47LH90 anywhere. A 42LH90 was, however, displayed at one of the showrooms.

I read somewhere in the forum that True Motion can not be turned off in LG LH50 sets. I confirm that this option is available in LH50 having checked today in two show rooms. I found three settings - High, Low & Off.

I have narrowed down my choice to either LG PQ70 (50") or LG 47LH50, both of which are available for 63K. Hopefully, I will be ale to bring it down to 60K.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back