An excellent, close to DIY, awesome home theatre with a difference in a 12 x14 feet space

Yelamanchili manohar

There are plenty of reference grade, cost no object home theatres out there. But came across this in Europe, which is close to DIY, with medium priced components. But done with a lot of thought and knowledge. The components used, apart from the premium Yamaha AVR are easily available locally. And the best part is, that the room size is only 14 x 12 feet, which is the most common domestic size we have in India.

The one commonality I find running all across this theatre, is the investment in sound and not bragging rights. None of the speakers are commercial showroom variants which bestow bragging rights on the owner. But the entire system is built with great quality drivers. The use of a compression horn on the center channel, shows the owner knew what he was doing. So will stop my seduction and post the link below :D

Last edited:
There are plenty of reference grade, cost no object home theatres out there. But came across this in Europe, which is close to DIY, with medium priced components. But done with a lot of thought and knowledge. The components used, apart from the premium Yamaha AVR are easily available locally. And the best part is, that the room size is only 14 x 12 feet, which is the most common domestic size we have in India.

The one commonality I find running all across this theatre, is the investment in sound and not bragging rights. None of the speakers are commercial showroom variants which bestow bragging rights on the owner. But the entire system is built with great quality drivers. The use of a compression horn on the center channel, shows the owner knew what he was doing. So will stop my seduction and post the link below :D

They've used a Crown XLS 1002 stereo amp to power all the speakers!
Besides a Yamaha RX-A8A AVR!
Why such a combo? How it works?
What's the Aventage? 🤔
Who takes the Crown? 😀

Last edited:

wonderful find.. am sure the speaker was designed for the room than fitting a room for a speaker !

They've used a Crown XLS 1002 stereo amp to power all the speakers!
Besides a Yamaha RX-A8A AVR!
Why such a combo? How it works?
What's the Aventage? 🤔
Who takes the Crown? 😀
Yeah i read that too. I suspect that the yamaha aventage ( aventage is yamaha's premium AVR range ) is running the front, center and surround speakers. Iam not sure if it has 11 channels of amplification or 9 channels + 2 channels preamp out. So the height and subs could be driven by the crown XLS, being fed by the preamp outputs of the yamaha.

Yeah i read that too. I suspect that the yamaha aventage ( aventage is yamaha's premium AVR range ) is running the front, center and surround speakers. Iam not sure if it has 11 channels of amplification or 9 channels + 2 channels preamp out. So the height and subs could be driven by the crown XLS, being fed by the preamp outputs of the yamaha.
Maybe you are right 👍
As per ASR- Amir Sir's review, Crown XLS1002 is recommended to drive subs.

Maybe you are right 👍
As per ASR- Amir Sir's review, Crown XLS1002 is recommended to drive subs.
Amir sir 🤣 🤣 .... You seem to be a fan :p.

Yeah the crown are usually good enough for sub duties, where high power to price ratio is called for. Though I feel the pro amps lack dynamics, so they can be bettered in that department, though at substantial cost. I have a Crown XTI 4002 here, for the subs I was supposed to build 2 years back. Never got around to it so far :rolleyes:.

But if I was building subs today, I would go for the plate amps from Minidsp or Hypex fusion.

Last edited:
Amir sir 🤣 🤣 .... You seem to be a fan :p.

Yeah the crown are usually good enough for sub duties, where high power to price ratio is called for. Though I feel the pro amps lack dynamics, so they can be bettered in that department, though at substantial cost. I have a Crown XTI 4002 here, for the subs I was supposed to build 2 years back. Never got around to it so far :rolleyes:.

But if I was building subs today, I would go for the plate amps from Minidsp or Hypex fusion.
I'm a fan of Aamir Khan 🎬
Amir....Sir- as he is an illustrious tech wizard, with decades of professional experience, not just an audio science expert. So respect him for that. Big brands are demolished and chi-fis rule there 😀Amir Sir was impressed and recommended the Crown XTi4002, but found it noisy for home use, but great for driving subwoofers.
The professional amp he recommended for home use is Behringer A800

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Aamir Khan 🎬
Amir....Sir- as he is an illustrious tech wizard, with decades of professional experience, not just an audio science expert. So respect him for that. Big brands are demolished and chi-fis rule there 😀Amir Sir was impressed and recommended the Crown XTi4002, but found it noisy for home use, but great for driving subwoofers.
The professional amp he recommended for home use is Behringer A800
Haha...understand :)

The crown does have fans for cooling. So not ideal in a home environment. I will be disconnecting the fans and mounting heat sinks if I ever use them..

Thanks for the headsup on the behringer. And enjoy your music :)

Last edited:
Haha...understand :)

The crown does have fans for cooling. So not ideal in a home environment. I will be disconnecting the fans and mounting heat sinks if I ever use them..

Thanks for the headsup on the behringer. And enjoy your music
I don't have a hi-fi setup, nor do I have sufficient knowledge about hi-fi systems.
So I'm in awe of our audiophile FMs who possess both of them. And I'm trying to figure out an appropriate system for me by reading their posts.
Once I had described your dream setup as Manoharam.
Thanks for sharing your expertise 🙏

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back