Need help, totally confused regarding a HT setup

Thanks a lot Venkat for the heads up, but will the Yamaha AVR (463 in my budget) be able to do such work? I mean for this I'll have to go for a high-end AVR right? I'm on a very tight budget here :-( .... With this small budget I'm going nowhere it seems :-(

Yes a small budget is a problem.

One way to overcome this is to choose you amp and speakers carefully.

• Make sure the amp always has more power than what is specified for the speaker.
  • Ensure that the impedance output by the amp and the speaker impedance match.
  • Ensure that you get the largest possible speakers for for the Front L&R and that your centre speaker is also as large as possible. Your front and centre speaker should have 6.5 inches drivers at the minimum.

Another way of solving this issue is to look for local speaker manufacturers who can give you a good deal on some good speakers. Another way is look for a pair of good second hand speakers that can be used as fronts and then match a set of other speakers to complete the 5.1 A third way is to look for non standard speakers - form companies such as Philips, LG, Samsung and others who make speakers specifically for a HT system. They may not have the reputation of branded speaker manufacturer, but there is no harm is auditioning them.

I have heard the 463 attached to good speakers also deliver decent movie sound.

Think out of the box. You have have to do some ground work, but that will be better than regretting what you buy.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
Thanks for the detailed reply..
I was currently thinking on the following line and let me know if this path is ok or not. I want to build up the system step by step now. I hope this approach is correct.

Step 1: Planning to spend 20k on the AVR and hence the option I can see is the Yamaha 463. Pioneer is almost ruled out which was available for 18k. I checked the Denon 1509 too but the price is 24k.

Step 2: For speakers I was planning to go for the Mission floorstandars as of now. M34i is available for 18k+shipping(2k more).
As reju mentioned I'l; check out the Polks also. I hope they are as good as Missions. Do I have any other options available for this price range?

Step 3: So basically currently I'll have 2.0 system and will be adding a Subwoofer later once I can again allot some budget(but that'll again take 3-4 months). I auditioned polk and Sonodyne sometime back and I liked the sonodyne 210 Roarr which is available for 14.5k. It had good punch and tight bass. Is it good decision or any other better subs available for that price. Wharfedale SW150 is currently priced at 21k at Total Sounds bangalore so out of my budget:-(

Step 4: Next plan is to add the Center and the surrounds. Are mission centers are as good as their floorstandars? Or can I do mix and match from other brands speakers? I'm yet to allocate a budget for these.

Regards,
Kaushik

Few additional info:
I'll be using the system for listening to Music too. I'm not a audiophile or something and I probably won't be able to distinguish between notes and all. But I do like good music and somehow I can feel if the music output is not good. And I can't bear harsh high frequencies(I tend to get headaches). mostly I listen to Pink Floyd, dire straits, GnR, U2, Deep Purple, etc kind of music(late 80's and 90's) and Hindi and other regional music.
Movies, I almost watch any kind of movie, just the story has to be good and I love it when special sound affects are thrown in.

Step 1: Planning to spend 20k on the AVR and hence the option I can see is the Yamaha 463. Pioneer is almost ruled out which was available for 18k. I checked the Denon 1509 too but the price is 24k.

Though the Yamah os good, you must audition it before cutting your cheque.

Step 2: For speakers I was planning to go for the Mission floorstandars as of now. M34i is available for 18k+shipping(2k more). As reju mentioned I'l; check out the Polks also. I hope they are as good as Missions. Do I have any other options available for this price range?

The Missions are a good choice. Most other comparable speakers would cost you 25 to 30K. I did hear the Missions recently with Yamaha 663 and they sounded nice.

Step 3: So basically currently I'll have 2.0 system and will be adding a Subwoofer later once I can again allot some budget(but that'll again take 3-4 months). I auditioned polk and Sonodyne sometime back and I liked the sonodyne 210 Roarr which is available for 14.5k. It had good punch and tight bass. Is it good decision or any other better subs available for that price. Wharfedale SW150 is currently priced at 21k at Total Sounds bangalore so out of my budget:-(

What about Mission subs? Are they not available at around 15K? If you buy the Mission M34i, Mission subs may be a better match. If not, there is no harm is getting the Sonodyne sub.

Step 4: Next plan is to add the Center and the surrounds. Are mission centers are as good as their floorstandars? Or can I do mix and match from other brands speakers? I'm yet to allocate a budget for these.

Mission is a good brand and they do make good speakers. For some reason they are being sold at reduced prices, so it does make sense to go for them. Yes they do make good centres and surrounds also.

I'll be using the system for listening to Music too. I'm not a audiophile or something and I probably won't be able to distinguish between notes and all. But I do like good music and somehow I can feel if the music output is not good. And I can't bear harsh high frequencies(I tend to get headaches). mostly I listen to Pink Floyd, dire straits, GnR, U2, Deep Purple, etc kind of music(late 80's and 90's) and Hindi and other regional music. Movies, I almost watch any kind of movie, just the story has to be good and I love it when special sound affects are thrown in.

Though I have read many people say so, I have never felt the Yamaha being harsh. If you play in the Pure Direct mode or in the Straight mode, the Yamaha xx3 series deliver some good music to the rightly matches speakers.

But as I said, please do a detailed audition before buying. My ears are different from yours, and it is your ears that you have to live with.

Cheers

I'll do a audition of the Yamaha today. If possible I'll go to their IndiraNagar showroom instead of excite to listen to the AVR.
The decision about Mission is purely based on the reviews as of now and I'm unable to find a place in Bangalore where I can audition them. Although I'm not very comfortable of buying anything without seeing it first but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
How much normally the equivalent Centers and surrounds costs? I think as of now I'll use my old Sony Front L/R's as surrounds if needed. Just for experiment basis.
And what'll be the cost of wiring for the fronts? I was told that I'll get good bass cables with the sub-woofer.

How much normally the equivalent Centers and surrounds costs? I think as of now I'll use my old Sony Front L/R's as surrounds if needed. Just for experiment basis. And what'll be the cost of wiring for the fronts? I was told that I'll get good bass cables with the sub-woofer.

The centre and the surrounds should cost you around 10K-15K each.

Regarding wiring, if you buy a good OFC cable for about 100 Rs a meter, you may have to spend some 500 to 600 Rupees to wire the fronts. Also please keep some money for good interconnects.

The sub cable will cost you between 1000 to 3000 depending upon length and quality. There are inexpensive cables that I am sure other members will recommend, but I have always had to throw them away.

Cheers

I've recently auditioned the Yamaha 463 with Yamaha speakers( I forgot the number, probably it was 7900 or something) last weekend. While the lows were nice and thumping, vocals were good. But the highs were bit too harsh. The equalizer was set to flat and I still couldn't bear the highs, sounded very shrill to me. But I presume it must be because of the speakers more than the receiver. After I came out I listened to the same tracks on my car audio(might not be a correct comparison) and they weren't sounding that harsh even at high volume and were much detailed than the Yamaha speakers for the highs. I may be wrong in my inferences as I'm no audiophile and just a plain normal listener.
Next in line is to check the Denon (1509 mostly) and marantz(if 4002 is available for a lower price) but I'm having a bad feeling that I'm not going to get satisfied with anyone for the music front.

I've recently auditioned the Yamaha 463 with Yamaha speakers( I forgot the number, probably it was 7900 or something) last weekend. While the lows were nice and thumping, vocals were good. But the highs were bit too harsh. The equalizer was set to flat and I still couldn't bear the highs, sounded very shrill to me. But I presume it must be because of the speakers more than the receiver. After I came out I listened to the same tracks on my car audio(might not be a correct comparison) and they weren't sounding that harsh even at high volume and were much detailed than the Yamaha speakers for the highs. I may be wrong in my inferences as I'm no audiophile and just a plain normal listener.
Next in line is to check the Denon (1509 mostly) and marantz(if 4002 is available for a lower price) but I'm having a bad feeling that I'm not going to get satisfied with anyone for the music front.

Yamaha is not well known for its speakers. So I am not surprised by your feedback.

A update: Found that Decibels.inc are the dealers of Mission in Bangalore but they don't have any showrooms as of now. I talked to Anand (I got his number here on the forum) and he probably will soon setup the showroom. But as of now I don't know where and how to to audition the missions. Price quoted was 25k with some discount(5% if I remember correctly). Anyone in Bangalore have missions (m34i or m35i)? Please, please help.

A update: Found that Decibels.inc are the dealers of Mission in Bangalore but they don't have any showrooms as of now. I talked to Anand (I got his number here on the forum) and he probably will soon setup the showroom. But as of now I don't know where and how to to audition the missions. Price quoted was 25k with some discount(5% if I remember correctly). Anyone in Bangalore have missions (m34i or m35i)? Please, please help.

You can audition mission in total sounds, next to bangalore hospital.

You can audition mission in total sounds, next to bangalore hospital.
Is it the same place where you get Wharfedales? The shop is in the ground floor, right?

Try this number Mr. Bashir, 9739520786, quoted 19.5K M 34i (a week back) I got this number from this forum itself, just I am repeating it.
Thanks. I'll call him. BTW is this guy a dealer? Will this be with B&W or grey market stuff?

Thanks. I'll call him. BTW is this guy a dealer? Will this be with B&W or grey market stuff?[/QUOTE]

I don't know exactly? I just enquired about price, if you get more information please pass on to me.

Will check them up this weekend, actually last weekend only I went there to check the Denon+ProFx package. Didn't like it much though but the offer was mouth-watering.

Did you check this offer? I went to ProFx shop @ Atria and they had Denon+Polk, but it was for 40K

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back