Need help with audio setup (Completely New to Audio Systems)

vgowthan97

Hi All,

I am looking to set up a audio system for my bedroom with a minimal budget (50k). Usage is rare so not willing to spend more.

I have decided to buy a Soundbar with Wireless Rear Speakers. I learned that the budget soundbars are nothing infront of the expensive AVRs.

The budget soundbars only give a virtual 5.1 effect and not the true effect. But still, My mind is leaning towards a soundbar with surround speakers since I always wanted to experience a surround sound (virtual atleast).

The options I have considered are,

Sony HT S40R
Samsung A670
JBL bar 5.1 with detachable speakers.

Listened to all the three. I didn’t like the sony one.

Samsung A670 was very good for its price.

JBL was impressive of all the three. But the rear speakers are battery powered which stops me from buying that. And in most of the online reviews, There seems to be a lot of niggles on the software side. And there are too many complaints about the service support of JBL.

So can you guys please suggest me which one should I choose between these. Or if there are any better alternatives in this budget. My only requirement is the rear speakers should be wireless from the main unit. The wires between rear speakers and rear control unit is not a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Have you looked at Polk Magnifi Max SR? Online prices are higher than your budget, but offline prices might be lower. You might still have to stretch a bit, but it's a true 5.1 soundbar, not virtual.

Have you looked at Polk Magnifi Max SR? Online prices are higher than your budget, but offline prices might be lower. You might still have to stretch a bit, but it's a true 5.1 soundbar, not virtual.
Thanks for your suggestion!

But my budget is strictly around 50k. It was around 40k earlier but stretched it just for JBL Bar 5.1.

Hi All,

I am looking to set up a audio system for my bedroom with a minimal budget (50k).

It seems to me your decision to buy a soundbar is more based on inability to find something suitable than convenience + lifestyle. If that's correct I want to dissuade you away from buying a soundbar. No soundbar with wireless surround under 50k will offer satisfactory audio performance.

It will make sense to buy a pre-loved AVR at about 10-15k with five satelites at about 5-10-20k and add a subwoofer at ~10k. It will still be inside your 50k ceiling and beat the sound from any soundbar at much higher price.

But if your main aim is a clean setup, good aesthetics, ease of use - then it makes sense to go for a soundbar. Out of the three, the Samsung will be my pick as well.

Hi All,

I am looking to set up a audio system for my bedroom with a minimal budget (50k). Usage is rare so not willing to spend more.

I have decided to buy a Soundbar with Wireless Rear Speakers. I learned that the budget soundbars are nothing infront of the expensive AVRs.

The budget soundbars only give a virtual 5.1 effect and not the true effect. But still, My mind is leaning towards a soundbar with surround speakers since I always wanted to experience a surround sound (virtual atleast).

The options I have considered are,

Sony HT S40R
Samsung A670
JBL bar 5.1 with detachable speakers.

Listened to all the three. I didn’t like the sony one.

Samsung A670 was very good for its price.

JBL was impressive of all the three. But the rear speakers are battery powered which stops me from buying that. And in most of the online reviews, There seems to be a lot of niggles on the software side. And there are too many complaints about the service support of JBL.

So can you guys please suggest me which one should I choose between these. Or if there are any better alternatives in this budget. My only requirement is the rear speakers should be wireless from the main unit. The wires between rear speakers and rear control unit is not a problem.

Thanks in advance!
This will be within your budget and better than any soundbars. Soundbars are total waste and you will regret buying them.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. From the replies, I can understand that real 5.1 systems are the best.

I still cannot decide whether to go with wired ones since I have no idea on how to pull wires from one end of the room to another without any hassles.

But still, If I decide to go with the wired 5.1 systems, Whether the Yamaha 3072 is the best in this price range or is there any alternatives?

I've been looking for a budget 5.1 as well. There's not much available within Rs. 50000. Even the Yamaha 3072 package is hard to find. It shows as available on Amazon, but when I got to the order page, it says cannot be delivered to your address.

I'm finally considering a Pioneer AVR with Mission M-Cube+SE for 57k (hoping I'll be able to negotiate a bit). There are two reasons for considering this:
  • Cheapest high quality setup I can find.
  • The speaker system comes with stands, wall mounts, and sufficient cable for a decent sized room. So no additional cost on accessories.
Haven't finalised yet though since I haven't been able to get a demo of these speakers yet (scheduled for next Saturday).

If you can find the Yamaha 3072 for Rs. 39000, there's really nothing else comparable in this budget. The AVR is decent, in case you want to upgrade the speakers in future.

I've been looking for a budget 5.1 as well. There's not much available within Rs. 50000. Even the Yamaha 3072 package is hard to find. It shows as available on Amazon, but when I got to the order page, it says cannot be delivered to your address.

I'm finally considering a Pioneer AVR with Mission M-Cube+SE for 57k (hoping I'll be able to negotiate a bit). There are two reasons for considering this:
  • Cheapest high quality setup I can find.
  • The speaker system comes with stands, wall mounts, and sufficient cable for a decent sized room. So no additional cost on accessories.
Haven't finalised yet though since I haven't been able to get a demo of these speakers yet (scheduled for next Saturday).

If you can find the Yamaha 3072 for Rs. 39000, there's really nothing else comparable in this budget. The AVR is decent, in case you want to upgrade the speakers in future.
Yeah bro. As you said, Yamaha 3072 is unavailable at all the sources I tried. Heard that Reliance Digital is official dealer but they too clearly said that it is not available anywhere and the model has been stopped long ago.

Any ideas on where it will be available?

@vgowthan97
There are big differences between a surround home theatre system and a two channel stereo system.
Since you are starting out with a budget of 50k for your first system may I suggest you take some time to research and understand the differences between these and not buy anything in a hurry.
Since your location is not specified in your profile, you can not request assistance and possibly auditions from local forum members who may be willing to guide you.
You could of course go to the dealer show rooms, but their motives would be obviously to sell you what they have- not what you are seeking.
A good start is to think about your audio goals -
Are you looking to augment your TV/video sound? - then a Multi channel HT system may suit your needs.
Or
are you looking for audiophile quality in your music listening (with limited or little visual distractions) - a two channel set up would be preferable.
Many people however want a mixture of both- (eg 60% TV and 40% pure audio listening) - it gets complicated

You can try to audition both set ups to understand the differences. But take your time and don’t rush into your reliance dealer and buy something that a good salesperson recconends.

You did join this forum and ask the question: i am sure there are many experienced FM who can guide you and help you spend your budget for a good quality set up.

My usage:
Watching Regular TV channels in STB - 30%
Watching Movies - 60% (Prime and Netflix)
Listening to Music is almost rare.

Always wanted to experience some kind of rear surround sound while watching a movie. Thats why even when looking at soundbars, I was looking for a one with rear speakers.

The reason why I wanted to buy soon is - The prices would be low on the upcoming Amazon and Flipkart sale days.

By the suggestions from this thread, I feel that it is quite impossible to get a true 5.1 setup under 50k as of now. Is that right?

Last edited:
My usage:

Always wanted to experience some kind of rear surround sound while watching a movie. Thats why even when looking at soundbars, I was looking for a one with rear speakers.

The reason why I wanted to buy soon is - The prices would be low on the upcoming Amazon and Flipkart sale days.

By the suggestions from this thread, I feel that it is quite impossible to get a true 5.1 setup under 50k as of now. Is that right?
That makes it very easy once you have specified your AV needs as your priority.

There is one another way to get great value for your budget: get used HT systems.
You can often find great deals at very good prices.
Check out the “ classifieds “ section at the bottom of the home page for good deals.
FMs selling used equipment can be trusted to tell you the truth about what they are selling etc much more than people selling on sites like OLX. An audition before buying would be ideal. But you are located at No GPS….
Remember you can buy the AV receiver and multi channel speakers from different sellers.

Edit: I had a quick look and I did not see any HT equipment for sale here in the classifieds section. But I might have missed some.

Last edited:
My usage:

It's not impossible, you just have to look for a bit. I'm getting a Pioneer AVR with Mission Mcube+SE for 55k, brand new.

Amazon/Flipkart are not the best places to buy HT systems. Proper shops will give it to you for cheaper and you can also get a demo at times. So try those. As someone said, people will be able to help you better if you tell your location.

See if you can find this in any shop. They may have other stuff in stock that in not advertised online.

While enquiring about Yamaha 3072, The dealer said that he has 1840 in stock. He quoted a price of around 32k for Yamaha 1840.

Is it worthy when compared to the other alternatives?

While enquiring about Yamaha 3072, The dealer said that he has 1840 in stock. He quoted a price of around 32k for Yamaha 1840.

Is it worthy when compared to the other alternatives?
It's a good one to start with, but it has got a passive subwoofer. So, you might have to shell out an additional $ for a sub amplifier.

If I have to choose between Samsung A670 soundbar with rear speakers and Yamaha 1840, which would be the better option?
Definitely Yamaha.
Mainly because you'll have an upgrade path, if you wish to upgrade in future. You will be able to upgrade in parts.

With Samsung, when you want to upgrade, you will have to start afresh.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back