Need help with buying new speakers and avr

kaushik_dhume

Dear friends. I am planning to buy a new stereo system .It will be mostly for music and less for movies.This is my first buy and I d not have much knowledge about this.
I am planning to go for an AVR with two tower speakers which I plan to upgrade to a 5.1 system later. My budget would be around 60-70 thousand for the tower speakers and AVR.
I was planning to go for POLK TSX 440 t with a DENON AVR( AVR-x520BT or AVR-X510BT)
1.Could anybody suggest any other combination of the same?
2.Will I get any other better speakers in the same price range?
3. If you suggest to go for POLK would the above mentioned AVRs be good enough to power the towers (and my future 5.1 system??)
Kindly help me out .Looking forwards to your help and suggestions,
Regards
Dr Kaushik Dhume

Hi

Since you are based in Goa , I guess there would be limited dealers where you can go and audition systems and decide what appeals to you in performance, budget and what are your expectations.

If you are coming to Mumbai, you can audition a variety of systems at various dealers..and make a sound decision. It also depends on your listening area..how big etc...the 510 or 520 is enough for an area of 200 -250sq ft but that will be pushing the AVR to perform at loud volumes if you want good music and movie effects....punch is what we all look out for coupled with decent equalization and clarity,

The approach is good to buy a AVR and 2 tower speakers first and then slowly go for the other add ons of center speaker, surrounds and subwoofer....

See the threads under Home Theatre if you need to have suggestion on systems. Alternatively, click on my name to see some posts related to this....

If you are open to Preowned systems, look at the For Sale by Owner section and Hi Fi Ads....good systems are being sold for reasonable rates....all the best....

Thank you for your valuable advice.My area is not too large about 220 sqft.I also don't intend to play music loudly.Do you think something from wharfedale like the diamond 225 would be a better option as compared to the polk tsx 440t ?

Did audition today.tried the wharfedale diamond 10.7 10.6 and 204, pioneer (Andrew Jones ) and quad.I just loved the 10.6.so warm sounding wih deep bass.also tried quad amp and marantz r 1402.I think the marantz was awesome.

If your eventual goal is to build up a 5.1 system. Then i would suggest that for the moment u utilize your money to buy good bookshelf speakers. Floor-standing speakers are good because they can give u a good low range with good bass. FS speakers come into play when u have a large room. for a small room u can do with bookshelf speakers. Since u cant pay too loud or else people with say that the doctor is making too much noise :).
But if u r planning to add a subwoofer, then i would suggest u go for bookshelf speakers. When combined with a subwoofer, they can produce the appropriate sound and as good as floor standing speakers. This way you can re-adjust ur budget and get better value.

I would suggest you check out :
ELAC B6/5
Zensor 3/1
Q Acoustics 3020/3021

Floorstanders are lookers and perform well when given space to breathe and coupled with a capable amp.
On the down side, they come with their unique set of headaches:
- bulky and heavy to move around
- can be power hungry
- excite more room modes than you can imagine

Since you are planning for an AVR, it comes with bass management and will have a sub out. Don't rule out stand-mounts while in audition mode.
You may end up liking FS over many SM models, but it does not hurt to hear out the SM speakers when you are at the dealer.

I was in this dilemma for a long time, a few years actually. FS really appealed to me. But then a little guy in my brain (I call him the 90-50 dude) kicked in.
My system has been put together on this principle. Can I get 90% of the fun by paying 30-50% of the price I am willing to pay.
And yes I settled with Stand Mounts.

Cheers,
Raghu

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back