Need help with Home Theatre cum entertainment room

To frank_dude:

yes, DIY TH-SPUD is a custom built subwoofer. Its approx 48" x 48" x 11" high. You can build the riser and accommodate this subwoofer in it. You will need an external subwoofer amp or you can build that into the riser itself. Two 8" woofers are also needed.

You can show the plan to a carpenter and he should be able to build you one in no time. Check your PM

There are a lot of ratios for golden room size. Among them Sepmeyer's ratios are widely accepted:
Sepmeyer Room A: 1.14C x 1.39C x C
Sepmeyer Room B: 1.29C x 1.54C x C
Sepmeyer Room C: 1.60C x 2.33C x C
*C=Height

So you can go for the best possible,
eg: 23.3 x 16 x 10 feet

There are a lot of ratios for golden room size. Among them Sepmeyer's ratios are widely accepted:
Sepmeyer Room A: 1.14C x 1.39C x C
Sepmeyer Room B: 1.29C x 1.54C x C
Sepmeyer Room C: 1.60C x 2.33C x C
*C=Height

So you can go for the best possible,
eg: 23.3 x 16 x 10 feet

The room is big enough but the problem is to accommodate it because of the pillars. Please suggest on how to go about it. I have some mock sketches in my previous post

To frank_dude:

yes, DIY TH-SPUD is a custom built subwoofer. Its approx 48" x 48" x 11" high. You can build the riser and accommodate this subwoofer in it. You will need an external subwoofer amp or you can build that into the riser itself. Two 8" woofers are also needed.

You can show the plan to a carpenter and he should be able to build you one in no time. Check your PM

Oh thanks...Great idea, and thanks for the links.:)

Hey guys,
Sorry i have been busy lately and wasn't able to update the thread but since my last time i did some research and have also auditioned various home theater packages from various companies.
I had selected 4 companies, namely -:
Boston Acoustics
Sonodyne
Paradigm
Wharfdale

After auditioning and taking note of their prices i found the following to my liking
Sonodyne FS - 7.1 system
Wharfdale 10.7 series - 7.1 system

Now the prices i am getting on both of them are

Wharfdale (the best deal i found, online or offline)

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 Floorstanding Home Theatre 5.1 Package + Denon AVR-2113 AV Receiver

Sonodyne
2 FS 2606v3 - 29k
4 Suuround rears V3 - 27200
1 Centre 2401v3 - 6450
1 Sub roar 210 - 19450
AVR pioneer VSX922 - 42900

Also whichever showroom i visited they seemed to push for pioneer amp and said that denon's quality has degraded now a days, Is there any truth to that ? or is it just their marketing and profit margins at play ?
I opted out of paradigm was because i was quoted 2.5 lakh for the cheapest option with FS fronts and 1.6 lakh with all 5 satellite speakers. How come this guy is getting the setup for so much cheaper, any idea ?
Which one should i Opt ?

Last edited:
I don't understand the lack of interest in my thread but just to keep the ones following it updated.
I finalised on Sonodyne sonus 2605V3 with surrounds
It will be a 7.1 system.
I am still confused about the AVR, i have the option of pioneer and denon. i have already expressed my dilemma in my previous post. Any help in this matter would be really appreciated.
Also i have settled on a projector but i still have a week to change my choice, i have currently chosen Epson tw8100.

Thank you for the help guys

Last edited:
I don't understand the lack of interest in my thread but just to keep the ones following it updated.
I finalised on Sonodyne sonus 2605V3 with surrounds
It will be a 7.1 system.
I am still confused about the AVR, i have the option of pioneer and denon. i have already expressed my dilemma in my previous post. Any help in this matter would be really appreciated.
Also i have settled on a projector but i still have a week to change my choice, i have currently chosen Epson tw8100.

Thank you for the help guys

frankly dude. good choice, i own the sonodyne bipole V3 sonus speakers and they are pretty good. going through your post, i had the 5.1 vs 7.1 dilemma as well but since i was already wired for 7.1 i put the 5.1 dali and added the 2 sonus speakers as surround. i have a denon amp and was also given a choice between pioneer vsx series and denon. i chose denon. dont go by what he says-she says. audition the amps on your setup to find which suits u better. my dali's love the denon (just saying). as far as the projector is concerned, u cannot go wrong with the epson 8100, its knock ur socks off good. soo good that you dont even need a screen (if your painter gets the job right and you have no light in your basement--same as mine). hope this helps :)

yes reason is original 7.1 material is very rare even in original blu ray disks.
yeah well useless term is relative.
if someone likes 7.1 speakers..its no problem at all.
imho by that extra money better sub or better centre can do much improvement.
well this way i think..others may differ.

well said. BUT 7.1 helps in stereo mode especially in a room as big as mine (8500 cubic feet). latest blu rays are also encoded 5.1. so when i made it 7.1 and bi - amped by denon amplifier setting, the surround would fire with the fronts and it becomes vey disturbing. so i have made them into rear and will use them more for stereo sound like cricket matchs etc (IPL is around the corner) !!

frankly dude. good choice, i own the sonodyne bipole V3 sonus speakers and they are pretty good. going through your post, i had the 5.1 vs 7.1 dilemma as well but since i was already wired for 7.1 i put the 5.1 dali and added the 2 sonus speakers as surround. i have a denon amp and was also given a choice between pioneer vsx series and denon. i chose denon. dont go by what he says-she says. audition the amps on your setup to find which suits u better. my dali's love the denon (just saying). as far as the projector is concerned, u cannot go wrong with the epson 8100, its knock ur socks off good. soo good that you dont even need a screen (if your painter gets the job right and you have no light in your basement--same as mine). hope this helps :)

Yes that's what i am going to do, i talked to the person and he happily obliged saying i will set it up and you can demo the speakers with Denon and buy whichever AVR you prefer.
Ya my reason to go for 7.1 was the 3 row seating, some changes were made from my last uploaded plans on this thread.
and as far as projector is concerned the person i am buying it from said the same thing that since you have a tight budget lets just paint and screen.
Thank you for your suggestions :)

Epson is a great choice. What price were you quoted for it?

I have been quoted a price of approx 1.35-1.4 lakh, Is it a fair price or should i look around ?

I have been quoted a price of approx 1.35-1.4 lakh, Is it a fair price or should i look around ?

You can expect a little more discount on it. I paid 1,30,500 (incl taxes) couple of months ago. Got it from abhi projections Abhi Projection

They also have profx dealership now and you can expect appx 15% discount on denon avr from them.

You can expect a little more discount on it. I paid 1,30,500 (incl taxes) couple of months ago. Got it from abhi projections Abhi Projection

They also have profx dealership now and you can expect appx 15% discount on denon avr from them.

I contacted Abhi Projections and the current price they quoted was the same i was getting from my guy so i am sticking with him.

I went ahead and listed to Denon and Pioneer amp back to back on the Sonodyne's and although i heard praises about Denon, the pioneer suited better with these speakers and gave better sound according to my tastes.
So i finalized pioneer which is 7k cheaper then the Denon so am a happy guy.

Will keep you guys updates as things progress.

So guys i am here with some progress on the build and some queries .

The Progress
The room is built and the false ceiling is done and the speaker and projector wiring is completed. Fixed the projector mounts as well.
So the front and back wall of the room are finished with P.O.P and the side walls r lest like that , this is where the query part comes in.
I want to know according to my equipment and room dimensions do i need to insulate the side walls with glass wool or i can just paste thin carpet on the wall and flooring with some MDF board for design purposes which also will help stop the sound bouncing too much.
I want a balanced sound, not much echo and nor a flat sound.

Attaching pics for reference.

Attachments

• DSC_0108.jpg
    DSC_0108.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 33
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back