Need help with USB DAC - WASAPI setting in Foobar2000...

Hello everyone
Currently I am using my laptop as the main source (320mp3/flacs) running Foobar configured for wasapi (event). Using Modi Uber 2 feeding directly to Denon AVR via CD in. The issue is when switched to direct/pure direct mode the sound goes flat/muffled. Possible reasons for this?
Another doubt is about the compatibility of the DAC & AVR. The specs says for DAC max output is 1.5 V rms and output impedance is 75ohm while the input sensitivity of the AVR is 200mV/47kohms. Is it OK to feed AVR directly from DAC or do I need a preamp in between?

Try other options like DirectSound, WaveOut, in Foobar and see if that improves SQ.

Like stated MP3 320 kbps will not sound that great (in comparison to audio CD and FLAC rips), but it will not be that bad if done correctly.

Check if you can use another PC or laptop and play the same track. Even a USB if your AVR has that option. It will give you a good idea if the PC is the main source of your muffled sound.

Not sure about the specs, but I do have my Schiit DAC plugged into the AVR (Onkyo) directly without any issues.

I just tried audio CD playback thru my laptop drive and the pure direct sounded better than the 'processed' mode. So it may be issue with the source file only. All my mp3s sound awesome in my ICE system and was expecting the same output with set up at home :p

I just tried audio CD playback thru my laptop drive and the pure direct sounded better than the 'processed' mode. So it may be issue with the source file only. All my mp3s sound awesome in my ICE system and was expecting the same output with set up at home :p

How are the MP3s encoded?

Typically 320 kbps VBR is the best option.

Anything less than MP3 256 kbps sucks (especially as your gear gets more resolving or higher up the chain) and VBR is much better than CBR.

Back in the day when storage was premium I'd rip in MP3 especially for the mobile, car, etc. Now HDDs are so cheap MP3 does not make any sense. I've ripped over 1900 of my CDs in FLAC and I'm just over 1 TB. Very unlikely I'll ever cross 2 TB... I don't even buy that many CDs these days as most of my collection of my favorite artists is complete.

1-2 TB should suffice for 99% of folks and that's like $50-60 for most HDDs. 1 or 2 backups should be enough.

Just my 2 cents...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back