need helping in choosing a system

bhutnath

I am moving into a new home and need to put in place system from scratch.
The space at my new home is an inverted L shape. The living area will be at the top left, i.e. 3 sides will have walls nearby with the right hand side wall a good 20-25 feet away. (top leg of L is 12 feet deep and 35 feet wide)

What I all ready have -
Not much just a mid-range panasonic projector (720p).

The problem I face -

In my past residence I shared a Sony TV with a pair of panasonic speaker (model unkown, but 5 year old purchase. Speakers barely over 1 feet the pair has to be less than 50L. Brother was a miser, could even be much cheaper :) )

I was hoping to enhance my Movie watching experience significantly with a new purchase. The difficulty is I am not sure if a very good quality 2 speakers with a center would be a better choice over a typical Home theatre in a box (sony etc) available in the market.

I want to buy the cheapest system that can give me a spectacular (significant) improvement in experience over existing setup. This is what creates the problem. Would a pair of B&W 683 speakers (2L) with some thing for a center and sub (90K), Onkyo 805 AMP (60k?) (total 3.5L) be better than
a) Bose Life style 48 (2.6L)
b) B&W MT 30 with Onkyo 805 (2L)
c) B&W 685 theatre set with onkyo 806 (2.5L)

options a,b,c are 5.1 surround setups while the 683 is not. Would better front speakers make for superior experience by themselves over a lower quality but surround setup (B&W MT 30?).

While I could blow 3-4L (painfully) I don't have to go spend it. I will go that far only if I cannot find a good enough system at lower price. With this in mind I have been trying to test out the off the shelf Home in Theatre systems.

Would a MT-30 or Bose Lifestyle be significantly better than Sony Muteki STRK 5000 or Onkyo &.1 HT S5100 (both around 40-50k)?

The retail stores where I found them had no A/V room. (Reliance, Jumbo)

A few places with AV rooms (Sony) are very small and bare (glass doors, cement walls,ceilings and floor, no cushioning). It has lead me to wonder if the sound of off the shelf systems would be better than what I heard in stores. These systems have 5 star ratings at various internet reviews (whathifi.com etc)

I am in a fix, would 1.5L more be worth spending getting mt30 or bose etc over sonny?

Do I have other smarter choices?

About me - I have no idea about sound systems. Left home with the expectation of picking a Home theater system from my nearest retail and expected it to blow me away. Found most stores not prepared to give me a 'taste', where I could review the setup was poor or only one-mid range system installed.

Unhappy I am exploring component based setups. With no idea about this stuff, it seems complicated and expensive. I am wondering if I would be better off just picking up a simple 3:1 system and dump the whole exercise. After all why spend even 50k more if the experience wouldn't be a substantial jump over what I have heard so far.

In short, should I spend, if so on what and why.
(pls: I will use it for mainly TV - movies and sport, DVDs, very limited usage for music - Bollywood songs)

bhutnath.....1.5 - 2L is more than enough for a very satisfying home cinema experience, but for that you first need to get the Bose brand out of your system. Bose is overpriced and of mediocre quality and for the same amount of money you spend on Bose, you can get much much better sound. Also rubbish the thought of buying a consumer brand like SOny or Samsung or LG, not worth it.

Say if you're going with a budget of 1.5 lakhs, consider a Yamaha 763 AVR (or a Denon 1909 or Onkyo 606) and a speaker setup around that where you can consider Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Tannoy, PSB, Mordaunt-Short and KEF, among others. Explore these brands, listen to them, and you'll realise what Bose is not giving you.

I am moving into a new home and need to put in place system from scratch.
The space at my new home is an inverted L shape. The living area will be at the top left, i.e. 3 sides will have walls nearby with the right hand side wall a good 20-25 feet away. (top leg of L is 12 feet deep and 35 feet wide)

What I all ready have -
Not much just a mid-range panasonic projector (720p).

The problem I face -

In my past residence I shared a Sony TV with a pair of panasonic speaker (model unkown, but 5 year old purchase. Speakers barely over 1 feet the pair has to be less than 50L. Brother was a miser, could even be much cheaper :) )

I was hoping to enhance my Movie watching experience significantly with a new purchase. The difficulty is I am not sure if a very good quality 2 speakers with a center would be a better choice over a typical Home theatre in a box (sony etc) available in the market.

I want to buy the cheapest system that can give me a spectacular (significant) improvement in experience over existing setup. This is what creates the problem. Would a pair of B&W 683 speakers (2L) with some thing for a center and sub (90K), Onkyo 805 AMP (60k?) (total 3.5L) be better than
a) Bose Life style 48 (2.6L)
b) B&W MT 30 with Onkyo 805 (2L)
c) B&W 685 theatre set with onkyo 806 (2.5L)

options a,b,c are 5.1 surround setups while the 683 is not. Would better front speakers make for superior experience by themselves over a lower quality but surround setup (B&W MT 30?).

While I could blow 3-4L (painfully) I don't have to go spend it. I will go that far only if I cannot find a good enough system at lower price. With this in mind I have been trying to test out the off the shelf Home in Theatre systems.

Would a MT-30 or Bose Lifestyle be significantly better than Sony Muteki STRK 5000 or Onkyo &.1 HT S5100 (both around 40-50k)?

The retail stores where I found them had no A/V room. (Reliance, Jumbo)

A few places with AV rooms (Sony) are very small and bare (glass doors, cement walls,ceilings and floor, no cushioning). It has lead me to wonder if the sound of off the shelf systems would be better than what I heard in stores. These systems have 5 star ratings at various internet reviews (whathifi.com etc)

I am in a fix, would 1.5L more be worth spending getting mt30 or bose etc over sonny?

Do I have other smarter choices?

About me - I have no idea about sound systems. Left home with the expectation of picking a Home theater system from my nearest retail and expected it to blow me away. Found most stores not prepared to give me a 'taste', where I could review the setup was poor or only one-mid range system installed.

Unhappy I am exploring component based setups. With no idea about this stuff, it seems complicated and expensive. I am wondering if I would be better off just picking up a simple 3:1 system and dump the whole exercise. After all why spend even 50k more if the experience wouldn't be a substantial jump over what I have heard so far.

In short, should I spend, if so on what and why.
(pls: I will use it for mainly TV - movies and sport, DVDs, very limited usage for music - Bollywood songs)

Bro

Welcome to the forum buddy...

Bro, now you are moving towards the HT segment, from the Music System segment...
In this case as psyco said, kill the Bose out of your mind...its a high end music system nothing else...

Secondly what you need to kill is, the stores like Reliance, Tata, etc...

When you are getting into HT then consider the professional players...
Yes B&W is something good, but it feels the price pinch...
But yes the same place Rotel does a damn good job, but its highly professional amps...

Now, as you have a nice budget, you need to consider a lot many things before shelling out money...

Now please let us know the following :
1). Is your L Shape complete room equal.
Please get me the Length x Breadth, of Room Horizontal and Room
Vertical.
Because all this will matter a lot, as the setup will only be there either
way.
2). Ceiling Height
3). Your Use of HT (more of Music or Movie) the ratio.
4). Room Details.

All these details will help us a lot, to help you further.

Thank you for your response.

psychotropic-
A friend is suggesting I go with nothing less than 875 in Onkyo as it has the Reon Video processing chip. Whatever that is, is it that good or important to shelve an extra 70k!?

mridulgoel-
I don't have the exact measurements with me (can find out in a day or two).

Here is the room size -

it is an inverted L
with the lower (horizontal) leg running left to right and the vertical leg attached to the right edge.

the horizontal leg is 12ft high and 15 feet wide. The vertical leg is 15 ft high and 15 ft wide. (total width of the room at its widest - where both the legs meet is 30 feet.)

Hope this isn't too confusing!

Last edited:
Here is the room size -

it is an inverted L
with the lower (horizontal) leg running left to right and the vertical leg attached to the right edge.

the horizontal leg is 12ft high and 15 feet wide. The vertical leg is 15 ft high and 15 ft wide. (total width of the room at its widest - where both the legs meet is 30 feet.)

Hope this isn't too confusing!

Bro

Thats not confusing...but thats not clear either...
As you have not stated which side you gonna use for your HT...
15x15 or 15x12...???

Anyways, your room size looks fine enough...
But, again, the HT side would contain what all...???
Now, will there be any partition for the HT room, or will that be used as a living room...only...

And bro you have not even told your preferences..Is it more in for movies or music...???

We need the inputs, in order to provide you a nice solutions...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back