Need Info on Panasonic Plasma + Home Theater Offer Validity

Also arnprasad is watching picture on slightly large screen. At closer distances, SD artifacts will be more apparent. It is also possible that arnprasad has some "image retention" in his mind about the pic quality on LED (please excuse the pun, prasad; hope you don't mind).

Here are few pointers on my comments:

(1) My comments are pure laymanish..if such word exists
(2) I agree with MrKix - when you dont have anything u always romanticize about it
(3) What is noticed is pure out of the box picture. Plus my XT does not really have too many settings to tweak into
(4) I think my LCD even with 50-60% settings on contrast, brightness and color beats a Plasma at 80-90% settings - this may be how Plasma works - but during first views it does appear very dull
(5) Not sure if after 100-200 hours things start to improve on a plasma - I am hoping it does - atleast my eyes will get "used" to the Plasma image
(6) One advantage for Plasma I did notice - when I watch HD content - at long distances it looks good on any screen, but when I was within 1 foot on the Plasma - I didnt notice any pixellation - it looked perfect. I can say for sure - even BD content on my LCD at one foot distance looked pixellated - not sure if this because of 720p plasma vs 1080p LCD that I have - but full marks to Plasma on this one
(7) When I was watching recorded Two and a Half men in HD - I did notice that when a character moved in front of a window during daytime - something definitely was not right on the screen - not sure if I can call it a flicker - but there was some thing unnatural - never experienced it on my LCD before.

Again to ensure no burn in and no image retention - all my settings are running at 0-30 and hence I am watching a dull, almost black and white images on my TV - after few days - when I bump up the settings I am sure it will look good.:clapping:

Here are few pointers on my comments:

(1) My comments are pure laymanish..if such word exists
(2) I agree with MrKix - when you dont have anything u always romanticize about it
(3) What is noticed is pure out of the box picture. Plus my XT does not really have too many settings to tweak into
(4) I think my LCD even with 50-60% settings on contrast, brightness and color beats a Plasma at 80-90% settings - this may be how Plasma works - but during first views it does appear very dull
(5) Not sure if after 100-200 hours things start to improve on a plasma - I am hoping it does - atleast my eyes will get "used" to the Plasma image
(6) One advantage for Plasma I did notice - when I watch HD content - at long distances it looks good on any screen, but when I was within 1 foot on the Plasma - I didnt notice any pixellation - it looked perfect. I can say for sure - even BD content on my LCD at one foot distance looked pixellated - not sure if this because of 720p plasma vs 1080p LCD that I have - but full marks to Plasma on this one
(7) When I was watching recorded Two and a Half men in HD - I did notice that when a character moved in front of a window during daytime - something definitely was not right on the screen - not sure if I can call it a flicker - but there was some thing unnatural - never experienced it on my LCD before.

Again to ensure no burn in and no image retention - all my settings are running at 0-30 and hence I am watching a dull, almost black and white images on my TV - after few days - when I bump up the settings I am sure it will look good.:clapping:

Hi, if I may ask where do you watch your plasma? Is the room bright with lot of reflection? In a bright room plasma will definitely look dull and washed out while LED/LCD would not. Plasma is more suited for low ambient setting while LCD/LED for brighter rooms.
I know its a good idea to run a plasma tv at low settings to prevent image retention but when I got my 50V20, I did nothing of that sort and its been almost 2 years now and works fine. I remember asking the Panasonic guys at the store and they said the earlier models would have the problem but with the newer ones it is not so.............however always advisable to run the settings low.

I think one thing is missing here. Let me try to fill the gap.
Guys please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't agree. Today I had gone to Brandshop and watched the SD content on both XT plasma and some new LED TV. I haven't noticed any dissimilarity between them excluding its own inherent basic properties.

@manish1283... the tv you've watched (i guess TH-P42XT50D) is NOT a Full HD tv. Its resolution is 1,024 (W) X 768 (H). So viewing SD content will be just perfect. But in case of UT30/UT50/ST30/ST50 or higher the same SD content will pixelarate.

What was the screen size - 42"?

@rajatk..... regardless the size of the screen, SD content in 768p TV will look fine I guess.

One thing I missed... In all above situations, proper viewing distance should be maintained as suggested by experts.

Last edited:
@rajatk..... regardless the size of the screen, SD content in 768p TV will look fine I guess.

That might be the case, however amprasad has just bought 50XT50 (HD ready 768p) and has mentioned that viewing SD content is not upto the mark however HD works fine..so it might be a Plasma issue or a size issue rather than a HD/FHD thing... also almost every salesperson told me to buy FHD if I am going for 50" plasma for better viewing experience (SD/HD Content)...

Is anyone aware of the model no. Of the ht system being offered with the television? And is that an all India offer?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Is anyone aware of the model no. Of the ht system being offered with the television? And is that an all India offer?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like you have posted the same query in multiple threads - anyways its HX-170 MRP approx 16-17K.

There is no such thing as 768p. The TV of resolution 1366x768 is still 720p.

SD on 50" will look better from a longer distance. The closer you are, the worse it will be. Resolution alone cannot make any difference - whether plasma or LCD. There are other factors such as colour saturation, panel brightness, etc. that will affect the perception. I find SD very fine in my ST50. However, cable/DTH looks better on LED.

The simple test would be to create a picture of 704x576 pixels (SD resolution in India - PAL standard). Divide the picture in 10 vertical bands and colour each band with White-Violet-Indigo-Blue-Green-Yellow-Orange-Red-Black. Copy this picture to SD card and display the picture on TV.

I find SD very fine in my ST50. However, cable/DTH looks better on LED.

Are you sure about this buddy?

The simple test would be to create a picture of 704x576 pixels (SD resolution in India - PAL standard). Divide the picture in 10 vertical bands and colour each band with White-Violet-Indigo-Blue-Green-Yellow-Orange-Red-Black. Copy this picture to SD card and display the picture on TV.

How do we create a picture of 704x576 pixels?

Hi,

This offer is only for Panasonic 2012 plasmas or all Plasmas? because just now (2 weeks back) I purchased P42ST30 from croma.

Hi,

This offer is only for Panasonic 2012 plasmas or all Plasmas? because just now (2 weeks back) I purchased P42ST30 from croma.

I visited croma yesterday , they told me its only for new models . . They said its not available for 42st30d .

btw how much did u buy P42st30d for ?

Although Rajat has officially ruled out my TV from the HT offer....just wondering how does the HT offer work? the dealer while selling the TV gives you a chit or some paper which confirms you will get one?

or since the dealer informs panasonic about the installation, its then the panasonic will make note of the purchase and send you the HT?

just wondering about the workflow here and still having a faint hope that I too will get one for my TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

Anybody has any idea of the pricing for 42 inches UT50 and ST50....have they been released...i had a chat with the panasonic dealer in GIP mall Noida...he had no idea abt the release date or the pricing...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back