Need Info on Panasonic Plasma + Home Theater Offer Validity

Hello All,

I am on verge of finalizing Panny 50UT50 thanks to this forum & need an opinion about closing the deal. I am getting the above model here at Panvel, navi-mumbai for Rs.81,900 open to negotiation for few more grands along with panny offer of free HT & also I am getting 2 3D glasses & a wall mount+stand covered under this cost. Is it a fair deal?

Hello All,

I am on verge of finalizing Panny 50UT50 thanks to this forum & need an opinion about closing the deal. I am getting the above model here at Panvel, navi-mumbai for Rs.81,900 open to negotiation for few more grands along with panny offer of free HT & also I am getting 2 3D glasses & a wall mount+stand covered under this cost. Is it a fair deal?

Great - I have also decided for 50UT50 and would be soon placing the order... I was quoted 76-78K by most dealers here up north... 3D Glasses, Wall Mount, Stand etc and part of the box and the new HT scheme is applicable for this model as well.

Great - I have also decided for 50UT50 and would be soon placing the order... I was quoted 76-78K by most dealers here up north... 3D Glasses, Wall Mount, Stand etc and part of the box and the new HT scheme is applicable for this model as well.

Hi rajatk,
Can you please share your opinions why you choose 50UT50 over 50XT50 .
Any particular reason apart from FHD and HD ready. Any major difference in PQ, black level, SD picture quality etc when u took demo.

Also I have read that SD quality in HD ready is better than FHD (or it depends on screen size, i.e : SD quality is better in 42 incher than 50 incher). Please throw some light on this

Thanks,
Myzus

Hi rajatk,
Any particular reason apart from FHD and HD ready. Any major difference in PQ, black level, SD picture quality etc when u took demo.

Also I have read that SD quality in HD ready is better than FHD (or it depends on screen size, i.e : SD quality is better in 42 incher than 50 incher). Please throw some light on this

Thanks,
Myzus

Lets look at both panels :

Native Resolution : 720p HD Ready
Native Resolution : 1080p Full HD

When SD is viewed on a 1080p panel : it upconverts to its native resolution i.e. going from 576p to 1080p. This upconversion is dependant on the video processor of the tv. Hi end tv's do a better job of upconversion than entry level tv's. The greater the upconversion, greater deterioration in the SD signal.

When SD is viewed on a 720p panel : it upconverts to its native resolution i.e. going from 576p to 720p. There is less upconversion and hence SD signal looks better on the tv.

However, Full HD tv's will look better with 1080p video content which is only available on blurays. Therefore for regular SD cable and HD channels, a 720p panel is more than sufficient.

black levels, contrast, etc...........will be almost the same for X/XT/UT. It will however differ for the other series i.e. ST, GT, VT since they have a different neo pdp panel with infinite black pro.

Hi rajatk,

Thanks,
Myzus

Hi Myzus,

I myself was also with this dilemma bw 50XT50 & 50UT50 for long before taking the plunge (well almost - I can still opt for XT50)... anyways here is my reasoning for UT over XT and it might / might not apply for everyone.. also note that this is how I felt after watching 20+ plasmas (42"/43",50"/50") of LG, Samsung and Panasonics over 3 weeks or so as well reading reviews/feedbacks & suggestions from friends...

In various showrooms, I saw 42X50, 42XT50, 42UT30 & even 42ST30 and they all looked very good for regular viewing... HD was awesome & SD was good too, finally saw 50UT50 also with a dealer... However I could never find a 50XT50 for demo.. btw overall I felt SD looked better on 42" as compared to 50" (this is true for all LG, Samsungs & Panasonics I saw)...

1. HD Channels quality - HD ready is good enough for 1080i channels that we get but they still look slightly (only slightly) better in FHD & it just makes you more future secure in terms of more channels expected to come on HD in 1-2 yrs though 1080p transmission might take long to come.
2. SD Channels quality - Although people do mention that SD channels look better on HD Ready TV but I didnt really feel any difference between HD or FHD while watching them. Again it is very subjective but SD always looked better on a 42" screen and there was not much difference of PQ bw HD or FHD Plasmas....
3. Full HD content / Blue Ray Discs - I am not much into them as of now but that is surely the way content of future will be - hence a FHD will be able to exploit it to the max...
4. 2500 Hz Focused Field Drive vs 600 Hz sub-field drive - is supposed to make motion / frames switching smoother and less jarring etc especially while watching sports... again very subjective.
5. Fast Switching Phosphor - only available with UT50. As per Panasonic website - :The use of a new fast switching phosphor has significantly reduced the afterglow time. The emission time and process have also been improved to minimize mutual interference of the frames for the left- and right-eye images to greatly reduce crosstalk. The resulting 3D images are incredibly clear."
5. Bigger Screen Size (50"+) - All the dealer salesmen / friends recommended going for FHD rather than HD Ready since screen size is large.. this is laymanish and more of suggestions from experienced people...
6. Value for money (HT offer) - Now the difference between XT50 & UT50 is 15-17K for all the above add-ons plus the fact that HT offer is only there on 50UT50 (and not 50XT50) made the deal all the more sweet...
7. Personal Bias - I was somewhat biased for FHD & also wanted to go for the best TV I could get in my budget (65-70K) and UT50 was just above this range... although the price being quoted here is 76-77K but I might just get it for approx 70K because of local contacts... Similarly XT50 which is being quoted for 61-62K here should cost me 56K approx..

BTW amprasad has got 50XT50 from Metro bangalore for 50K (without 3d glasses) which I think is an awesome deal - unfortunately it was not available here else (2 3D glasses are packed with TV box) so it made the 50UT50 decision easier for me.. in case you go for XT50, please do check for the same..

To ArunPrasad ...

... However I could never find a 50XT50 for demo.. btw overall I felt SD looked better on 42" as compared to 50" (this is true for all LG, Samsungs & Panasonics I saw)...
Definitely. The smaller the screen, the better SD will look regardless whether the TV is non-HD (CRT) HD-Ready or Full-HD. For SD, CRT is best and 21" is the best size. Then comes 29" CRT, 32" LCD/LED, 42", 50" and so on.

1. HD Channels quaity - HD ready is good enough for 1080i channels that we get but they still look slightly (only slightly) better in FHD & it just makes you more future secure in terms of more channels expected to come on HD in 1-2 yrs though 1080p transmission might take long to come.
1080p will take twice as much bandwidth and 1080p TV is still some way off in US/Europe. So I guess, it will take longer in India.

2. SD Channels quality - Although people do mention that SD channels look better on HD Ready TV but I didnt really feel any difference between HD or FHD while watching them. Again it is very subjective but SD always looked better on a 42" screen and there was not much difference of PQ bw HD or FHD Plasmas....
As said earlier, the smaller the TV, the sharper and crisper the picture it will be.

4. 2500 Hz Focused Field Drive vs 600 Hz sub-field drive - is supposed to make motion / frames switching smoother and less jarring etc especially while watching sports... again very subjective.
For normal TV, this will not make much difference.

5. Bigger Screen Size (50"+) - All the dealer salesmen / friends recommended going for FHD rather than HD Ready since screen size is large.. this is laymanish and more of suggestions from experienced people...
This decision should be taken in a different way IMHO.

First of all, fix the budget and then do not waver on it. Try to stretch it as much as you can but that is before going to the showroom. Big will always look better. One two-bedroom flat is better than one-bedroom flat and so on. That does not mean we blow our hard earned money and put it into the pockets of manufacturers, dealers and salesmen. Once budget is decided stick to it no matter how great the temptation. My own budget was around 1 lakh. I was very tempted by 50GT50 (123K). But then I took some deep breaths to recover from hyperventilation and temporary insanity.

Second, decide the specs. No need to pay money for useless specs and features that will not bring any additional benefit. If HD-Ready is doing the job for you, no need to go for FHD.

Now that budget and specs are decided, try to go for the maximum size within these parameters. But also take into account the viewing distance. If it is 8 feet or less, go for 42" else one can think of 46", 50", etc.

6. Value for money (HT offer) - Now the difference between XT50 & UT50 is 15-17K for all the above add-ons plus the fact that HT offer is only there on 50UT50 (and not 50XT50) made the deal all the more sweet...
Yes. It is nice and all that. But in my opinion, Samsung's 3D BDP offer is better. The Panasonic HT is neither here nor there. I suspect that this offer is to get rid of unsold stock and at the same time boost sales.

BTW amprasad has got 50XT50 from Metro bangalore for 50K (without 3d glasses) which I think is an awesome deal - unfortunately it was not available here else (2 3D glasses are packed with TV box) so it made the 50UT50 decision easier for me.. in case you go for XT50, please do check for the same..
Me too. I think that it was a killer deal. arnprasad called me that day (night). If I remember correctly it was nearly 9 pm. At 10 pm, I received the message that he had done the deal. 3D glasses are nothing to speak of. We can always buy the universal 3D glasses at half the Panasonic cost from someone/somewhere else.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back