Need input on 42/46/47" LCD or Plasma TV

Thanks for the inputs you all have given so far.
To "adder" - as I mentioned while narrating my experience with Samsung service, I was not pissed off because of the delay in getting the panel (for replacement), I was upset with the false promise they made only to buy time - in effect it took them more than 2 months to give me a quote for the panel replacement while they created stories after stories. You seem to have missed that point completely while trying to 'defend' Samsung.
And you are right, I wrongly mentioned about LAxxA5xx to be better than LAxxB5xx, I actually meant LAxxB6xx to be better than LAxxB5xx and was upset with the fact that Samsung dealers were not keeping any stock of that model and was forcing prospective buyers to consider only LAxxB5xx or the UAxxB6xxx models.

Now coming back to the inputs, here is my summary:
1. For a large screen (>42"), plasma is a better option. Pana V10 seems to be one of the best choice.
2. LG's LH90 (especially 47") looks like a great VFM model, but one can't be 100% sure about its reliability and currently it is difficult to get one in showrooms.
3. Sony W series models are also good ones to consider.
4. Modern World (Airport road) and Reliance Digital (Cunnigham road) are good places to look out for all the good LCD/Plasma models.

Personally, although I agree with #1 and will surely check out the V10 series, I may not buy this or any other Panasonic plasma, becuase:
a) I think it is beyond my budget (I think it is > 1.1 L), though I am actually willing to stretch it for a really superior model.
b) The power consumption (530 W) is a problem. I live in a apt complex with DG backup, but the backup is limited (500 W) and power-cuts do happen in Bangalore/our area. Having a TV that would consume more than 500 W all by istelf means I would not be able to watch anything on it when I am running on DG power. Even the 42" G10 model of Panasonic needs 445 W to run. In comparison, I think most 42/47" LCD TVs would run on < 200 W, which suits me very well.

I will anyway wait till the new year before I finalize anything, but for now I think my choices are:
LG's LH90 47" - if it is available Or LG's LH95 42" - if it is within my budget and is available by 1st week of Jan
Sony W series 46" or X series 40" - if budget permits - Need inputs on the price and specific models to look for, if any of you know
Samsung's LA46B650/ UA46B6000VR - if budget permits - Need inputs on the price
Or, if none of the above clicks, settle for - LG's Jazz 42" or Scarlet 47" 0r LH50 47". Can anyone tell me if Scarlet is really a better model than LH50?

well what i mean is it could happen with any company,days of repairing a tv are gone with demise of crts in flat panels displays its mostly use and throw.

well i think u should wait for new year offers,since samsung is know to give hefty discounts along with freebies.you could ask for the service manager to arrange for the 46B650A,thats the least they could do for the trouble they caused you.since the B650A is hard to find,its however a excellent choice.

well what i mean is it could happen with any company,days of repairing a tv are gone with demise of crts in flat panels displays its mostly use and throw.

well i think u should wait for new year offers,since samsung is know to give hefty discounts along with freebies.you could ask for the service manager to arrange for the 46B650A,thats the least they could do for the trouble they caused you.since the B650A is hard to find,its however a excellent choice.

Hi,

I have a separate question: A lot is being talked about HD-Ready and Full-HD TVs - with their costs being quite different.
Do we really require a Full-HD TV?
If yes, do we get Full-HD sources such as Blu-ray easily? or in our members' feel, in how many year(s) can we expect Full-HD to be common, as DVDs - though I would say, 6/10 of the DVDs do not have a "real" good picture quality - Originals.

Please suggest.

thanks,

Nitin.

Hi,

I have a separate question: A lot is being talked about HD-Ready and Full-HD TVs - with their costs being quite different.
If yes, do we get Full-HD sources such as Blu-ray easily? or in our members' feel, in how many year(s) can we expect Full-HD to be common, as DVDs - though I would say, 6/10 of the DVDs do not have a "real" good picture quality - Originals.

Please suggest.

thanks,

Nitin.

Hi,

It' really quite simple.

If you are sitting far from a small TV - HD-ready is fine

If you are sitting near to a big TV - Full HD is required.

Now, the only thing left is to define big, small, far and near.

Well, anything further than 8 feet from a 42" TV, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between HD Ready and Full HD. Therefore, more than 8 feet viewing distance, and 42" or smaller TV, HD-Ready is OK.

For other distance and TV size combinations, you can do the math (ratio/proportion etc.) and come to your own conclusions. And of course, seeing is believing, so check it out in a store or at a friends place.

And yes, most HD-ready TVs will be able to play back a Full HD signal when it becomes available in the future. And vice-versa. So perhaps the only parameters required for decision making are distance and size, and of course, price.

All the best.

Hi,

Please suggest.

thanks,

Nitin.

well these days in most of the lcds in 40" and upwards u only get FHD tv,its only in plasma u get HD ready tv.lcds IMO will surpass the plasma in VFM next year in 40/42" segment.currently a samsung 40" FHD lcd cost about 47k to 50k,where as 42" HD ready samsung plasma cost about 40 to 44k.
u can find 1080p blu ray movies,the question is can u afford it.
it will take about 2 years more for it to become affordable.
offcourse u can also download them both legally and illegally.

whether one can spot the difference in HD and FHD it varies,i for one can easily spot the difference on a 40" sized tv and with 6 feet or lower can spot the difference in 32" lcd.

Last edited:
Now coming back to the inputs, here is my summary:
1. For a large screen (>42"), plasma is a better option. Pana V10 seems to be one of the best choice.
2. LG's LH90 (especially 47") looks like a great VFM model, but one can't be 100% sure about its reliability and currently it is difficult to get one in showrooms.
3. Sony W series models are also good ones to consider.
4. Modern World (Airport road) and Reliance Digital (Cunnigham road) are good places to look out for all the good LCD/Plasma models.

Personally, although I agree with #1 and will surely check out the V10 series, I may not buy this or any other Panasonic plasma, becuase:
a) I think it is beyond my budget (I think it is > 1.1 L), though I am actually willing to stretch it for a really superior model.
b) The power consumption (530 W) is a problem. I live in a apt complex with DG backup, but the backup is limited (500 W) and power-cuts do happen in Bangalore/our area. Having a TV that would consume more than 500 W all by istelf means I would not be able to watch anything on it when I am running on DG power. Even the 42" G10 model of Panasonic needs 445 W to run. In comparison, I think most 42/47" LCD TVs would run on < 200 W, which suits me very well.

I will anyway wait till the new year before I finalize anything, but for now I think my choices are:
LG's LH90 47" - if it is available Or LG's LH95 42" - if it is within my budget and is available by 1st week of Jan
Sony W series 46" or X series 40" - if budget permits - Need inputs on the price and specific models to look for, if any of you know
Samsung's LA46B650/ UA46B6000VR - if budget permits - Need inputs on the price
Or, if none of the above clicks, settle for - LG's Jazz 42" or Scarlet 47" 0r LH50 47". Can anyone tell me if Scarlet is really a better model than LH50?

-- Guys, any specific inputs on my observations/questions/clarifications?
On the power consumption point, I figured that 46/47" LCDs consume aywhere between 250 & 325 W & not <200 W as I mentioned earlier. Even than, they appear much better suited for my home environment.

-- Guys, any specific inputs on my observations/questions/clarifications?
On the power consumption point, I figured that 46/47" LCDs consume aywhere between 250 & 325 W & not <200 W as I mentioned earlier. Even than, they appear much better suited for my home environment.

lcd manfacture always put the MAX power consumption which is when u crank the backlight & volume to full and if all the USB ports are occupied.

lcd manfacture always put the MAX power consumption which is when u crank the backlight & volume to full and if all the USB ports are occupied.

Exactly and no one can watch TV with these settings for long unless you are totally sloshed......hence the avg power consumption will always be lower..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back