Need Inputs for a New Home Theater.

Glolla

Hello All,

Previously with your help I bought a home theater and I had a very memorable experiance with it(philips HTS3373). Now we are shifting to a new house our own house and need ur help to buy a new home theater. Below are the details of my budget and etc..

Room Size : 20ft * 14ft (big room)
Budget: 20 - 30k
and I use it 50%movies and 50%music..

my old system was taken away by my frnd and its production is stoped.. Please Please suggest. waiting for ur replies...

1.onkyo 3300 and media player can only fit...but not great for music.
Or you have othesources??
You want hi def audio decoding?
What source you are going to use??

20-30K might not be enough for a decent setup in your big room... Any scope for increasing the budget?

Yes, if you can suggest me a system which can give best value for money i spend i can increase the budget. please suggest how much more I have to afford.

1.onkyo 3300 and media player can only fit...but not great for music.
Or you have othesources??
You want hi def audio decoding?
What source you are going to use??

basically i want to use the system with a good dvd player... and yes if its good to have HD audio decoding i require that.. please suggest.. I am not having good knowledge on audio products.. but I require system which gives a good music to my ears. I have gone through several posts but I am not able to find the system which would suit to my room size.. its the basic concern.. your help is valuable for me..

Hello,

Even i am looking for an Onkyo HTIB. I have seen HTS5300 (priced for 52k) & the sound was massive. However the Front/Center speakers are too big & would not look good in my room. I have gone through HTS6300 & quite liked it but it is a US model. Any ideas about when it would be released in india/mumbai or whether it could be made available. Or any custom setup with a AVR supporting HDMI1.4a & 5.1 speakers package with an Active Subwoofer

All comments would be welcome...

I think you have to spend 50 K minimum to get a good hifi Home theater.
You can go for DENON/ ONKYO amplifier with 80 to 100 watts RMS per channel power.More than 100watts doesnt make sense for your room size.
Will cost you around : 15k t0 20k.(ONKYO is cheaper than DENON ). ONKYO AMP works well for Movies and, DENON works well for music.

And Get paradigm or Wharfedale entry level speakers. around 25k to 30 k.

These are the ways you can reduce cost.
1.If you have anybody stayin abroad ask them to get AMPlifier and if possible speakers also.You can buy the above setup with your budget of 30k.

2.Look for used AMPS. Get new Front /center /Subwoofer speakers. And look for used surround speakers. Front/Center speakers are more important than surround speakers in setup.With this you might be able to get the system with your budget.

3.Wait for years till the prices to come down in your budget ... :lol:.. LOL ..

Last edited:
You can go for DENON/ ONKYO amplifier with 80 to 100 watts RMS per channel power.More than 100watts doesnt make sense for your room size.
Will cost you around : 15k t0 20k.(ONKYO is cheaper than DENON ). ONKYO AMP works well for Movies and, DENON works well for music.

1.If you have anybody stayin abroad ask them to get AMPlifier and if possible speakers also.You can buy the above setup with your budget of 30k.

2.Look for used AMPS. Get new Front /center /Subwoofer speakers. And look for used surround speakers. Front/Center speakers are more important than surround speakers in setup.With this you might be able to get the system with your budget.

Thanks for your inputs... my cousins stay abroad... ik will try to get info from them

Hi edjamesx,

I have contacted my cousins and they say, to bring the system involves lot of risk and process.. Could please suggest how wold be "philips HTS5550/94" -- "http://www.philips.co.in/c/home-theater-systems/immersive-sound-3d-angled-speakers-hdmi-1080p-hts5550_94/prd/". can this fill my requirement as it is quoted around 26,000. Any inputs on this product.

Hellp folks,
I am new here, so dont know much about the home theatre configuration. Recently I've booked an Onkyo HTS 3300. Now, the thing is as I dont have a hd Bluray/dvd player, so I'll be using my Dell inspiron 1525 to play the HD movies with DTS MA. I want to decode that dts-ma in the receiver/amplifier and not in the my laptop.( I guess this is called bitstreaming). So, please help me to know what settings should I do in my player(vlc/gom/media player classic) or sound card (sigmatel-supports hdmi), such that the decoding of the true-hd/dts-ma is done in the receiver only and that 'dts-ma light' is flashed in the receiver?

I am not too sure about this.
I guess first you will have to figure out if your Laptop can handle HD audio. Just having HDMI output doesn't suffice, I think.

The players that you have mentioned I know work for DTS/DD passthrough by a simple toggle in their settings, but not sure about HD audio.

Can any one please suggest how wold be "philips HTS5550/94" -- "http://www.philips.co.in/c/home-theater-systems/immersive-sound-3d-angled-speakers-hdmi-1080p-hts5550_94/prd/". would fill my requirement as it is quoted around 26,000. Any inputs on this product.

Bought the onkyo 3300 today. Price--23.5k (including complete installation, wall mounting etc). I got it at onkyo wonderland, CR park, New delhi. I first auditioned rhe system there and it sounded good to my ears. But when I tried to connect my dell studio 15 via hdmi to the system i couldn't get any audio from the system. They tried various hdmi wires and even pulled out a complete new avr piece for this but no luck!!! The audio just didn't come. But when the sales guy hooked my laptop to the onkyo-5300 audio came instantly. They were stumped(including me!!) They had no idea why was this happening!!
Anyways I bought the system and quickly connected it on my own(just the front and center speakers) to get a 3.1 config and connected my TS HD to it. The results are pretty good. But I am yet to test my laptop with it and I don't have a dvd/bd player as of now. So I guess I will spend today(and the night) tinkering with the various settings and trying to get my laptop work on it. Will post a brief noob review as soon as I get it completely installed(the installation guys will come on wednesday)

Hello All,

Previously with your help I bought a home theater and I had a very memorable experiance with it(philips HTS3373). Now we are shifting to a new house our own house and need ur help to buy a new home theater. Below are the details of my budget and etc..

my old system was taken away by my frnd and its production is stoped.. Please Please suggest. waiting for ur replies...

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me out on this,

I have started the thread and it was moving to different side.. help me whether "philips HTS5550/94" -- "http://www.philips.co.in/c/home-theater-systems/immersive-sound-3d-angled-speakers-hdmi-1080p-hts5550_94/prd/". will fill my requirement as it is quoted around 26,000. Any inputs on this product.

please suggest

Did you buy the Philips? How is it?
M planning to buy the same 5550. Music is my priority. Any feedback would be great! :)

make sure u buy a pair of stnds for ur system. home theatre might seem incomplete without speaker stands. once u mount the speakers on the stands and see the difference, you will never want to experience it without the stands.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back