Need Media Streamer with 4K & Atmos Capability

bpranay

Hello All,

I am looking for a media player with 4K & atmos capability. I currently have amazon firestick but it does not recognize DTS-HD. I do not require atmos as of now but to be futureproof, I want the player to be able to handle atmos. My current requirement is for DTS-HD and 4K. I have lot of media files with me which I would like to play and most of them are in DTS-HD. Firestick can't handle DTS. And if I play my files by directly attaching the HDD to my TV and take the sound through ARC, it doesn't go beyond DTS. Hence I am frustrated. I was happy when I got firestick and thought that it'll be able to handle all but to my despair.

I tried plex server as well but it's too slow and keeps stuttering and is a frustrating experience. I have old popbox V8 media player which I had bought in 2013 which has DTS-HD pass through but problem is

1. it doesn't recognize certain new video codecs so can not expect 4K from it.
2. I can not do anything about it's GUI, kodi installation is impossible.
3. It used to work fine but off late at some point the video is blank and i get only sound.

I do not want to spend on nvidia shield as of now. I am looking in the range of 5-7K. I have taken a look at Mi Box too but not sure about it's atmos handling and HDD playback.

I kindly request you to suggest me suitable media player.

Thanks & Regards

I am looking in the range of 5-7K. I have taken a look at Mi Box too but not sure about it's atmos handling and HDD playback.

My brother owns the Xiaomi Mi box 3, and i have connected 1.5TB to it and it can comfortably play FHD videos and bitstream Atmos to AVR..

Audio wise, it will play BR Rips effortlessly.. You can install amazon prime and it can do multi-channel out too to AVR.. Netflix no idea, so haven't checked.. But that should also be possible..

Am not aware of 4K terms, please check some youtube videos and get other members suggestion on its 4K capability before you decide to buy..

My brother owns the Xiaomi Mi box 3, and i have connected 1.5TB to it and it can comfortably play FHD videos and bitstream Atmos to AVR..

Audio wise, it will play BR Rips effortlessly.. You can install amazon prime and it can do multi-channel out too to AVR.. Netflix no idea, so haven't checked.. But that should also be possible..

Am not aware of 4K terms, please check some youtube videos and get other members suggestion on its 4K capability before you decide to buy..

I second that, I use my 4tb hdd with it and works fine. I dont have Atmos receiver so can`t confirm but both Prime video and Netflix work on it with HDR/4K... Only constraint is buying and its internal memory available.

I second that, I use my 4tb hdd with it and works fine. I dont have Atmos receiver so can`t confirm but both Prime video and Netflix work on it with HDR/4K... Only constraint is buying and its internal memory available.

Does it allow DTS-HDMA & TruHD passthrough? I mainly have requirement for this with 4K. Any idea? Trying to find out the one with DTS-HDMA passthrough android box but not able to get the concrete picture. Some says X96 & s95 amlogic are cheap chinese items and are not worth it and on the other hand some says they are worth, but not able to get whether they would fulfill my requirement or not.

I can go for Mi Box. In some forum it was mentioned that Mibox S is latest one and has all the features.

there are so many of those cheap boxes all with random names & with varying quality. this is a quick guide to install CE/LE on them

if all you want is local playback of DTS-HDMA & TruHD passthrough with 4k HDR then yes all those s905w/905x/s912 amlogic with CE/LE booted from a sd card will do (check that above link coz some of the newer amlogic chips like 905x2 etc arent supported by CE/LE last i checked)

if you dont want to risk that then only option is to go for the 10k+ media players

rest all qs are answered in that link i gave above, its very detailed & answers all qs better than i can

Last edited:
Does it allow DTS-HDMA & TruHD passthrough? I mainly have requirement for this with 4K. Any idea? Trying to find out the one with DTS-HDMA passthrough android box but not able to get the concrete picture. Some says X96 & s95 amlogic are cheap chinese items and are not worth it and on the other hand some says they are worth, but not able to get whether they would fulfill my requirement or not.

I can go for Mi Box. In some forum it was mentioned that Mibox S is latest one and has all the features.

I see DTS-HDMA on my yamaha yht 299, need to see file with TruHD to confirm.

I am planning for a cubetek 4k portable box which supports all the formats I need but I am not sure about the atmos. I do not need atmos as of now but considering my AVR upgradation in near future. Please share your thoughts.

Any thoughts on Airtel Xstream Box? It comes pre-loaded with Airtel Xstream app which I suppose you are not able to download on other android boxes.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back