Need some suggestions for NAS

If you are looking for something in the budget, TrueNas on Intel NUC, and you have got yourself an enterprise-grade solution.

I am also looking into adding a NAS setup. Initially I explored a few RPi solutions such as OMV. Right now I'm more inclined towards a one stop solution from Synology. Can someone explain to me the benefits of choosing DS220+ over something cheaper like the DS220j if I am not looking into video transcoding?

Thanks guys.
After checking the NUC/Intel and RPi systems, I feel I should go for a Synology or QNAP system.

I am also looking into adding a NAS setup. Initially I explored a few RPi solutions such as OMV. Right now I'm more inclined towards a one stop solution from Synology. Can someone explain to me the benefits of choosing DS220+ over something cheaper like the DS220j if I am not looking into video transcoding?
I think 220J should be good enough if video trancoding is not needed.
I read 220J runs their latest DS7 OS pretty well (better than the DS6.x).

Are you still running it? How is the performance?
Which version of Synology DS does it have?
Not being used anymore. Looks like DSM 6.2.4 is the version its last supported version for x12 series. DSM 7 was released just couple of months back, so 6.2.4 will still get security updates for some more time.

If you are looking to use a NAS as simple file server & back up, 212 should be good enough. It does some level of transcoding but I never used it for the purpose. I use it for file storage, syncing phones & laptops, local/home cloud & music server. Photo & video storage. I have upgraded to 218+, it was a impulse buy nothing lacking in 212 for my purpose.

I have a QNAP NAS. Very happy with the performance, stability and features.

My earlier NAS was Buffalo, and that was really slow.

Thisis what I have :

I guess old model now.

Check out their current models
Thank you!

Not being used anymore. Looks like DSM 6.2.4 is the version its last supported version for x12 series. DSM 7 was released just couple of months back, so 6.2.4 will still get security updates for some more time.

If you are looking to use a NAS as simple file server & back up, 212 should be good enough. It does some level of transcoding but I never used it for the purpose. I use it for file storage, syncing phones & laptops, local/home cloud & music server. Photo & video storage. I have upgraded to 218+, it was a impulse buy nothing lacking in 212 for my purpose.
Thanks. I read some people managed to upgrade to D7 on 212.

QNAP took a bad on their rep recently. Google "qnap backdoor" if you want to know more. I'd avoid them for the time being. And Synalogy has better products anyway. I've got DS218+ running DSM7 and it's the smoothest experience. Everything just works. I got the plus version rather than the j because I sometimes run Plex, Downloader, Sonarr and other such apps directly on the NAS. If you only need to use your NAS for backup and storing media files and don't need video transcoding, then 218j, 220j are perfectly fine. Plus versions have beefier processors and ram expansion slots.

I dont prefer these commercial solutions. Instead, i went with Fractal Design Case which can house multiple drives clubbed with a Supermicro motherboard.

It all depends what you use for the motherboard/cpu. You can either use low power boards based on atom processors, the power consumption will be similar to commercial NAS solutions. The advantage is that you are not limited to artificial 2/4 disks etc put by these vendors.

If you are looking for something in the budget, TrueNas on Intel NUC, and you have got yourself an enterprise-grade solution.
Hi There. Can you share some write-up link relating to this? I have a Intel NUC lying unused for a while and would want to re-purpose it to some better use - NAS, Pi-hole or smart DNS something like that.

Also, What is your experience using a similar setup?

Hi There. Can you share some write-up link relating to this? I have a Intel NUC lying unused for a while and would want to re-purpose it to some better use - NAS, Pi-hole or smart DNS something like that.

Also, What is your experience using a similar setup?
Download the FreeNAS image from the link below and boot the NUC from that image via a USB drive. The installation wizard is pretty self-explanatory. Be informed; you need a min of 8GB of RAM before the wizard allows you to install it. It's super stable from my experience and offers tons of Customization/Plugins like Plex, Nextcloud to extend the built-in NAS services.

Download the FreeNAS image from the link below and boot the NUC from that image via a USB drive. The installation wizard is pretty self-explanatory. Be informed; you need a min of 8GB of RAM before the wizard allows you to install it. It's super stable from my experience and offers tons of Customization/Plugins like Plex, Nextcloud to extend the built-in NAS services.

I can connect all my External HDD to the NUC and it could do that automatic mapping and access right?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back