Need some suggestions for NAS

Thanks, I will give it a try again then :)

Transmission must show the option to set Download Folder to some folder on "WD My Cloud Home", is that correct?
While Shield as an authorised devise should have full access to WD?
Transmission will create a folder for itself in home directory of the nas

No I just tried port forwarding on my router. But it did not work no matter how much i tried.
Depending on which isp u r mostly u got a double natted/cgnat connection in simple words ur current public ip which shown by google search is shared by 50 or more customer in your isp network. So u need a public ip from ur isp, which helps you to reach your router from anywhere.
There are some work arounds if u r desperate to get into ur home network from outside will post further procedures if u want to try:)

After trying to build a DIY NAS for 2 weeks and breaking my head over software issues, finally picked up Synology 220+ . The offline price is cheaper. Also picked up 4 GB of RAM since RAM can be upgraded from 2GB to 6 GB. Havent installed additional RAM yet since never felt the need. Playing movies from PLEX is such a joy- photo back up seamless...wish had taken the plunge much earlier.
how much did the price worked out to, looking out to buy one

After trying to build a DIY NAS for 2 weeks and breaking my head over software issues, finally picked up Synology 220+ . The offline price is cheaper. Also picked up 4 GB of RAM since RAM can be upgraded from 2GB to 6 GB. Havent installed additional RAM yet since never felt the need. Playing movies from PLEX is such a joy- photo back up seamless...wish had taken the plunge much earlier.
From where did you buy the ram? How much? Link if online purchase. Thanks

While searching for synology online , i came across a website Xpenology which is a bootloader for synology using which anyone can customize their own synology clones with a better hardware than avaiable with synology models. Has anyone done that, all the information is available on the website itself.

While searching for synology online , i came across a website Xpenology which is a bootloader for synology using which anyone can customize their own synology clones with a better hardware than avaiable with synology models. Has anyone done that, all the information is available on the website itself.
Hi,
As far as i know correct me if iam wrong ,you need to know that using XPEnology is illegal and in violation of the intellectual property of Synology and infringes its copyright.So you can go for tons of opensource software and avoid known risks.

Last edited:
Finally bit the bullet, after pondering over DIY Nas bought a Synology 220+ .Have been suggested Seagate Exos Enterprise haddisk with 5Yr warranty over IronWolf 3Yrs for similar pricing of 21K+ for 8 Gb drives. Any suggestions what i should go for ?

Last edited:
I prefer Western Digital Red. They provide really good support. Any issues in the warranty period and they ship you a new one. I am not sure if Seagate does the same.

Finally bit the bullet, after pondering over DIY Nas bought a Synology 220+ .Have been suggested Seagate Exos Enterprise haddisk with 5Yr warranty over IronWolf 3Yrs for similar pricing of 21K+ for 8 Gb drives. Any suggestions what i should go for ?

Exos drives can be a bit noisy since they are enterprise drives. where noise is not a concern. Ironwolf's are good NAS drives too.

If looking at WD Red's be aware that some of the drives in the lineup are SMR (not CMR/PMR).

Exos drives can be a bit noisy since they are enterprise drives. where noise is not a concern. Ironwolf's are good NAS drives too.

If looking at WD Red's be aware that some of the drives in the lineup are SMR (not CMR/PMR).
Right but the Red Pros are CMR. I know this because I also have four WD Red Pro drives (6TB each) in a Western Digital NAS setup (PR4100).

Right but the Red Pros are CMR. I know this because I also have four WD Red Pro drives (6TB each) in a Western Digital NAS setup (PR4100).
That's correct, the Pro's were aimed at the enterprise/SMB market while plain old Reds were aimed at the consumer NAS market.

WD got caught slipping in SMR drives into the consumer NAS line https://www.google.com/search?q=wd+red+smr and then had to clean up their act Here's the list of WD Red SMR drives https://blog.westerndigital.com/wd-red-nas-drives/

Last edited:
Yeah, I know all about it, and we had a discussion on it at tenforums.com. I also researched mine and found they were CMR :)

Are you folks able to play 4K streams with multichannel audio over wifi using these NAS or we have to use LAN for both source and player?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back