Need Stereo amplifier for Mission QX-2

Finally got PM6006.
Thanks a lot for all the valuable suggestions.

Here is my setup:
Airtel xstream(Sportify, amazon prime misic) (DAC optical cable) -> Schiit DAC (amazon basics RCA cables)-> PM 6006 (DAC 14 AWG speaker cables)-> mission QX2
Speakers are currently placed on chairs which are 1 feet away from the walls, searching for speaker stands.

It is since more than a week I am using it and here is my impression:
Bollywood songs from 80's(Lata), 90's(like Mohra....) are coming good. Vocals and instruments are refined and clear.
But when it comes to new and bit bass heavy songs, vocals are good and bass is sometimes deep and good but sometimes it is spreading all over.

What could be the reason? Is it the source(Sportify, prime music) or the streaming device(xstream box) or the speaker placements or cables?
Need your suggestions here.

For sure, no need of sub for the amount of bass it is producing.

Finally got PM6006.

Here is my setup:
Airtel xstream(Sportify, amazon prime misic) (DAC optical cable) -> Schiit DAC (amazon basics RCA cables)-> PM 6006 (DAC 14 AWG speaker cables)-> mission QX2
Speakers are currently placed on chairs which are 1 feet away from the walls, searching for speaker stands.

Bollywood songs from 80's(Lata), 90's(like Mohra....) are coming good. Vocals and instruments are refined and clear.
But when it comes to new and bit bass heavy songs, vocals are good and bass is sometimes deep and good but sometimes it is spreading all over.

What could be the reason? Is it the source(Sportify, prime music) or the streaming device(xstream box) or the speaker placements or cables?

Speaker placement according to me... Small adjustments to positioning or even changing rooms can make a huge difference (think day and night)...

If the bass is sloppy or boomy, try moving your speakers away from the wall, especially for rear ported speakers.

Also, please place them on stands. The chairs add to the resonance/vibrations and the bass will be sloppy.

Could you define more specifically what you mean by the bass spreading all over? Is the bass punchy? is it sloppy? Can you tell where its coming from i.e. whether you can pinpoint its coming from the speakers or whether it feels like its spread across the room?

Last edited:
Hello,

Need a matching stereo amplifier for speaker mission QX-2.Budget is around 25K.
Source: steaming + DAC (Later will add a DVP)

Details of QX-2:
Sensitivity (2.0V@1m) 88db
Recommended Amplifier Power 25-120W
Nominal Impedence 8Ω Compatible

Few searched amp:
1. Marantz pm 5005 (2x 40W / 8 Ω rms)
2. Denon PMA-520AE(70 W x 2 ch (4 ohms))
3. CA AX-A25(25 Watts (into 8 Ohms))

Need suggestions on any one from above or others or used one?

As well need suggestions for speaker cable(Bugdet around 1K to 2K), will "DAC SPK14 AWG" fits for this setup or any other?
I have a NAD C352 and a Crown XLS 1502. Let me know if you are interested

Finally got PM6006.

Here is my setup:

Could be burn in related also because both the speakers and amplifier were new.

Speaker placement according to me... Small adjustments to positioning or even changing rooms can make a huge difference (think day and night)...

If the bass is sloppy or boomy, try moving your speakers away from the wall, especially for rear ported speakers.

Also, please place them on stands. The chairs add to the resonance/vibrations and the bass will be sloppy.

Could you define more specifically what you mean by the bass spreading all over? Is the bass punchy? is it sloppy? Can you tell where its coming from i.e. whether you can pinpoint its coming from the speakers or whether it feels like its spread across the room?
Not able to respond earlier as was busy a bit.

Soundstage: (Note here that still my BS are on chairs and source is not best)
Source is from sportify from airtel xtream andriod box.
As said earlier, old songs from 80's 90's sounding good even the bass is tight enough. no problem here.
Vocals from Lata's songs are too good.

But when it comes to the new songs, vocals and high ends are good but when it comes to bass, it is Boomy(not sure if it is the exact audiophile term), it is echoing and spreading all over the room along with vocals. Note here that the upper layer of the bass(more than 70htz, guessing) is echoing and spreading and that to at certain section of the song. It is not like for the whole song the bass is echoing and spreading.

It might be due to the room acoustics. I have a shiny floor that I used to cover with a mat when playing. What else I can do here?
Changed the speaker position but not much of a difference I can notice.

I have ordered speaker stands from a local carpenter. May it helps here.

Yes both speakers and amp is new and it needs some burn in time(not sure). I am not able to play it longer time. So listening to it weekly around 10-12 hrs only.

Or is it the source, not capable of producing good bass note, do I need a DVP as a source here?

As said earlier, old songs from 80's 90's sounding good even the bass is tight enough. no problem here.

But when it comes to the new songs, vocals and high ends are good but when it comes to bass, it is Boomy(not sure if it is the exact audiophile term), it is echoing and spreading all over the room along with vocals. Note here that the upper layer of the bass(more than 70htz, guessing) is echoing and spreading and that to at certain section of the song. It is not like for the whole song the bass is echoing and spreading.

It might be due to the room acoustics. I have a shiny floor that I used to cover with a mat when playing. What else I can do here?

Yes both speakers and amp is new and it needs some burn in time(not sure). I am not able to play it longer time. So listening to it weekly around 10-12 hrs only.

Or is it the source, not capable of producing good bass note, do I need a DVP as a source here?
I had the similar problem with Marantz PM6006( blind buy ) which i sold after listening for a month time.It was booming bass all over, even in direct mode.Tried with different set of speakers( BS & FS ) and source ( CCA,External DAC,ALLO products) but no improvement. I did not like the signature.

But there are lot of happy owners with Marantz PM6006.
It could be speaker matching and room plays a vital role here.

I still own my Yamaha RN803( purchased an year back ) it is comparatively better on controlling the bass for my kind of listening.Yeah,it is not wise comparison between Yamaha RN803 Vs Marantz PM6006 .

PS - Taste and Room acoustics differs.

Atb

if it sounds like it is echoing and boomy, it is an acoustic problem for sure. I heard mostly new age tracks on the QX2 and its bass was clean and well balanced. Again, remember that getting the balance of the bass right is probably the most difficult while setting up speakers. If you get the bass right, everyhting else is relatively minor adjustments. Stands won't help too much if its an acoustic problem though fingers crossed.

I had the similar problem with Marantz PM6006( blind buy ) which i sold after listening for a month time.It was booming bass all over, even in direct mode.Tried with different set of speakers( BS & FS ) no improvement. I did not like the signature.

I still own my Yamaha RN803( purchased an year back ) it is comparatively better on controlling the bass for my kind of listening.Yeah,it is not wise comparison between Yamaha RN803 Vs Marantz PM6006 .

Truer words were never spoken. I've noticed that not just music but taste in sound signature also varies hugely. I have never heard anybody describe the PM6006 bass as boomy and in fact, i'm still astounded at how well it stacks up against my Cambridge Audio CXA81. TBH, i would've been perfectly happy without having upgraded to the latter (though i'm smitten by the convenience of the CXA81).

On another note, its interesting that you have a marantz stack as your DP. As far as i have found, all marantz amplifiers have the same sound signature. The pricier models just improve on it

Last edited:
if it sounds like it is echoing and boomy, it is an acoustic problem for sure. I heard mostly new age tracks on the QX2 and its bass was clean and well balanced. Again, remember that getting the balance of the bass right is probably the most difficult while setting up speakers. If you get the bass right, everyhting else is relatively minor adjustments. Stands won't help too much if its an acoustic problem though fingers crossed.

Truer words were never spoken. I've noticed that not just music but taste in sound signature also varies hugely. I have never heard anybody describe the PM6006 bass as boomy and in fact, i'm still astounded at how well it stacks up against my Cambridge Audio CXA81. TBH, i would've been perfectly happy without having upgraded to the latter (though i'm smitten by the convenience of the CXA81).

On another note, its interesting that you have a marantz stack as your DP. As far as i have found, all marantz amplifiers have the same sound signature. The pricier models just improve on it
I had and have AVR's from Marantz starting from basic SR to top-end .Hence i pulled the trigger without 2nd thought and PM6006 was blind buy. i failed to accommodate the sound signature from Marantz PM6006.
May be it is only me and not for me.

I had and have AVR's from Marantz starting from basic SR to top-end .Hence i pulled the trigger without 2nd thought and PM6006 was blind buy. i failed to accommodate the sound signature from Marantz PM6006.
May be it is only me and not for me.
Don't you think the PM6006 has the exact same sound signature as the AVRs? I have the SR6013 and the difference between it and the PM6006 would be splitting hairs though i'd give the PM6006 the edge because of slightly better dynamics and three dimensionality. I'd heard the much more basic NR1509 and again, i found the same signature Marantz sound, albeit, with lesser meat on the bone than the aforementioned Amps.

I had the similar problem with Marantz PM6006( blind buy ) which i sold after listening for a month time.It was booming bass all over, even in direct mode.Tried with different set of speakers( BS & FS ) and source ( CCA,External DAC,ALLO products) but no improvement. I did not like the signature.

Atb
You have mentioned that it is not a wise
comparison between Yamaha RN803 Vs Marantz PM6006 .
Please clear that why it is not a same level comparasion. Is it because of 803 has higher price than 6006. Or it is because one is yamaha streamer cum amp and other is marantz amp.

Please clear

I am using pm6006 and have never experienced any boominess. May that particular piece you received had that weakness.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back