Need suggestion for BookShelf

Hello all,
What would a best choice of a bookshelf pair with MarantzPM7001?

>Decent Bass and very good mid. Hi can be moderate
>Under 20~25K

> Should be excellent in low to very low volume..

Hello all,
What would a best choice of a bookshelf pair with MarantzPM7001?

>Decent Bass and very good mid. Hi can be moderate
>Under 20~25K

> Should be excellent in low to very low volume..

Hi:

With a great amp like the PM7001, I would be more inclined to a more refined BS speaker like the MA BR2 - excellent bass, nice rounded treble, good imaging, very musical.

:)

Wharf 9.2 is much better,other I heard is Tanny F1 which is very clean Though Bass in 9.2 is deep.

Hi,
Well the Wharfedale is one of the favorite speakers here and probably suits your need.I'll suggest you audition the Usher S-520 also, which one of our dear member bought recently after auditioning tons of bookshelfs:D.This speaker is well inside your budget and the rest can be spent on some good quality cables.
Pls follow this link to his thread: http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/5121-favourite-speakers-under-inr-20k-31.html

All the best
Sam

Last edited:
For your requirement I would go with Quad 11L2 or 12L2. 11L2 I think will be in your budget not sure about 12L2. Older 12L model may come close to your budget. With a subwoofer like Wharefedale SW150 they sound very good. I have listened to this combination and I liked it.

as the member above has stated a Quad 11L or 12L would easilly trump most of the speakers mentioned above
see if you can get them used
New ones retail close between 30k to 40k i think

with a marantz Pm 7001 i would definetely look at a PSB Image B25
i personally think it would make a terrific combo at that price (24k)

What I experience is with with Hi freq, (bright speakers) I am getting headache :eek:

so a perfect tight bass (not room shaking..) and a very smooth Mid and hi, is suitable for me.
And more important, Low volume, it should be smooth to listen. I listen Carnatic, vocals, guitar, flute, saxo, violin, piano...etc..

thanks for the suggestion. I will look Wharfs. and I dont know who sells PSB and Mission in Bangalore.

Last edited:
Out of what I've heard, there's nothing in that budget range that comes close to the Usher S520. Yes it's a shade on the brighter side of neutral (and that's probably a function of it being a highly revealing speaker), but if you pick the partnering equipment right (or if you position them well), you should have no problem whatsoever. I've compared it to the BR2 and the Usher is in another league. I've not heard the Quads, but the Hi Fi World comparison test rates the Ushers above the Quads (as well as the B&W 685).

The PSB Image B25 is a prominent candidate in this category that I haven't listened to, so I can't say if the Usher beats it.

bowled over by the ushers i see psycho!!:clapping:the ushers are gems.
@OP,somehow i think the wharfs should be good for ur requirements.ma/psb are great options.listen to them and decide.cheers

in my opinions, wharfs are the least good speakers in all of the ones mentioned above. MA/usher/B&W etc are all better than wharf. dont forget the mezzo2. they should be on your audition list.

Hi Anandkrishnan,
Looking at your requirement it appears Wharf 9.2 was custom made for you. (soothing mid and treble, decent bass, low volume clarity etc.). Without subwoofer support, no bookshelf can beat 9.2 SQ at 14k price.

Having said that do consider Usher 520 seriously since they are close to your budget(I own 9.2 and I have grown beyond the 9.2 sound).

I haven't heard Ushers, but lot of experienced guys recommending Usher 520 on this forum, is strong reason to consider them. (this forum's recommendation directed me to 9.2 considering my 14k limit, and I haven't regretted my decision. If I would have had more budget, would have gone for Usher 520)

Regards,

What I experience is with with Hi freq, (bright speakers) I am getting headache :eek:

so a perfect tight bass (not room shaking..) and a very smooth Mid and hi, is suitable for me.
And more important, Low volume, it should be smooth to listen. I listen Carnatic, vocals, guitar, flute, saxo, violin, piano...etc..

thanks for the suggestion. I will look Wharfs. and I dont know who sells PSB and Mission in Bangalore.

Hi Anand,
Maybe u could put a rug/heavy curtains etc etc to avoid over enthusiastic HF response.
The 7001 amp is good and pairing it with the Wharfs may work for u but i still suggest u try the PSB I 15 & 25 and then take a call. These too are smooth and not as lively as say a MA but IMO offer more detail than the wharfs.
Dont know who sells Mission in bglore but PSB should be available with the NAD dealer in bglore as they share the same distributor and are often paired together.
Rgds

for psb contact balaji ramachandran of mahendra associates in bangalore ph -9343828522. they are the dealers for psb in bangalore
Found this in another thread, contact for mission dealer in Bangalore
Anand B.R.
deciBels Inc.,
Bangalore.
Ph : 41130927, 9886722937.

Well, I actually think that the Marantz-PSB combination does very well for vocal-based music. It is not exactly neutral. But it does not set your nerves in a jangle.

In the 25K budget range, the Image B25s are special speakers. I would be very surprised if the Usher S520 beats the Image B25s. I have still not had a chance to listen to the Ushers though.

Another interesting speaker choice for you would be the EPOS M5i. It is a very highly recommended speaker. Fatigue free listening and excellent performance on vocals are its strong suit. Do see if you can audition this one. From experience I can confirm that they do indeed do well with a Marantz.

On a side note, Marantz is the amplifier brand for Jazz music. The way it draws out saxophone sounds is superior to many other brands I have heard. Yes, on Jazz, it surpasses the NAD.

Hi.

Music Ranch, JNR 4th block is an authorised dealer for MISSION.

cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back