Need suggestion for Speaker + Amplifier

@TheVortex, I had lumped PSB and Polk together as both being from North America. That is all. No indications of their capabilities.

@Moser, though active speakers do deliver good sound, they have very little options for the end user. And speaker manufacturers do not make good amps, and amp manufacturers do not make good speakers. Companies such as CA are attempting this, but when it comes to a choice, I am sure they will prefer to work more on their amps and sources than on their speakers.

An amp and passive speakers give better soundstage, options for adding more sources, and, in my opinion, better pre amplification of the sound. When you put an amp into a speaker, there are compromises in terms of real estate, and economies available to build a good circuit.

Powered speakers are all right as playing music sitting on a PC desk. But if you are building a good two channel system, an external amp should deliver better soundstage and better music.

All this is my personal opinion.

Cheers

No problem, Venkat. Just kidding. :)

To the OP - I have EPOS M12.2 speakers and can tell you about their placement and corresponding behaviour. This may or may not match exactly with the characteristics of the newer M12i. Going by information on the internet, EPOS says that the changes in the new 'i' series are very subtle. So, I would think there should be not be too much of a difference.

If you move these bookshelves pretty close to the rear walls - say you have about 6 to 8 inches distance between them and the wall, you would get a lot of bass. What you would be missing out on would be soundstaging - an impressive capability of throwing an image in front of and sometimes even slightly behind the speakers. That can be very addicting - at the expense of the bass response. Moved close to the walls, this speaker does a very good job with low frequency content - be it movies or music.

Distance from the side wall - I would advise having at least a foot of space. Sound gets muddied if you place these in a corner - where the rear and side walls meet.

One other thing - I like the sound best from this speaker with their grilles off. The new M12i's have completely different kind of grilles though and this may not be applicable.

Thank thevortex. I will be able to provide around 40 cm gap between speaker and rear wall and about 3 ft distance from side walls. Will it be just adequate for M12i?

How Dynaudio audience 52 speaker will perform with the above distances from the walls?

Any Dali Ikon user may please advise about its placement requirement. Yesterday I enquired with Sight and Sound Okhla New Delhi about the Dali Ikon2 speaker stand. They have told that it can be hanged on wall and co. provide bracket for the same. They don't have any stand for mounting the speaker. Is it true?

I think the dealer you talked about quotes very high rates. You can try the shop in khan market (I think it is called sharda motors) - they always quoted good rates, but unfortunately we could never work out a time for demo. Weekend are too busy for a serious listen, and I do not get leaves on weekdays easily.
There is another one in Gurgaon who sells Dali - I think it is called Mehrotra. They were also giving ok rates.

regards

If the dealer is in Khan market, then it is only 3-4 km from my Office. I may try on weekdays also.

Thanks Anm for the info.

..How Dynaudio audience 52 speaker will perform with the above distances from the walls?

The Dynaudios are very power hungry so make sure that you have a good amp to drive them. They sound fairly different when being driven with amp that has generous wattage than a low wattage one.

Another new kid on the block is PSB Imagine floor standers. I had a chance to audition these last week and they are excellent for music and gorgeous to look at.

Yes, the new PSB Imagine series really seems to be tremendous value for money. I have not heard them, but certainly they deserve an audition. The Imagine T floorstanders (USD 2000) would be over a lakh here in India, but the Imagine B bookshelf speakers (USD 1000) may just be worth Amit's consideration. Has extremely good reviews all around. Looks great too!

Yes, the new PSB Imagine series really seems to be tremendous value for money. I have not heard them, but certainly they deserve an audition. The Imagine T floorstanders (USD 2000) would be over a lakh here in India, but the Imagine B bookshelf speakers (USD 1000) may just be worth Amit's consideration. Has extremely good reviews all around. Looks great too!

For some reason, the PSB speakers dont seem to have a very friendly (to the consumers, that is) conversion rate when it comes to Indian rupees. Is Lakozy to blame on this? I dont know.

As otherwise the Imagine speakers (bookshelves) were high on my list as well.:(

For some reason, the PSB speakers dont seem to have a very friendly (to the consumers, that is) conversion rate when it comes to Indian rupees. Is Lakozy to blame on this? I dont know.

As otherwise the Imagine speakers (bookshelves) were high on my list as well.:(

thevortex, how much are they in INR (incl.VAT) ?

The bookshelves may work out if he has stands already as they cannot be placed on shelves etc. since he may not get the best sound effects. I heard the bookshelves just a bit but the floorstanders had to be placed 2 feet apart from the front and side walls to sound sublime. Beautiful sound and finish for sure.

Thanks Asit, Thevortex and Marsilians for your suggestions.
The space of about 40 cms between the speaker and rear wall, which I plan to provid was based on pulling the speaker towards forward every time while listening. But the BS speakers with heavy stand will not be light (Usher X-718 with original stand will weigh about 60 pounds) and it will not be a good idea to do it every time.

So what's the alternate - Fornt ported or wall mounted 2.0 speakers? At normal placement time the clearance between speaker and rear wall will be around 6-8" only. And I doubt any rear ported speaker will be able to deliver good mid range aty that position.

Need your suggestion please.

thevortex, how much are they in INR (incl.VAT) ?

If I remember right, they were priced at well over 60000 rs.

In fact, the Image T45s are priced at a little over 45000 rupees. While I love PSB's sound signature this price just does not cut it, in my opinion. Bear in mind that these are sold at $750 a pair in the US.

Thanks Asit, Thevortex and Marsilians for your suggestions.
The space of about 40 cms between the speaker and rear wall, which I plan to provid was based on pulling the speaker towards forward every time while listening. But the BS speakers with heavy stand will not be light (Usher X-718 with original stand will weigh about 60 pounds) and it will not be a good idea to do it every time.

So what's the alternate - Fornt ported or wall mounted 2.0 speakers? At normal placement time the clearance between speaker and rear wall will be around 6-8" only. And I doubt any rear ported speaker will be able to deliver good mid range aty that position.

Need your suggestion please.

Speaker placement relative to the rear or side walls is something very subjective. You might find that you actually like the bass rolling off the speakers when you keep them just 40 cm away from the rear walls! Cant say that without trying it out.

The only thing I have noticed is that the more away from the rear walls you pull the EPOS M12.2's the better their imaging and sound staging becomes. Of course the bass is lighter.

How big is your room? If its quite big, then I dont think there should be a problem with your placing your bookshelves even about 6 inches from your rear wall. If you can pull the speakers from being placed in absolute corners that would be great. As long as you maintain a distance of 4 to 6 feet between your two front speakers it would be great.

These are things that I have experimented with in my setup. Whether these provide the same effect in your setup will need to be verified. Almost nothing in this hobby is for sure;)

Thanks Thevortex,
My room size is 165 sqft (14.5 ft x 11.5 ft). The speakers will be placed around 6 ft apart and about 3 ft from side walls. They will not be put in corners. Only problem is the space between the speaker and rear wall.

As far as I know, Usher S520 is a front ported BS speaker and may be a good choice for my room. PSB Image series is also front ported. KEF IQ30 is also front ported. There may be few more...I don't know how they will perform as 2.0 Stereo speakers!!!

The only thing I have noticed is that the more away from the rear walls you pull the EPOS M12.2's the better their imaging and sound staging becomes. Of course the bass is lighter.

How big is your room? If its quite big, then I dont think there should be a problem with your placing your bookshelves even about 6 inches from your rear wall. If you can pull the speakers from being placed in absolute corners that would be great. As long as you maintain a distance of 4 to 6 feet between your two front speakers it would be great.

AMITNOIDA, I invite you to my house as I also have a room size of 150 sqft and have front ported speakers so that so can actually get a feel of the stereo sound....

kindest regards

Last edited:
If I remember right, they were priced at well over 60000 rs.

In fact, the Image T45s are priced at a little over 45000 rupees. While I love PSB's sound signature this price just does not cut it, in my opinion. Bear in mind that these are sold at $750 a pair in the US.

Just to note that it is not such a bad price given the customs and VAT that gets tacked on.

Guys

I have a strong feeling that you won't get a spatial depth but a wallpaper flat imaging if the speakers are not 0.7 to 1 mtr away from the rear wall.

Regards

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back