Need suggestion on active speaker choice

chander

I have decided to go ahead and buy a pair of actives and in lieu sell my Quad S1s and Audiolab 6000a (just for fun as there isn’t much to do anyway). The Actives will be driven by Schiit Saga + Bluesound Node 2i and they will be used in a near field setup on my 7.2 FT work desk - end to end, I also have an active sub, but planning to get a REL T5i as a friend is ready to give me his for trying and buying. Budget not being too much - maybe 50K tops as this is a for fun project - was wondering if any of you have any inputs here? Any suggestions for active speakers.

Till now my research and with some experience, I have shortlisted the following - Adam Audio T5V, M-Audio BX5 D3 and Pre-Sonus Eris 4.5 (Yamaha HS5/8 are out, I heard them ages ago when I was all for actives and I think they are best suited for a studio). Anything else I should consider - in the budget. I am going into actives after a very long time, so out of touch completely any help will be appreciated.

The ones you mentioned are also studio monitors. If you're okay with that, Adam T7V, Mackie MR824 and JBL LSR308 are good even for mid-field listening (around 6 ft). You can also check out the Edifier S3000 Pro on Amazon.

I don't know how much they cost, but event opal active speakers are held in very high regard. Though Ive never heard them. And expect them to be on the expensive side.

A gentleman I know after using the event opal for a few weeks, sold his tannoy chevoits and stingray tubed mono block amps. That combination is very very expensive. All the best:)

I don't know how much they cost, but event opal active speakers are held in very high regard. Though Ive never heard them. And expect them to be on the expensive side.

A gentleman I know after using the event opal for a few weeks, sold his tannoy chevoits and stingray tubed mono block amps. That combination is very very expensive. All the best:)
Manley stingray is kind of a bucket list item for me. It is a dream I want to experience - Manley stingray Neo classic 500s playing a pair of Avantgarde speakers with Blue Horns - while it is snowing outside and I am tucked in my lazy boy admiring the view of the 3 sister peaks in Uttarakhand and listening to some beautiful saxophone. You just pissed on my dream :p

Well if we are looking at around $4-5K, trumping a $20K+ setup I am all in to give it a try, it won’t be as romantic as the blue horns and the warm glow of the tubes, but well, I can buy a better recliner from what I save.

Manley stingray is kind of a bucket list item for me. It is a dream I want to experience - Manley stingray Neo classic 500s playing a pair of Avantgarde speakers with Blue Horns - while it is snowing outside and I am tucked in my lazy boy admiring the view of the 3 sister peaks in Uttarakhand and listening to some beautiful saxophone. You just pissed on my dream :p

Well if we are looking at around $4-5K, trumping a $20K+ setup I am all in to give it a try, it won’t be as romantic as the blue horns and the warm glow of the tubes, but well, I can buy a better recliner from what I save.
Haha...thanks for that. I envy you happily camped in cool uttarakhand, while we lot sweat away in hyderabad :D

But really, there is a certain advantage to active speakers. And the event opals are supposed to be really great. I don't know if I can post links from another sites, but I will send you a PM :)

Haha...thanks for that. I envy you happily camped in cool uttarakhand, while we lot sweat away in hyderabad :D
No man I am in Goa, dealing with the aftermath of the cyclone. The electricity came back finally after 5 days of blackout, but we are still waiting for internet - so still trying to finish some piled up work over the week, with shitty, spotty 4G tethering from the phone. The 3 sister peaks part is a dream still far from reality.

I have decided to go ahead and buy a pair of actives and in lieu sell my Quad S1s and Audiolab 6000a (just for fun as there isn’t much to do anyway). The Actives will be driven by Schiit Saga + Bluesound Node 2i and they will be used in a near field setup on my 7.2 FT work desk - end to end, I also have an active sub, but planning to get a REL T5i as a friend is ready to give me his for trying and buying. Budget not being too much - maybe 50K tops as this is a for fun project - was wondering if any of you have any inputs here? Any suggestions for active speakers.

Till now my research and with some experience, I have shortlisted the following - Adam Audio T5V, M-Audio BX5 D3 and Pre-Sonus Eris 4.5 (Yamaha HS5/8 are out, I heard them ages ago when I was all for actives and I think they are best suited for a studio). Anything else I should consider - in the budget. I am going into actives after a very long time, so out of touch completely any help will be appreciated.
Try ILOUD MTM, superb near-field active monitors. I am using for my desktop setup.

At a 50k budget you could easily swap in the Eris 5/5 XT/8 in your list instead of the 4.5, unless desk space is a constraint.

At a 50k budget you could easily swap in the Eris 5/5 XT/8 in your list instead of the 4.5, unless desk space is a constraint.
I would agree

The 4.5 are powered desktop speakers with some convenience features. The e5 are a clear step up but don't have a volume control. The e8 need a fair bit of room to integrate well and don't really work well in a desktop setup. Currently own a 4.5 and have owned an 8 before

I would agree

The 4.5 are powered desktop speakers with some convenience features. The e5 are a clear step up but don't have a volume control. The e8 need a fair bit of room to integrate well and don't really work well in a desktop setup. Currently own a 4.5 and have owned an 8 before
Not that bothered about the volume control, planning to put in the Schiit in the chain, so that takes care of the volume. The main aim - moving from the S1s is to
1 - have a near field setup as that suits my latest situation the best.
2 - have something with less clutter of wires etc as all this is on the desk, do not want to have an AMP sitting pretty

Not that bothered about the volume control, planning to put in the Schiit in the chain, so that takes care of the volume. The main aim - moving from the S1s is to
1 - have a near field setup as that suits my latest situation the best.
2 - have something with less clutter of wires etc as all this is on the desk, do not want to have an AMP sitting pretty
The PreSonus option will work in these constraints. One thing to keep in mind is that they dont have ribbon tweeters. If you prefer that presentation, there are other studio monitors which do (Adams come to mind)

The PreSonus option will work in these constraints. One thing to keep in mind is that they dont have ribbon tweeters. If you prefer that presentation, there are other studio monitors which do (Adams come to mind)
Will keep that in mind! It will be hard to find something that can better S1s vocals, but I need something a little more versatile, provided my music tastes.

You can consider Genelac, M&K, ATC also

Budget not being too much - maybe 50K tops as this is a for fun project - was wondering if any of you have any inputs here? Any suggestions for active speakers.
That is a decent budget to get good stuff. Try one of the distributors of multi studio monitor brands with whom you can get the advantage of them carrying (multiple) speakers to your home as long as you commit to buying immediately from them. Typically (pre lockdown), one could get home demos of active speakers atleast in Mumbai.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back