Need suggestion on installing atmos speakers on gypsum false ceiling & Design for dedicated home theater room

rajelectron

Hi all,
Building an dedicated home theater room , room dimensions are L:20 x width 13 x height 10.
I have multiple questions in installing atmos speaker in gypsum false ceiling.

1. first of all, is it recommended to install gypsum false ceiling in dedicated HT room??? some people expressing that gysum sheets will get damage while using higher louder speaker volumes over a period of time is it true????

2. is it necessary to have flat gypsum false ceiling in dedicated home theather ??planing to install some design in ceiling...i heard flat ceiling is recommended for dedicated home theater room....is it true???

3.. I have taga harmony RB 820 ceiling atmos speakers , (planing to install 4 atmos speakers(7.1.4),each speaker weight around 4Kg's, can i install directly in gypsum false ceiling...can it with stand 4 atmos speaker while pumping the audio........???? , gypsum installation guys suggesting to put wood plank/box instead of gypsum sheet to with stand vibrations.....??? any suggestion here ???

Experts please help here???

Thanks,
Raj

Yes the installation guys are correct. You are installing 4 ceiling speakers so in my opinion stick to their advice and also my suggestion will be to go for a flat ceiling. Choice is up to you. M sure more FM with similar set up will share their thoughts on the matter

It would be better to go with acoustic ceiling. Gypsum ceiling is not acoustic. Gypsum ceiling will not take the weight of the speakers. You could look at wooden ceiling or acoustic ceiling. Better to consult the audio video installers as they would suggest better matl.

It is recommended to have acoustic ceiling which is flat and smooth (like a velvet cloth/carpet).
Ceiling should not be reflective type. If you are planning to listen to music, it is not recommended to have hard designs on the ceiling which may affect stereo imaging.

It is recommended to install speakers using wooden boxes and not recommended to install on gypsum ceiling since the speakers are heavy and not coming with ceiling mount brackets.

thanks guys for your comment...after multiple discussion we went with flat false ceiling....planning as below to install 4 atmos speakers for 13x20 feet room...pls comments/feedback/help in case any correction ....
1547034806929.png

planing the wooden box to install atoms speakers, is there any specific dimension we need to make like length and width...i have seen similar boxes in one of the thread and shown to pop installation guys like below...

1547034979370.png

but pop installation guy came up with this big box but it looks too heavy for me...seams half of size will suffice to place the speaker in ceiling ...but before cutting in to half i would to check with u guys...is there any specific dimension required to place ceiling speaker in such wooden box...if yes please help???

1547034518671.png

I have seen many instances wherein incieling speakers have been directly mounted into gypsum boards without any issues. The back of the speaker is exposed to the air cavity of the false ceiling. It is good that you are installing additional wooden box as it adds to the safety and rigidity. Technically, the wooden box you have shown would be sealed, perhaps with a hole for the wire. Since overhead channels are not pumping high levels a sealed box wouldn't really matter. Since you have already decided to install a wooden box, so as long as the speaker surface is flush with the overall cieling (aesthetically speaking), don't worry about the size (volume) of the box behind.

Personally, the picture you have posted seems overkill for me. Flat wooden surface with the round cutout, secured to the cieling with some strips of wood will also do. Iam also wondering as to how your carpenter is going to mount the finished box in the concrete part of the cieling.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back