Need suggestion to build a 5.1 speaker system

b.sourav

Hello Everybody,

I am old follower of this forum, but a new member. I am new to HiFi sector but I have little bit of idea about electronics.

After lots of lots of hours spending on internet finally I decided to go for Yamaha 577/677 for my first AVR (My usage going to be 60/40 for music/movie). After purchasing that I will be penny-less, so I decided to build my own bookshelf speaker instead of buying Monitor Audio BX2 or Boston Acoustics A26. Hence this post. I understand that DIY thing will not produce the SQ of BX2 or A26 or ...... but it will save lots of my money :eek:hyeah:.

Here is my plan
First build 2 bookshelfs with 2 way crossover.
Then a Subwoofer
Then Center channel and 2 more bookshelfs.

Presently I am focusing only on those 2 bookshelfs.
Drivers shortlisted
Peerless SK0130 (8Ohm)
Pearless SR10DT (8Ohm)
Crossover frequency 3500 Hz. Used X-Over 3 to design it.

But immediate problem is when I am going to start work on centre channel I have to choose 2x4Ohm driver in series. Because I intend to build centre channel with 2 midrange and 1 tweeter configuration. Unfortunately peerless does not produce same series drivers with 4 Ohm impedance. I am in doubt to use other 4Ohm drivers because don't know their sonic signature. If they does not match then whole effort will be pointless. Googling does not give satisfied result.

I am stuck here, hence this post.
So I am looking for experts suggestion. Is their any way to use 2x 8 Ohm midrange and a 8 Ohm tweeter without altering total impedance (8 Ohm)? If No, then what are the other driver choice do I have to create same (if not better) SQ?

If you have two midrange drivers Then their effective SPL will be 3 dB more than what specified for one. So effective SPL of those two midrange of your selection will be around 3 dB more than SR10DT. Will then the tweeter be heard properly?

Why not have two mid range drivers only or just one with higher SPL. It will be cheaper as well. I know most of the HT centre speaker has two woofer one tweeter configuration, but I don't know any other design consideration and reason that they took to do so.

If you know these design principles, then you can buy two 8 ohms midrange (keep them in parallel) and connect one 4 ohms tweeter in series. 4 ohms one may need to buy from Car type tweeters.

If you have two midrange drivers Then their effective SPL will be 3 dB more than what specified for one. So effective SPL of those two midrange of your selection will be around 3 dB more than SR10DT. Will then the tweeter be heard properly?

Why not have two mid range drivers only or just one with higher SPL. It will be cheaper as well. I know most of the HT centre speaker has two woofer one tweeter configuration, but I don't know any other design consideration and reason that they took to do so.

If you know these design principles, then you can buy two 8 ohms midrange (keep them in parallel) and connect one 4 ohms tweeter in series. 4 ohms one may need to buy from Car type tweeters.
Thanks for your suggestion Sumanta. To be frank I did not now about series crossovers. I am researching on it for pros and cons.

And yes, I am aware of SPL shift for using 2 mid drivers. It will be equalized in crossover circuit.

What is your opinion about Wavecor drivers? Is they available in india? If yes, price?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back