Need suggestion to build a 5.1 speaker system

b.sourav

Hello Everybody,

I am old follower of this forum, but a new member. I am new to HiFi sector but I have little bit of idea about electronics.

After lots of lots of hours spending on internet finally I decided to go for Yamaha 577/677 for my first AVR (My usage going to be 60/40 for music/movie). After purchasing that I will be penny-less, so I decided to build my own bookshelf speaker instead of buying Monitor Audio BX2 or Boston Acoustics A26. Hence this post. I understand that DIY thing will not produce the SQ of BX2 or A26 or ...... but it will save lots of my money :eek:hyeah:.

Here is my plan
First build 2 bookshelfs with 2 way crossover.
Then a Subwoofer
Then Center channel and 2 more bookshelfs.

Presently I am focusing only on those 2 bookshelfs.
Drivers shortlisted
Peerless SK0130 (8Ohm)
Pearless SR10DT (8Ohm)
Crossover frequency 3500 Hz. Used X-Over 3 to design it.

But immediate problem is when I am going to start work on centre channel I have to choose 2x4Ohm driver in series. Because I intend to build centre channel with 2 midrange and 1 tweeter configuration. Unfortunately peerless does not produce same series drivers with 4 Ohm impedance. I am in doubt to use other 4Ohm drivers because don't know their sonic signature. If they does not match then whole effort will be pointless. Googling does not give satisfied result.

I am stuck here, hence this post.
So I am looking for experts suggestion. Is their any way to use 2x 8 Ohm midrange and a 8 Ohm tweeter without altering total impedance (8 Ohm)? If No, then what are the other driver choice do I have to create same (if not better) SQ?

If you have two midrange drivers Then their effective SPL will be 3 dB more than what specified for one. So effective SPL of those two midrange of your selection will be around 3 dB more than SR10DT. Will then the tweeter be heard properly?

Why not have two mid range drivers only or just one with higher SPL. It will be cheaper as well. I know most of the HT centre speaker has two woofer one tweeter configuration, but I don't know any other design consideration and reason that they took to do so.

If you know these design principles, then you can buy two 8 ohms midrange (keep them in parallel) and connect one 4 ohms tweeter in series. 4 ohms one may need to buy from Car type tweeters.

If you have two midrange drivers Then their effective SPL will be 3 dB more than what specified for one. So effective SPL of those two midrange of your selection will be around 3 dB more than SR10DT. Will then the tweeter be heard properly?

Why not have two mid range drivers only or just one with higher SPL. It will be cheaper as well. I know most of the HT centre speaker has two woofer one tweeter configuration, but I don't know any other design consideration and reason that they took to do so.

If you know these design principles, then you can buy two 8 ohms midrange (keep them in parallel) and connect one 4 ohms tweeter in series. 4 ohms one may need to buy from Car type tweeters.
Thanks for your suggestion Sumanta. To be frank I did not now about series crossovers. I am researching on it for pros and cons.

And yes, I am aware of SPL shift for using 2 mid drivers. It will be equalized in crossover circuit.

What is your opinion about Wavecor drivers? Is they available in india? If yes, price?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back