Need suggestions on new 2 ch system

akstorm

Hello fellow FMs,

So well finally my first post. Some background , i am 26, engineer, budding musician, tech junkie, biker, and the list goes on. Now, moving on... have gone through a lot of posts and well couldn't find the answers I was looking for, so here it goes......

I am looking to set up a new 2ch setup for primarily audio and gaming.

What i have:
  • SMSL SA-98e 2Ch T-Amp (Upto say 40W clean power at 8ohm)
  • SMSL Sanskrit 6th Edition DAC
  • Chromcast Audio Wireless Streeamer

What i am looking for:

• Well one pair of speakers :D

Now the "needs suggestions" part:

These are the options i am looking at:

1. Sonodyne Sonus 1501 (Auditioned them, didn't like them much, but they are easy on the pocket)
  2. Warfdale Diamond 210/220 (Didn't find them anywhere to audition, but well we know they are good, at least the 220 are, what say about the 210?)
  3. Yamaha NS 8390 FloorStanding speakers (auditioned them, loved them, although the highs are not that pleasant. are they worth paying 18K?)
  4. Yamaha Ns F150/DAli zensor 1/Sonodyne 2504 (A little out of budget and will eat into subwoofer budget, but well if it needs to be done it needs to be done)

Since i am using a T-amp, i need speakers with good sensitivity (i say 89 and up) so yeah the Dali, Warfdale and the sonodyne bs would be a little tough to drive, but my room is small and so i can live with moderate audio levels (do not plan on melting my ear drums anyway). Also worth mentioning is I will have to buy Speaker stands if i go for BS, so thats extra cost :'( , and that is why i am more inclined towards the NS 8390.

Any help would be nice :( , not being able to decide is the worst feeling when you have a part of the equipment ready.

Oh almost forgot.... My budget for the speakers - Idealy below 20k :D

*On a side note: Any one has any reviews on yamaha subwoofers :D, any other budget subs you might recomend :)

Sorry for the long post, and hello everyone once again.

Regards and Thanks to everyone in advance :thumbsup:,
AC

Hi

Since you are based in Bangalore, there are ample dealers who i am sure will offer competitive prices for the brands they sell.....

Would suggest you read the specs of towers within your budget (prices are available online) and audition those who sensitivity is 89db and above......

Audition with your kind of music and decide wisely......take your time....all the best

at that price, and the products you listed out, look at the wharfedale diamonds 220. am sure there will be a dealer in bangalore. though im not a bose fan, the bose 301's is a pretty good speaker as well

Hi,

220 was in audition in HT Store JP Nagar.
They have 210 in surrounds. You can request to use it for stereo and check 220 and 210 in same setup to compare.

220 is a good speaker.
I am not so sure how 210 will fair for main stereo listening.
May be suitable for small room or bedroom setup where it is space limited.

at that price, and the products you listed out, look at the wharfedale diamonds 220. am sure there will be a dealer in bangalore. though im not a bose fan, the bose 301's is a pretty good speaker as well

Not a fan of bose either, had a companion erlier, not saying it was bad, but i feel they are highly overhyped and overpriced. Will Check the 220, my only issue with them would be the sensitivity (86 is a bit low, theoretically i would get only about a 100db from my amp)

Hi,

220 was in audition in HT Store JP Nagar.
They have 210 in surrounds. You can request to use it for stereo and check 220 and 210 in same setup to compare.

220 is a good speaker.
I am not so sure how 210 will fair for main stereo listening.
May be suitable for small room or bedroom setup where it is space limited.

@sunilkm - thanks for the info, do you think they would be fine if i test it with my amp itself?

• any idea how the 220 compares with the psb alpha b1. they seem to be in the same price range. any psb delers in bangalore?
  • isnt there any speakers around 90db/w sensivity in this price range :'(

Almost impossible to find speakers of 89db in your budget, better not waste time on hunting for one.
For proper stereo stay away from the Yamaha models you have listed.
Forget about the subwoofer now, spend that on buying your speaker. It is almost a rule of thumb to overspend and reach for the next level when buying speakers. The idea is if you have 20k to spend on speakers then reach out and get the ones available in 30k (provided they outperform the options in 20k of course!), even if that means you have to fast for a couple of days. Why?
Speakers are the biggest differential factor in your setup and spend big once to stay happy with the right speakers for a long time. Otherwise you buy the one you think is right now and as your listening evolves and you mature listening-wise soon you will find that there is something more to be had from music and you are missing it. What happens then? You toss and turn and lose sleep....and then spend more to get the right speakers. Trust me, it is sure to happen and nothing can shield you from it.
Better to spend now and remain happy for a few years to come.

No idea about the amp you mentioned, whether it is bright or warm.....but my suggestion would be to look at Dali Zensor 3, fantastic speakers for their price.

Sonodyne 1501 or 2504 and Yamaha models will leave you thirsty after 2 months. ;)

@sunilkm - thanks for the info, do you think they would be fine if i test it with my amp itself?

• any idea how the 220 compares with the psb alpha b1. they seem to be in the same price range. any psb delers in bangalore?

Most of the bookshelf speakers in this price category have 86 to 88db sensitivity.
I am not so sure about it. You can contact HT Store and check if it is possible to check with your amp. You can check the below speakers there:
Wharfedale 220
Wharfedale 225 ( above your budget, but will be worth to demo )
Dali zensor 1
Dali zensor 3

Music Ranch, Jayanagar have a demo room with PSB, NAD etc.

Please post your demo experience

Not a fan of bose either, had a companion erlier, not saying it was bad, but i feel they are highly overhyped and overpriced. Will Check the 220, my only issue with them would be the sensitivity (86 is a bit low, theoretically i would get only about a 100db from my amp)

i wouldnt recommend the 901's. but i think the 301's being entry level, they have kept the price down. imo its good value.

generally you will find it difficult to come across bookshelves with higher sensitivity

Almost impossible to find speakers of 89db in your budget, better not waste time on hunting for one.
For proper stereo stay away from the Yamaha models you have listed.
Forget about the subwoofer now, spend that on buying your speaker. It is almost a rule of thumb to overspend and reach for the next level when buying speakers. The idea is if you have 20k to spend on speakers then reach out and get the ones available in 30k (provided they outperform the options in 20k of course!), even if that means you have to fast for a couple of days. Why?
Speakers are the biggest differential factor in your setup and spend big once to stay happy with the right speakers for a long time. Otherwise you buy the one you think is right now and as your listening evolves and you mature listening-wise soon you will find that there is something more to be had from music and you are missing it. What happens then? You toss and turn and lose sleep....and then spend more to get the right speakers. Trust me, it is sure to happen and nothing can shield you from it.
Better to spend now and remain happy for a few years to come.

No idea about the amp you mentioned, whether it is bright or warm.....but my suggestion would be to look at Dali Zensor 3, fantastic speakers for their price.

Sonodyne 1501 or 2504 and Yamaha models will leave you thirsty after 2 months. ;)

No way i can streach it to Zensor 3 territory, is the Zensor 1 not good? :confused: :( and my idea was 14-15k so i am already going beyond, and trust me if i have to let go of the sub for a set of good speakers, i will. Maybe after listning to the zensor 3 i will just hand my card to the store, will only know after auditioning. :D Thanks for the input. :)

Most of the bookshelf speakers in this price category have 86 to 88db sensitivity.
I am not so sure about it. You can contact HT Store and check if it is possible to check with your amp. You can check the below speakers there:
Wharfedale 220
Wharfedale 225 ( above your budget, but will be worth to demo )
Dali zensor 1
Dali zensor 3

Music Ranch, Jayanagar have a demo room with PSB, NAD etc.

Please post your demo experience

Thanks sunilkm, I can see that now, not too many speakers have high sensitivity in this range, trying to look for 88-89db, that should work for me, my listning room is small (2.7 x 2.1 x 3 = 17 cu. m. approx) so not too loud reqd. I will surely post when i audition some speakers as soon as i am back in bangalore, right now i am in germany and drooling over all kinds of HIFI speakers just lined up.... Magnat, Canton, B&O, Pioneer, KEF, ELAC, etc. etc. :D:eek:hyeah::clapping: you get the point. So, once i get back and start auditioning for my own speakers, i am gonna be so dissapointed.

i wouldnt recommend the 901's. but i think the 301's being entry level, they have kept the price down. imo its good value.

generally you will find it difficult to come across bookshelves with higher sensitivity

will give the bose a listen, not expecting much from them, i might be surprised though. Thanks for your input. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back