need suggestions on Wharfedale sub-woofers

sumeshj

Recently I bought the Denon 1610 AVR along with Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 fronts, 9.CS center and 9.DFS surrounds. I am now looking for a sub-woofer to complete my system.

In the Wharfedale lineup there are 3 subs that fit my budget (15K-20K): the SW-150, Powercube 12 and the Vardus 10. The Vardus is priced much less than the other two (it is 14K), and the price makes it very attractive. Does anyone here own the Vardus sub, and do you think it would be good enough for my setup? And how does the Powercube compare to the SW-150? The Powercube is 12", downfiring and goes down to 25 Hz, while SW-150 is 10", front firing and goes down only to 35 Hz. How much difference would this make in movies (such as the recent James Bond ones, Transformers, etc)?

I will be auditioning these subs soon, but frankly speaking I don't trust auditions done in the showroom because the sound wouldn't be the same at my home. Therefore looking for advice from all you guys here. Please help me with your valuable suggestions.

thanks!

Best way is go for audition it and then decide.
but SW150/250 are most recomanded one. but SW150 lies within your budget.
According to the WHATHIFI SW150 is one of the recomended one.
===================
For
Excellent value for money; plenty of weight and low-frequency presence; its a tidy looking unit, too
Against
Theres absolutely no reason to criticise it at this bargain price
==================
but do audition before choose :lol:.

Thanks kdlsrinu and vinsks. Yes I have read good reviews about SW-150, but the Wharfedale dealer here in Pune says that SW-150 is no good. He recommends the PowerCube, and in fact Vardus also over the SW-150. Therefore I am looking for more opinions.

Does anyone here own a PowerCube? It would be great if you can share your listening experience. And if someone has heard both SW-150 and PowerCube then please please advise me.

Thanks!

then you should ask dealer to gave you demo of all three.
else wait for our expert to advice

hai,i didnt listen vardus and power cube , but i am using SW-250.It is very good for music. very clean bass without any distorsion.i think SW-150 also in the same league.

what was the price you paid for the sw-250 ?

I think both sw-150 and sw-250 are sealed subwoofer to should have better sq than the other two models you speak about. If using for music these should be your choices.

If HT is primary use, thats what the dealer must be aiming at when he says other two are better than sw150.

I think both sw-150 and sw-250 are sealed subwoofer to should have better sq than the other two models you speak about. If using for music these should be your choices.

SW-150 is ported.

As you are already with Wharfedale speaker I would think that the SW150 would make a good match. I've been using this sub and it does sounds nice. Most of the reviews say that it's good music and just ok for HT. But for my HT I find it adequate and for the price(17.5k) I don't think there is anything better than this sub. Here's one such review from CNET,

During our listening tests, we mated the SW150 with the company's Diamond 9.1 bookshelf speakers, Diamond 9.CS center-channel speakers, and Diamond 9.5 towers. In its favor, the subwoofer didn't call attention to itself, blending seamlessly with the other speakers. It was an unusually adept musical performer; on acoustic bass, it evinced above-par pitch definition without any muddy boom.

Home-theater displays of bravado weren't as impactful as those of, say, JBL's or Klipsch's more dynamic performers. For example, when the tsunami crashes into Manhattan on the DVD The Day After Tomorrow, the SW150 failed to transmit the wave's force as powerfully as we'd have liked. We'd certainly give the sub a passing grade if we were to judge it solely on its deep bass extension and power, but it earns its highest marks for being a great team player with Wharfedale's tower and satellites.

My primary use for the sub-woofer would be HT. For music I am pretty satisfied with the bass of 9.2.

None of the budget subs (under 20K) go below 35 Hz. How much do you think this matters with action movies being watched in an acoustically untreated living room? What I mean is that I don't have a perfect room, and so would it make sense to strive for frequencies like 30 or even 25 Hz? What would I be missing if I choose, say SW150 that goes down only to 35 Hz, compared to the PowerCube 12+ that goes down to 30 Hz? Will gunshots and bomb explosions sound good enough on the SW150?

I know I should be auditioning these subs instead of asking questions here, but I would really like to hear the experiences of the people here when they were deciding on which sub to purchase.

Thanks!

Does anyone here own a PowerCube? It would be great if you can share your listening experience. And if someone has heard both SW-150 and PowerCube then please please advise me.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Both these are ported . Powercubes are downfiring and rear ported , SW150 is forward firing and reflex ported . SW150 have great punch . Power cubes go well with movies but lack that much of punch as SW series have . I feel SW series is good if your room size is limited. The problem with power cube series is that the floor of the room should be well carpeted.

Regards.

Dear Sumeshj, I am from a small town in Orissa and dont have the opportunity to audition the product. From whatever I learnt from this forum, finalising the same setup as yours, Denon 1610, Wharfdale 9.2, 9CS, 9DFS and SW150. I will be ordering for the setup except 9DFS and SW150 in a day or two. These two I will be buying later in a month or two when budget permits. As you are already using the setup, can you pls tell its performance starting from AV receiver to speakers. Thanks in adavance.

Recently I bought the Denon 1610 AVR along with Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 fronts, 9.CS center and 9.DFS surrounds. I am now looking for a sub-woofer to complete my system.

In the Wharfedale lineup there are 3 subs that fit my budget (15K-20K): the SW-150, Powercube 12 and the Vardus 10. The Vardus is priced much less than the other two (it is 14K), and the price makes it very attractive. Does anyone here own the Vardus sub, and do you think it would be good enough for my setup? And how does the Powercube compare to the SW-150? The Powercube is 12", downfiring and goes down to 25 Hz, while SW-150 is 10", front firing and goes down only to 35 Hz. How much difference would this make in movies (such as the recent James Bond ones, Transformers, etc)?

I will be auditioning these subs soon, but frankly speaking I don't trust auditions done in the showroom because the sound wouldn't be the same at my home. Therefore looking for advice from all you guys here. Please help me with your valuable suggestions.

thanks!

Sorry for reviving this old thread..but i have a similar setup (1610 +wharf 9.2 , 9cs, JBL surrounds) and planning to add the final piece a sub to my setup. I am v much inclined towards sw-150.

So what did you finally buy..sw-150? if yes, how is the performance with this setup. I am really concerned if 1610 can do Justice to sw-150 within this setup.

I have the SW150 with my 10.1s and is very musical and disappears with the front speakers. Not that good for movies.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back