Need to buy new Speakers and amplifier within 50k

Thanx gopi,Particleman

Well if i get Warfdale 9.1 (11.5k) ,Marantz CD-5001(14k) im left with arnd 20k for amplifier so Which one would be good deal CA 540A,NAD 355(What is the cost of it).
Do i need a sub with this??
@gopi.well right now i m finalizing on configuration.Once i do it ill check for the dealers in hyderabad.

Cheers
Sameer

Sameer,
NAD 355 has become really costly. Should be above 35k. So, that will push it out of your budget. However, the older NAD C352 might be cheaper less than 30k if you scout around. 540A should be 18k odd. Do you mind second hand. Regarding dealers in Hyderabad, my offer is still open and right now I am desperate to get the money back. So, you can really use this lovely oppurtunity and benefit easily :)

particleman, My thoughts on your suggestions if you don't mind.
If Sameer is fine second hand, then definitely, atleast for amp I say go that route. Regarding CA 540D, I have not heard it, so can't exactly speak for that player. But, I would like to point my observation. I compared my 5k Philips DVD player with Cambridge Audio 640C v2. No, I am not going to say there was no difference :) There was lots of difference. But, for me it wasn't like Cambridge is wow, instead it was Philips was doing pretty decent. I wasn't alone on this, we had 3 other people including the dealer. The bass in Cambridge was definitely better. There was more clarity and detail. But, Philips was musical as well. However, I have to point out that a Sony DVD player I compared was definitely not for me. It was all sharp sounds , that too jacked up so much. So, in short, my thought is a nice DVD player can compete pretty decent in a low fi system. Unless, we are talking about mid or real hifi system, a DVD player like the Cambridge one can still be a ticket. Also, there are some more niceties - first the single remote for amp/player. second the look matching if thats important. And anyway, it plays DVD's which is definitely a goody as you will anyway need atleast a normal DVD player in your house. So, for a Wharfedale 9.1, my thought it is 540D can be comparable to Marantz. Also, one thing I have noticed about Marantz CD5001 is that its bass lite for me. Regarding Mordaunt Short, I would say its detail oriented and definetly not warm unlike Wharfedales. I felt 9.1 was more like relax and listen while MS were more in your face. Given that Cambridge isn't warm, I would recommend pairing them with Wharfedale rather than MS. Just my thoughts, nothing personal :)

Sameer, Forgot about your question on Subwoofer. This is tricky. Only you can answer this question. I would recommend you to audition with and without and decide for yourself. However, this is going to bump your budget as well. A bare minimum 15k is needed I would say. Alternatively, you can think of floorstanders for that cost. But, all these would mean you need to hike your budget a little.
In short, if bought first hand, a nice entry level amp at 20k, a decent player at 15k, a decent entry bookshelf 15k, a decent entry floorstander 35k. So, pick something fresh and something second hand and you might make for a very good entry level setup slightly above your price.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back