Need urgent advice on Atmos Layout

Amarendra

Dear members,

I am currently running a 5.1 set up with Pioneer LX 302 AVR and Wharfedale Diamonds speaker package. I am using side surrounds which have been mounted about 3-4 feet above my head level (close to the ceiling). I am adding 2 atmos ceiling speakers and have ordered Taga Harmony in- ceiling speakers which will go into the ceiling above my seating position creating a 5.1.2 set up (mid Atmos layout). The ceiling speakers will replace the ceiling lights in my false ceiling.
My only worry is that the ceiling speakers for Atmos will be very close to the side surround speakers (mounted close to the ceiling) and the result may not be that great.

I have the following options and need your advice:
1. Move side surrounds lower which will come quite close to the seating position
2. Mount atmos ceiling speakers to the front of the room- replace front ceiling lights (above fronts).
3. Use book shelves such as Diamond 210 as front height speakers above my existing front speakers and assign them as Atmos height speakers.
4. continue with current plan of replacing rear ceiling lights with atmos/ ceiling speakers

As per Dolby when using only 1 pair of Atmos speakers, they have to be ideally mounted above the seating position.

Request your inputs and advice.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20171119_180648.jpg
    IMG_20171119_180648.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20171119_180659.jpg
    IMG_20171119_180659.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20171119_180716.jpg
    IMG_20171119_180716.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20171117_170225.jpg
    IMG_20171117_170225.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Taga harmony speakers which I plan to use:
TAGA - To Achieve Glorious Acoustics

How much does these speaker cost for a pair ?.. I have Taga TCI-100R as ceiling speakers..

I think it would be best to lower the surrounds to ear height and replace the lights with in-ceiling speakers near your listening position..

My listening position is very similar to yours..So i mounted the surrounds slightly in front of where it should be (ear level) and mounted the ceiling speakers in an enclosure above my listening position and using it as Top middle..

Your surrounds are too high. They should usually not be more than 2 feet above ear height when seated.
Go by your AVR manual. Also check the Dolby website. There's lots of setup information on the site.
This is from a relative noob. Wait for the experts like elangoas for more precise suggestions [emoji3]

Oh, he's already on to it [emoji16]

Hi nature lover, thanks, I saw Dolby etc but they talk about ideal situations which most of us are not ??

Split the gap between the fronts and surrounds, mount the heights at that location. Since that location is away from other speakers, sounds from the height speakers will never be confused with sound from the surround speakers (even when the surrounds are mounted high up).

Thanks Sanjay that's a good suggestion but I can mount just 2 atmos speakers which at least as per text book need to be above seating position.

I can mount just 2 atmos speakers which at least as per text book need to be above seating position.
You're going to end up finding them distracting. But it's your system. If the text book says to put them there, then do what you have to.

Just on fun side.....Actually Atmos system created to distract... We tend to see sound is coming there in(from) ceiling or surrounds or not...Then we are into music track and lost the track of the picture.

Just on fun side.....Actually Atmos system created to distract... We tend to see sound is coming there in(from) ceiling or surrounds or not...Then we are into music track and lost the track of the picture.
Yeah !!! may be but if we look in that way even Stereo mode also distract .
Imho if we place a right speaker on proper place with proper spl you feel that you are in that place.Thats called immersive [emoji4]

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Yeah !!! may be but if we look in that way even Stereo mode also distract .
Imho if we place a right speaker on proper place with proper spl you feel that you are in that place.Thats called immersive [emoji4]

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk
Agree,,,proper placement of speaker is important and 5k Speaker will sing like 5L speaker if properly placed

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Update:
Completed my Atmos set up yesterday. I managed to salvage my back lights by fixing the speakers slightly ahead of the lights. Tested with the usual Atmos sound clips. The sense of space is huge. Effects don't jump at me but the ceiling tends to disappear.
The bigger fun is using DTS neural X which converts standard DTS 5.1 into 5.1.2.
For those interested please read this
Listening Evaluation of DTS:X on the Denon AVR-X7200WA Receiver | Audioholics

Update:
Completed my Atmos set up yesterday. I managed to salvage my back lights by fixing the speakers slightly ahead of the lights. Tested with the usual Atmos sound clips. The sense of space is huge. Effects don't jump at me but the ceiling tends to disappear.

Could you share a picture after install..

The bigger fun is using DTS neural X which converts standard DTS 5.1 into 5.1.2.

Right.. Since most of my BR Rips have DTS (lossy) & some DTS-HDMA tracks, using Neural X is great.. Ceiling speakers are more active..

BTW, recently watched the movie Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Atmos BR Rip) and there were some specific scenes, where voices were coming thru over head speakers (The scene has some announcement on prof Audio)..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back