Neighbour friendly Subwoofer/ acoustics adjustments

arunlouie

Hello All,

After almost a decade of joining Hifivision forum I was able to get a proper Home theater setup. My setup is Marantz AVR with 7.1.4 setup in my apartment living room. This includes Subwoofer BIC Acoustic PL-200. Overall I like the sound of my setup for movies. But the problem is I am not able to enjoy my subwoofer full potential being in Apartment. The grunt that Subwoofer produces is equal to a cinema hall even at half the volume and this makes my neighbour grumpy.

I understand the issue cannot be completely ruled out being in an apartment, but what are the measurements I can take to minimize it.

My room has thick curtains on 3 sides. I hear the noise very low just outside my flat, so not troubling the same floor neighbours. I get complains only from the flat right below us. Though the subwoofer feet are very good rubber, not sure adding further dampening platform will help.

Please advice.

PS: Searched the forum, but couldn't find a thread for the same.

Hello All,

After almost a decade of joining Hifivision forum I was able to get a proper Home theater setup. My setup is Marantz AVR with 7.1.4 setup in my apartment living room. This includes Subwoofer BIC Acoustic PL-200. Overall I like the sound of my setup for movies. But the problem is I am not able to enjoy my subwoofer full potential being in Apartment. The grunt that Subwoofer produces is equal to a cinema hall even at half the volume and this makes my neighbour grumpy.

I understand the issue cannot be completely ruled out being in an apartment, but what are the measurements I can take to minimize it.

My room has thick curtains on 3 sides. I hear the noise very low just outside my flat, so not troubling the same floor neighbours. I get complains only from the flat right below us. Though the subwoofer feet are very good rubber, not sure adding further dampening platform will help.

Please advice.

You can place gym tiles on the floor.

Low frequency waves will push through concrete walls. Damping will only help tighten up bass notes.
It will not help reduce the energy of the sound wave. Only thick wall/corner absorbent material can do this to an extent.
The common issue in apartments, due to shared walls, is "thump-thump" outside of your room/house boundaries.
Reduce the level at which sub plays; yes it is a compromise.
Or invite your neighbors to watch movies with you :p

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Low frequency waves will push through concrete walls. Damping will only help tighten up bass notes.
It will not help reduce the energy of the sound wave. Only thick wall/corner absorbent material can do this to an extent.
The common issue in apartments, due to shared walls, is "thump-thump" outside of your room/house boundaries.
Reduce the level at which sub plays; yes it is a compromise.
Or invite your neighbors to watch movies with you :p

Cheers,
Raghu
Especially the ones who stay right below. You will never know. They might ask your help to build one for them.

Hello All,

Please advice.

1) Isolate the subwoofer from floor.
2) use near field subwoofer so that you can experience tactile bass at lower volumes.. However the subwoofer has to be crossed over at a lower frequency to avoid any kind of localisation.

Good luck

1) Isolate the subwoofer from floor.
2) use near field subwoofer so that you can experience tactile bass at lower volumes.. However the subwoofer has to be crossed over at a lower frequency to avoid any kind of localisation.

Good luck
Moving it near may not be option for me. Isolation I will try to have damping material as platform, but Raghu mentioned not sure how much it will help.

My current crossover is at 80hz and I drive my fronts with bookshelves.

With gym tiles vibration complains will reduce.. however any audible low frequency has to be addressed by sound proofing or reduction in volume..
Is the complain coming from above your floor or below your floor or ????

With gym tiles vibration complains will reduce.. however any audible low frequency has to be addressed by sound proofing or reduction in volume..
Is the complain coming from above your floor or below your floor or ????
The one from below!! And not every time. Last two times were both for Mad max fury ;) on different days. After that I am playing low.

The one from below!! And not every time. Last two times were both for Mad max fury ;) on different days. After that I am playing low.
Ask them if it's the vibrations or the noise..
Or maybe you can play mad Max again , go down and check..
If it's vibrations then the problem can be reduced to a good extent.

Dual subs maybe able to reduce bass null in your room of it was leading to a peak for your neighbour. There are some things to help if it is floor boom as well. Checkout this video from SVS

Decoupling methods may reduce the vibration only on Wood Floors but with concrete floors you won't feel much of a difference.

I suggest you to buy SOUNDBLANKET : MLV MASS LOADED VINYL from mmt acoustix, this is a high density sheet which can be laid on floor, varying thickness are available from 3mm to 12mm,buy 12 mm size for best isolation, this is an experiment so buy a quantity which can cover quarter of your room and place it under subwoofer such that it covers subwoofer completely and beyond.

Hello All,

Please advice.

Ive had the same issue...with down stairs neighbours knocking my door once. I've added speaker isolation, and that completely stopped the knocks. Bass really travels through the floor. Maybe you can try adding svs sound path isolators to your sub

Hello All,

Please advice.

Position the subwoofer as close to you as possible. That way, you don't have to pump up the gain as high as before to get the same kinda output at your listening position and the bass will be just as satisfying.

I suggest you to buy SOUNDBLANKET : MLV MASS LOADED VINYL from mmt acoustix, this is a high density sheet which can be laid on floor, varying thickness are available from 3mm to 12mm,buy 12 mm size for best isolation, this is an experiment so buy a quantity which can cover quarter of your room and place it under subwoofer such that it covers subwoofer completely and beyond.
This won't work for low frequencies

Decoupling methods may reduce the vibration only on Wood Floors but with concrete floors you won't feel much of a difference.
It will make difference.. For sure ..

Hello All,

Please advice.

Definitely, a 12inch driver will shake the walls. I'm using LCR. I want subwoofer but I didnt buy it as I'm staying in an apartment. I think sound path isolation is a good way to reduce it .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back