Neighbour friendly Subwoofer/ acoustics adjustments

Ive had the same issue...with down stairs neighbours knocking my door once. I've added speaker isolation, and that completely stopped the knocks. Bass really travels through the floor. Maybe you can try adding svs sound path isolators to your sub
Few questions,

I assume your apartment has concrete flooring?
Is it a high rise apartment or small one ? ( asking because for high rise apartment I noticed noise travel is lot less, may be because of heavy concrete)
You also used something like a SVS sound isolation path?
You have any other dampening material around the subwoofer? (carpet or acoustic walls nearby or at corners?)

My take in such situations is very different. I like to use 'standing waves' in such a place. The subwoofer should be placed in such a manner that it falls in one of the antinodes in the room. This will lead to reinforcing the sound within your room whereas the sound heard outside your room will not increase. All you need for this is a measuring tape for your room and then some quick calculations. Once you find the antinodes, try placing the sub there. If there is too much uncontrolled bass, move the sub from primary to any secondary antinode and try again. (Search on internet for standing waves and Modes). This method will give you good bass performance for a set of frequencies and their harmonics depending on your room size. Try and experiment, there's no expense involved here!

Also for the best sound from your speakers, use the opposite of the above. Calculate your room's standing waves and place your speakers so that they are not in a position to add to any already existing antinodes. You can use this method to control any problematic frequency as well if you have a frequency analyzer at your disposal.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back