NetBook - Which one to buy ? Confused !!

deba

Dear All,

Just planning to buy a Netbook but really confused which one to go for. It will mainly be used for Net Surfing and emailing / Writing Letters and Spreadsheets / Listening Music and SIMPLE Image and Audio Editing.

Please suggest any model.

Thanks.

Dear All,

Just planning to buy a Netbook but really confused which one to go for. It will mainly be used for Net Surfing and emailing / Writing Letters and Spreadsheets / Listening Music and SIMPLE Image and Audio Editing.

Thanks.

A relative of mine who's an experienced power user uses the Samsung NC10, and really likes it a lot. In general, I have heard very good things about this model as well, and this model has good build quality for a netbook.

This will also be sufficient for your stated usage needs, and has one of the better keyboards among other netbooks, some of which have really tiny and badly implemented keyboards.

I recently bought ASUS EEE PC 900 HA
With 2 GB ram ( 1 GB orignal Ram replaced ) i got it for 14500

It is outdated model but I was looking for smallest possible lap and looking for screen less than 10inch ,it was8.9 Inch so I bought is , it s very small

Now what is your budget and requirements, any size constraints,performance requirements too?

Samsung netbooks seems good

also s check MSI too they have introduced some 12 Inch /13 Inch laptops with one AMD processor or Dual coe processor and they are superlight

Upto 23 K it is good choice

eBay India: MSI X340 Slim Laptop 13" LED 2GB 320GB Win7H WiFi WCam (item 220585235537 end time 07-May-2010 05:11:38 IST)

eBay India: MSI U210 LAPTOP 12" with 1 year warranty (item 320456436355 end time 30-Apr-2010 16:25:50 IST)

I am also using Samsung NC10 for occasional use for last one year and very happy with it.

I dropped it by mistake 15 days ago and broke a part of it including on/off switch.

Yet to send it to the service center, but it is still running fine. I just have to short 2 points (on/off) with my car keys. :p

I have the ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005PE . Solid shell design (very hard), and great screen resolution.
It has been able to run my Squeezeserver WITH the Inguz equalizer and room correction plug in without any issues

Not exactly a netbook, but if you are okay with slightly larger screen you should look at Dell Vostro v13.

How about the Dell Inspiron Mini 10 NoteBook......seems to have a good specification at Rs16000/- only......

How about the Dell Inspiron Mini 10 NoteBook......seems to have a good specification at Rs16000/- only......

+1 ..waiting for opinions..

There are 2 configurations available on Dell india website

15900/- for Xp home, 160 GB HDD, 6 cell battery
16900/- for Win7 Starter, 250 GB HDD, 6 cell battery

prices are inclusive of all tax and delivery charges extra..

How good are Dell Mini 10 netbooks???

Deba,
were you able to make up your mind on the netbook selection?
If yes. Please share which one you selected.

I am also searching for a netbook and followed this thread closely..
I require this for my wife.. she needs it for normal web surfing, skype video calls and pdf ebook reading.
I have shortlisted Dell mini 10 and MSi x340 (23K ebay)..
Need to decide between the two.

Please suggest..

-Alok

check out Top 10 netbooks shootout : Top 10 Netbooks : PC world

sadly, most of the models are yet to come to India.
Sellers are selling all outdated and old models.

I am using Lenovo IdeaPad S10=2 for which now there is S10-3 and a touch screen version S10-3t like a tablet.
So I would vote for Lenovo, Dell , HP and lastly MSI for netbooks.

I would not recommend netbooks for spreadsheets or any office type of usage - 2 reasons system resources and also screen size. Its best for web browsing and listening to music -one at a time.

But they are very very mobile and worth if you want a simple PC to carry about.

Netbooks are very convenient to carry around. For most day to day operations they are more than adequate. When you buy a netbook make sure it has the 6 hour battery. Quite a few of the manufacturers have been offering netbooks in India in the price range of 15K to 16K. I have been using an acer netbook for the last 6 months without any problem.

P.N. reddy

Dear All,

Thanks.

Hi,

The Dell Inspiron Mini series is a good option for your usage, though your last 2 options of Image/Audio will be a little burden on a Netbook's, may be you will need a slightly better laptop for that purpose.

I use a Dell Inspiron Mini 12, for Internet/d'loading purpose only. But can also be used for some office related work like ExcellSheet's, PPT's etc....
(i dont use it for office purposes, cause for my office related work my min requirement is a QuadCore:)). It's easy to carry, looks elegant, sturdy model, slim enough, good battery life, and my laptop it running 24/7 for the past 18 months without any trouble.

cheers.

I would not recommend netbooks for spreadsheets or any office type of usage - 2 reasons system resources and also screen size. Its best for web browsing and listening to music -one at a time.

But they are very very mobile and worth if you want a simple PC to carry about.

.....but to carry out MS Word and Excel you dont need a very powerful system resource , I think Atom is good at it with 1GB RAM........and the 10inch screen is not that bad when our priority is mobility.......My brother is an Architect and he is using AutoCAD 2006 in his Asus Eee PC Notebook.........and it works.........:cool:)

Last edited:
I am looking for anything with 16:10 screen not 16:9. unfortunately manufacturer's behave like TV programmers and decide what the public "want" hence the production for 16:10 panels is on the decline.

16:9 for work related viewing is the most ridiculous idea I have come across in tech.

If you encounter, during your search, any device with 16:10 screen let me know :)

Cheers

I am looking for anything with 16:10 screen not 16:9. unfortunately manufacturer's behave like TV programmers and decide what the public "want" hence the production for 16:10 panels is on the decline.

16:9 for work related viewing is the most ridiculous idea I have come across in tech.

If you encounter, during your search, any device with 16:10 screen let me know :)

Cheers

Hey Gobble;

Did you perhaps mean 4:3? AFAIK, panel TVs & laptop panels are usually 16:9, but LCD monitors are mostly 16:10 nowadays.

However, most business users - including graphics & DTP guys - prefer big 4:3 or 5:4 displays. Easier for documents, spreadsheets & presentations... but they're thin on the ground now, cos they're not "cool" any more :rolleyes:

Oh, and besides the "widescreen" marketing hype, there's a cost factor involved. A diagonally-measured 19" 4:3 screen has significantly more real estate than a 19" 16:9, so the latter are cheaper to make!

+1 ..waiting for opinions..

There are 2 configurations available on Dell india website

15900/- for Xp home, 160 GB HDD, 6 cell battery
16900/- for Win7 Starter, 250 GB HDD, 6 cell battery

prices are inclusive of all tax and delivery charges extra..

How good are Dell Mini 10 netbooks???

Deba,
were you able to make up your mind on the netbook selection?
If yes. Please share which one you selected.

I am also searching for a netbook and followed this thread closely..
I require this for my wife.. she needs it for normal web surfing, skype video calls and pdf ebook reading.
I have shortlisted Dell mini 10 and MSi x340 (23K ebay)..
Need to decide between the two.

Please suggest..

-Alok

Get the X340 eyes closed. I got it for my FIL and he cannot be more happy. For a demo, drop in.

I have the netbook of hcl brand, please be guided that my experience has been very bad in terms of quality and service.

V.

Back