Netflix India launch

I think Netflix like streaming services will succeed in India only if they can provide the latest movies like in US. Otherwise it will be another Reliance type of a venture which will not succeed and just fade away. In fact people will back away from Torrents if they can provide the latest movies or at least 2 or 3 month releases available in good 5.1 channel HD quality. Looking forward to launch in India as I have seen the quality they offer in US :clapping:

Netflix needs a high bandwidth connection, which are costly in India, if the internet prices come down or they offer some special connections only for netflix at a reasonable rate then yes it would succeed and I will definitely take one.

Netflix needs a high bandwidth connection, which are costly in India, if the internet prices come down or they offer some special connections only for netflix at a reasonable rate then yes it would succeed and I will definitely take one.

No I think most of the metro cities now a days have good high bandwidth broadband connections at a far lesser price compared to couple of years back. I am using a 25-30 mbps connection for Rs.1120/- including tax (unlimited usage :) ) and the average download speed comes around 11-14 mbps most of the times and peaks to 20+ in the late nights. We have multiple options at least in Bangalore for 25 to 40 mbps connections at reasonable prices.

Anyone has used hooq.tv?No idea about how good their catalog really is but their pricing at 199 looks really attractive.

Last edited:
Yeah then you are setup nicely, bad luck for us though, I will tell you what kolkata faces. We have these local isp who provide unlimited connections , there are high speed lines but they cost around 1500 to 2000 rs. The main downside is that the connections experience heavy losses. And these are area specific monopoly so you cant switch to another provider.

Netflix as a brand has tremendous value. But yes adequate bandwith at reasonable cost is going to play a crucial role. I have also seen Netflix in USA and I can say that I am looking froward to seeing it here. The so called fair usage policy of net providers may be a stumbling block here.

No I think most of the metro cities now a days have good high bandwidth broadband connections at a far lesser price compared to couple of years back. I am using a 25-30 mbps connection for Rs.1120/- including tax (unlimited usage :) ) and the average download speed comes around 11-14 mbps most of the times and peaks to 20+ in the late nights. We have multiple options at least in Bangalore for 25 to 40 mbps connections at reasonable prices.

Which ISP is that??? I'm on 16mbps Airtel connection for which I'm paying an arm and a leg...

Strangely, my post from this morning does not seem to have been saved. I am wondering about the censorship, which I suppose would apply to any official India based broadcaster.
I too am faced with very limited options re. broadband, at least in the area of Pune that I am living.

Which ISP is that??? I'm on 16mbps Airtel connection for which I'm paying an arm and a leg...

I am using BBNL which is a private broadband provider similar like ACT. I think its present in limited areas within Bangalore. So check out their site if it is present in your area. It seems that they are location specific and each of the private players do not enter into other areas and its really funny that the ACT broadband is present the other side of my apartment but BBNL isn't :lol:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back