New buyer , please guide

ravirao

Hi all ,

I read many posts but didn't get answers to my specific questions .

I have a simple requirement :

I just bought a LCD TV , I need to buy a Home Theater system for it now.

I was looking at different HTBs and I always had this doubt.

If I buy a philips HTS4750/98 can I use those speakers to see normal channels like espn , hbo etc..

I never want to use my Tvs speakers , I always want my home theater speakers to work for me .

Can any one of you guide me what kind of system I should buy so that I can use my speakers all the time my tv is on (cable , movies etc)

Budget is around 35k.

thanks ..

I am open to all suggestions..

thanks
ravi

Hi Ravirao,

Which LCD have you bought?

If the philips HTB has an input RCA connect, then certainly you can listen to all your channels thru the HTB.

Do look at some of the Sony HTB also, they are pretty good. The better ones start aound 17K.

Alternatively, if you can increase your budget, then you could look a seperates.

ENJOY

I never want to use my Tvs speakers , I always want my home theater speakers to work for me .

Can any one of you guide me what kind of system I should buy so that I can use my speakers all the time my tv is on (cable , movies etc)

Ravi, all HTIB and AV receivers have a socket where you can connect a TV (RF) cable directly. You can tune the channels also. If you are using a STB, it will have a composite or component out. Connect the appropriate cable from the STB to the AVR or HTIB.

You now use a component or HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV. The AVR/HTIB will receive the TV signals and then transmit it to the TV. In addition, the AVR/HTIB will also process the sound and send it to the speakers connected to the AVR/HTIB. Just keep the TV in mute.

You can do this with any decent AVR/HTIB. So the choice of which one to pick up should be done based upon your auditioning them and deciding which one your purse and ears like.

Cheers

Thanks a lot guys .!

Also I am very new to this HT systems .

Can you guys give me some model number which are good in my price range and then I can audition them and choose one

thank you ..you guys are great

Best buy with your Bugget will be-
Onkyo 3100 or 3105 with LG DV388.
Combo will cost 25k or more

thank you once again .

what do you guys think of the philips 4750 , is the onkyo better ?

also one store is offering me a pioneer reciever + dvd player + Space 5.1 speakers for 35k .. good deal ? worth it..

sorry i have lot of questions , but i really want the right worth for my money

thank you once again .

what do you guys think of the philips 4750 , is the onkyo better ?

also one store is offering me a pioneer reciever + dvd player + Space 5.1 speakers for 35k .. good deal ? worth it..

sorry i have lot of questions , but i really want the right worth for my money

Onkyo is master in HT system,but Pioneer also a good choice.
Check the speci of both ,listen & decide.

Ravi,

You just cannot go wrong with an Onkyo, even the entry level 3100/3105 give great sound FX. Not sure about connectivity options for the Philips 4750, but some rate it high on this forum. Give both a listen, also check connectivity options for the Philips and then decide. Onkyo 3100/3105 (around 20K) have enough connection inputs so you can use the Onkyo HT system for DVDP, TV, STB/cable, etc. for listening to everything via your HT system, but I am not really sure you will want to do it long time. The audio quality coming from our cable/analog signals are not really that great and outputting them via the HT system only makes them louder but does not improve the SQ in anyway. Audio from STB like Tata Sky is only slightly better but not that great either. You will only notice the sound FX when DTS/Dolby Digital kick in when playing DVDs or Divx rips in AC3. Don't expect your HT system to work a miracle and give you theater sound FX for our TV channels.

thank you once again !!

you guys have helped me a lot .

the Audio visual expert in my city says buy a system from me , I will give you pioneer receiver and paradigm speakers and that experience is 10 times better than Onkyo HTBs.

Model numbers :

pioneer vsx518 reciever
paradigm cinema70 - speakers/sub
pioneer 410 dvd player

He is presently not having a audition for that system , but he is experienced in that field.

What say ? is he right.

what should be the ideal price for such a system incase i decide to buy this

Last edited:
thank you once again !!

You are welcome!!!

the Audio visual expert in my city says buy a system from me , I will give you pioneer receiver and paradigm speakers and that experience is 10 times better than Onkyo HTBs.

He is presently not having a audition for that system , but he is experienced in that field.

What say ? is he right.

No such thing as an expert in the AV field. Sound is subjective and what sounds good to your ears might not sound good to others. I love A. R. Rahman's sound, but others in my family do not. I love booming bass, but my friends who are rock aficionados like the sound of rock guitar and treble/HFE.

Most importantly never buy without listening/testing out for yourself. You would not buy clothes from a mall without trying them out would you? Even in a sweet shop we taste before ordering the sweets right?

pioneer vsx518 reciever
pioneer 410 dvd player

I cannot say about Pioneer AVR. I can vouch for Onkyo, Yamaha AVRs having used both. Denon too is a good buy.

Paradigm are good speakers.

Pioneer DVDP are good. I think the Pioneer 610 is used by a lot of members on this forum and rated highly too. I am not sure about pricing, I am sure other members will help with the pricing for 410/610 and also their views on it.

Finally, how much are you quoted for this system? Give a breakup of how much for the receiver, speakers/subwoofer, DVDP, etc. Based on that I am sure a lot of helpful members on this forum will give great inputs for better VFM products or give the go ahead for these products itself.

Ravi,

How is Nagpur now? Not been there in a long time...

BTW I was born in Nagpur and so was my sister, my sister did her law there too and even my brother in law has business there.

thank you once again !!

Model numbers :

pioneer vsx518 reciever
pioneer 410 dvd player

What say ? is he right.

what should be the ideal price for such a system incase i decide to buy this

pioneer vsx518 is a very basic receiver with support for 5.1. There is nothing wrong about it and should fit your needs very well. Its a good fit with the paradigms.

The paradigms are excellent Satellite speaker set. People who own them are happy. The company is viewed very favourably by AV enthusiasts like us.

The DV-410 is also a basic DVD player and should do its job reasonably well.

It will be interesting to see what pricing "your friend" offers.

Also, this setup wont beat HTiBs by very much though there will be a difference for the better.

Are you getting any stands with the speakers by any chance? Otherwise you have to think of having to place them around you.

pioneer vsx518 is a very basic receiver with support for 5.1. There is nothing wrong about it and should fit your needs very well. Its a good fit with the paradigms.

The paradigms are excellent Satellite speaker set. People who own them are happy. The company is viewed very favourably by AV enthusiasts like us.

The DV-410 is also a basic DVD player and should do its job reasonably well.

It will be interesting to see what pricing "your friend" offers.

Also, this setup wont beat HTiBs by very much though there will be a difference for the better.

Are you getting any stands with the speakers by any chance? Otherwise you have to think of having to place them around you.

he is charging me

pioneer vsx518 - 18000Rs
paradigm cinema70 23000Rs
pioneer 410 dvd -5500Rs

and this is his discounted price , and he is no friend :) just a dealer who deals in Audio Visual

he is also offering a denon avr1509 for 21000rs..

Any advice?

Ravi,

How is Nagpur now? Not been there in a long time...

BTW I was born in Nagpur and so was my sister, my sister did her law there too and even my brother in law has business there.

Ohh grt , nice to hear that . I can bet you will be very surprised to see the present day Nagpur, lots of development , Malls , etc coming up..

he is charging me

pioneer vsx518 - 18000Rs
paradigm cinema70 23000Rs
pioneer 410 dvd -5500Rs

and this is his discounted price , and he is no friend :) just a dealer who deals in Audio Visual

he is also offering a denon avr1509 for 21000rs..

Any advice?

Its coming to near 50K. While I have not heard the Pioneer AVR and have heard Paradigm (which are quite good), and the Pioneer 410 is not rated high...

An Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 Channel which is more powerful would cost around 37-38K and you could go for a better DVDP like the Pioneer 610 which is quite popular here. You would end up with a more powerful system, a better DVDP and a 7.1 system over a 5.1 system.

Its coming to near 50K. While I have not heard the Pioneer AVR and have heard Paradigm (which are quite good), and the Pioneer 410 is not rated high...

An Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 Channel which is more powerful would cost around 37-38K and you could go for a better DVDP like the Pioneer 610 which is quite popular here. You would end up with a more powerful system, a better DVDP and a 7.1 system over a 5.1 system.

where can I buy a HT s5100 , i dont find any dealers in nagpur :(

Ravi,

As Moser said, the best and most important expert as far as you are concerned, are your own ears. We can do product comparison technically and in terms of price, but you HAVE to audition the system before you cut a cheque.

Since you are taking so much effort, never buy a product without a personal audition.

Cheers

Could not locate for Nagpur specifically, but here is a listing for Maharashtra. Check if any would be near to you...

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

Yups I had chked out their website before , but thanks lot for the link :)

My only concern is I don't want to travel to mumbai and audition for a system and then dont feel like buying it ..

can any of you guys owning a onkyo 5100 , comment on the sound system , room size and your usage , can i hook that to my TV and use it for channels like HBO etc which are digital . thanks

Ravi, all HTIB and AV receivers have a socket where you can connect a TV (RF) cable directly. You can tune the channels also. If you are using a STB, it will have a composite or component out. Connect the appropriate cable from the STB to the AVR or HTIB.

You now use a component or HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV. The AVR/HTIB will receive the TV signals and then transmit it to the TV. In addition, the AVR/HTIB will also process the sound and send it to the speakers connected to the AVR/HTIB. Just keep the TV in mute.

You can do this with any decent AVR/HTIB. So the choice of which one to pick up should be done based upon your auditioning them and deciding which one your purse and ears like.

Cheers

When it comes to HTIB I prefer Sony and I don't think Sony has RF input...
But you sure can use your TV's audio out (RCA L & R connectors) to connect it to the auxillary in of your HTIB, then your HTIB will process the sound for you.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back