New Dual 1224 TT with old / foreign plug. Can I change it?

Mikkybgs

Hi all,

I'm new here so firstly, Hello!
I appreciate any / all help or comments offered.

I have recently purchased a Dual vintage turntable that looks to be in nice condition.
Only thing is, it has a type of plug I have never seen before.
The plug says 'LITEMASTER. MADE IN R.S.A. 5AMP 250V.'

So from this im assuming it is a South African plug?
it looks pretty old and only has one prong coming off it with a smaller screw sticking out too.

The cable is made up of two wires so my question is could I rewire it to a uk plug?
would I need to earth it?

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• 20150708_141804.jpg
    20150708_141804.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20150708_141856.jpg
    20150708_141856.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 74
I can only say that both RSA and UK have the same domestic voltage (230V) and Frequency (50 hz). So there should not be a problem on these two counts. You would have to, however, change the plug to suit the UK socket. As regards earthing, I am not sure, but you can rest assured, other FMs would chip in.

I can only say that both RSA and UK have the same domestic voltage (230V) and Frequency (50 hz). So there should not be a problem on these two counts. You would have to, however, change the plug to suit the UK socket. As regards earthing, I am not sure, but you can rest assured, other FMs would chip in.

Hello, and thank you for the reply.

I will wire it up to a UK plug but I just want to make sure I don't cause a fire first!

As the cable is all the same and the wires are not coloured is there an easy way to distinguish which is live and which is neutral?

And if anyone can help me on earthing it I'd be much obliged.

If it was not provided in the original plug, you need not worry of providing one now. Go ahead and just replace with a 2 pin UK plug.

Cheers.

Hello, and thank you for the reply.

I will wire it up to a UK plug but I just want to make sure I don't cause a fire first!

As the cable is all the same and the wires are not coloured is there an easy way to distinguish which is live and which is neutral?

And if anyone can help me on earthing it I'd be much obliged.

We have been using quite a few TTs with 2 wires plug only.

AFAIK use of two pin plugs is illegal in UK with the exception of some appliances like shavers and toothbrushes. British standard BS 1363 stipulates use of a three wire grounded and fused plug for connecting equipment to mains. This is the first item shown on this page.
Leads Direct | Mains Wiring

My suggestion to the OP shall be to replace the power cord with a three wire cable, earth the motor/top plate and fix a proper British three pin plug as above on it.

To open the turntable, follow the instructions in this link.
How to open Dual turntables for servicing - Vinyl Engine

To provide protective earth, go through the instructions here.
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=71.0
Although these are for a Lenco turntable, they are equally valid for a Dual.

HTH

Wow, the last time I saw a plug like this was when I was a kid. We had an old light for the holy picture at home, which was connected to the mains with a plug just like this. My grandmother used to tell me that the light was from her father's days so you may have an old-time vintage colonial bakelite plug here. Sure it would not have come standard with your dual turntable. May have been fitted on later.

Its just that one screw-pin is missing. Please attempt to find one similar (you can probably salvage it from an old plug), screw it back and use this same plug. It won't fit your regular UK 240 volts 2-pin mains wall outlet, you may need to get an adaptor. Go slow on it as the Bakelite may crack if you tighten the pins, too hard.

Hi all,

I'm new here so firstly, Hello!
I appreciate any / all help or comments offered.

I have recently purchased a Dual vintage turntable that looks to be in nice condition.
Only thing is, it has a type of plug I have never seen before.
The plug says 'LITEMASTER. MADE IN R.S.A. 5AMP 250V.'

So from this im assuming it is a South African plug?
it looks pretty old and only has one prong coming off it with a smaller screw sticking out too.

The cable is made up of two wires so my question is could I rewire it to a uk plug?
would I need to earth it?

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back