New forum moderator required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious !!!!!

If anybody can quote some names whom they think surely or suspicious that they are dealers:p or like selling only for making money here.

As you asked I am telling,i suspect ******* who is selling blurays at a premium price.
I just suspect not accuse him.

Last edited:
Even I've the same opinion, if someone is buying loads of stuff from UK and then selling here just make profit (otherwise how can you explain 30-40 BD's which are not even opened) should be selling them under dealer section by paying the fee required. If it's just a matter of 2-3 discs then I can understand that they might've bought some extra by impulse and now want to sell, but having the whole lot of so many unopened BD's/DVD's doesn't sound right to me. By this I don't mean to say that they should not sell, it's their item and they can sell at any price, but sell them at the right forum i.e. Dealer's sale section. And if someone is selling in owner's sale section then I feel we also should be allowed to post the actual price of such items in that thread. Just my thoughts.

I agree with doors666's and Sid's view. The market can and will take care of itself as can be seen in the recent Denon amp thread. Overpriced items either don't sell or take longer to sell which really is the seller's problem.

Like any market, "Caveat emptor" meaning "Let the buyer beware". http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

The buyer should do his research/homework before buying. Homework includes searching the forum/internet and starting a thread for views. No point in calling ourselves a community if we support the buyer and not the seller(who is a member too)

Just curious !!!!!

If anybody can quote some names whom they think surely or suspicious that they are dealers:p or like selling only for making money here.

Srini, I would not like to mention names but i can assure you that there are several dealers (which by itself is not wrong) on this forum like in any other eco-system - hiding behind the veil of "audiophile", "AV enthusiast", "upgradeitis patient" etc:). It is not always difficult to identify them.

Atleast 100 post should be posted by a member to start a for sale thread which should not include the posts posted in for sale thread.

Hi Santhosh,

I find no harm if the seller is quoting a very reasonable price for the good product.

N.Murali

As you asked I am telling,i suspect XXXX who is selling blurays at a premium price.
Not the right thing to do buddy, suggest you edit your post and put XXXX. Report suspicious activity to mods.

I am sure Srini was just joking.

Interesting and I think a very meaningful discussion. What if we say that a thread in For Sale By Owners should not have more than 5 items for sale? AND, if we see the same member repeating the same item (such as BR) in more than 2 threads, he will be stopped from participating in any sale thread?

Cheers

Last edited:
Interesting and I think a very meaningful discussion. What if we say that a thread in For Sale By Owners should not have more than 5 items for sale. AND, if we see the same member repeating the same item (such as BR) in more than 2 threads, he will be stopped from participating in any sale thread?

Cheers

Awesome picking sirgi,way to go.

Why cant we open an "Exclusive thread":yahoo: to comment on the price of For Sale thread. So all the discussion in one thread:p that too can be cleaned by mod occasionally if found unnecessary.

I was also thinking about that option. A separate thread for analyzing and criticizing 'For Sale' threads.

Interesting and I think a very meaningful discussion. What if we say that a thread in For Sale By Owners should not have more than 5 items for sale? AND, if we see the same member repeating the same item (such as BR) in more than 2 threads, he will be stopped from participating in any sale thread?

Cheers

This will work, but if someone wants to genuinely sell more than 5 items, he/she will need to open multiple threads. Instead, mods can check the thread, as per usual, and clear it if it does not flout any rules.

If the Blu-ray mega-thread type thing starts to happen, mods can step in and lock the thread and warn the user. I see that one of the members in question has already been warned twice in the same thread for two different violations. Maybe the next one can earn him a temp-ban which can also serve as a reminder to others?

As you asked I am telling,i suspect ******* who is selling blurays at a premium price.

Srini, I would not like to mention names but i can assure you that there are several dealers (which by itself is not wrong) on this forum like in any other eco-system - hiding behind the veil of "audiophile", "AV enthusiast", "upgradeitis patient" etc:). It is not always difficult to identify them.

Not the right thing to do buddy, suggest you edit your post and put XXXX. Report suspicious activity to mods.

I am sure Srini was just joking.

My small brian didn't picked that srini was kidding.

NOPE.. I am serious and curious too. Not an joke.. If bloody(sorry) so much discussion is going on about sales thread, Why not accusing members should not mention accused members name:p

There is a common word called "Sorry". If the member is proved he is not, accusing member can ask the same to accused member.

(1) SMS Lingo to be restricted

AGREED baring few exceptions, which are not SMS lingo but forum lingo, like OP for Original Poster, AFA (As far as) or AFAIK. ASAP etc, what should not be allowed is SMS anguage like .... "ur 4m Delhi or wht????"

(2) Change colour scheme (the possibility of this will be evaluated by SuperMod)

Nice change to have

(3) Make it more user friendly for mobile devices? (again to be evaluated by SuperMod)

Again Nice to have

(4) Discussion or posts that add no value should be deleted. I would like some suggestions on how to do this. The only way I can see is to either block all posts for approval, or ruthlessly delete posts that I think are useless. The second method will generate a wave of anger and frustration.

See this is pretty subjective, and I will go with "Thad E Ginathom" posts here ...... as you said ruthlessly deleting can create frustration and anger and we sure dont want that ...... As I see the situation is pretty much okie ATM. and not much changes needed ... ofcourse if the mod see the thread entirely going out of track and the relevant discussion is becoming too side lined, mods can just drop in and request member to stay on track ..... this is a bit tricky situation and its up to the mod's,,errrrrrr .... what do you say ...."Peoples management skills" ... :D ..... how he manages the traffic here

(5) Threads started on existing topics should be merged. Threads in wrong section should be moved into the right section. This way we'll have organised information rather than diluted information all over the place. Agreed. May take time, but will see if we can do this forum by forum. Needs a lot of time.

mmmm the way I see it, this should depend on the content as well, say a person wants a suggestion for a LED TV. Well yes there must be loads of threads discussing the same, but if the query is very specific or the information shared is worth and does deserve a thread, we can leave it .... again it would be the MODs that can decide if this does deserves a thread ....

(6) We should have stricter rules for 'trash' posts. Agreed. Will work with SuperMod to enhance the rule book.

Well same as 4 I guess

(9) Posts by new members to be moderated before they appear. Agreed, but how do you measure new members? Less than 100 posts. less than 6 months on the forum. Remember there are members with a membership age of two years but less than 10 posts. How do you measure them?

I'd say number of posts and the time frame as well, coz if you keep just number of posts, a user tendency might become to post here and there in all possible threads just to "reach" that post limit ASAP..... so it should be something like ....atleast 2 month(s) and min 100 posts (numbers can be decided by mods)....

(10) Remove all posts that are of no substantial value to a thread. Repeat offenders get infracted, temporarily banned and then perma-banned. (Eg. best wishes for your sale etc). Agreed. Same as (4).

Its same as 4 here, but this "best wishes for your sale" has been dragged here a bit too much .... I'd say a couple of posts like these should be tolerable, but if this becomes a habit and is frivolously sprayed all across threads then ofcourse warning is justified ......

(11) Ensure all posts are written in non-SMS, English language. Repeat offenders get infracted, temporarily banned and then perma-banned. Agreed.

Same as 1st I guess

(12) Disallow cross-posting. It's part of the rules but I've seen many people open threads in different sub-forums to get exposure. Repeat offenders get infracted, temporarily banned and then perma-banned. Agreed.

Yes that is something that shouldn't be allowed, instead of just deleting the cross posted thread, MODs should first merge the contents in one thread and then delete the other.

(13) Disallow new threads for existing topics. There must be a hundred threads about TVs in the 40K range. If everything lives in the same thread, the information get collated automatically. New members who default can be informed and senior members can be infracted. Agreed.

Pretty similar to 5 ...... again

(14) Please remove the 'more than three letters' and 'minimum 30 sec' limitations in forum search. May not be possible due to software / application limitation. To check with SuperMod.

This is common in many forums ..... but anyway its up to mods if they wanna keep it or find a way to remove it

Another idea that has been floating around in my mind is that of a Forum Monitor. We can take interested members to be Monitors for the forum who will bring troublesome posts and threads to the attentions of the moderators. We can create a communication methodology for immediate attention. After a while, seeing the interest of the Monitors and their consent, we can make them full time moderators. The reason I am brining this up is because 'Report Threads' is not working at all. I see no threads being reported. For example, I was shocked recently to see a open fight going on in a thread on projectors, and I discovered it by chance when I was going through the lengthy thread.

That is actually how it should be ..... but again there should be some post n time limit for this position as well along with the MOD position.......in a similar manner we will have for new comers ......A user cannot be a monitor unless he has atleast 800 posts in his kitty and have been a member for say 6-8 months ....... then he is eligible for being a Monitor ..... for a MOD position not only we need post and time criteria (which can be say 1500 posts and min 15-16 months .... as I said numbers can be decided by MODs themselves) but also it should be seen how influential the person is on the forum and how much has he contributed, how much time can he devote/devotes ...... ...... this can be judged by the number or thanks received, the repo of the user plus number of articles/reviews shared .... etc etc ..... FINALLY the users who would pass all the criteria the super MODS can make a list and put it on public poll on HIFI. The final MOD can be decided by the users themselves self who would poll, and it would be among the users that the sup mod has decided .........

Last edited:
I agree with doors666's and Sid's view. The market can and will take care of itself as can be seen in the recent Denon amp thread. Overpriced items either don't sell or take longer to sell which really is the seller's problem.

Like any market, "Caveat emptor" meaning "Let the buyer beware". Caveat emptor

The buyer should do his research/homework before buying. Homework includes searching the forum/internet and starting a thread for views. No point in calling ourselves a community if we support the buyer and not the seller(who is a member too)
Well said Santosh. I fully support unmasking people selling hundreds of DVD/BD and reporting to the mods. But that is not all that is happening.
Somehow, people seem to gang up on sellers. Not everyone is selling 100 BD disks. There seem to be a lot of "drive by shooting" in some of the threads. Funny thing is people claim they don't want to lower dignity, the forum is like family then go on to accuse the sellers without any proof. This ain't a community any more.
I support a monitoring thread for reporting For Sale abuses and then mods taking action against the seller.
Same goes for accusing a seller without proper proof.

Haha. It's quite funny actually. I just happened to notice the blu-ray thread with close to 50 new titles for sale, and someone had posted 'nice collection dude, cheers' or something to that effect. I cracked up. It is a nice collection, albeit never opened. Most peculiar. Why is it still open/functional under the owner's section?

I agree with doors666's and Sid's view. The market can and will take care of itself as can be seen in the recent Denon amp thread. Overpriced items either don't sell or take longer to sell which really is the seller's problem..

Even I agree with doors and sid view on the sale purchase POV ...... As long as the seller is not cheating or is not a dealer in member's ID, he can quote any price he wants .... if the mods feel that the thread can go haywire on the pricing or any other part for that matter, he can warn members to take the PM route .....

For the grey area between owners and dealers, can we have a section called 'For Sale in Bulk' or something of that sort for people who want to sell more than 5 (10?, 15?) things. Whether to charge them, or to keep it free is a different issue and can be decided by the mods. However, what it does is that it at least sets the expectations right. Everyone knows that in all likelihood, it is a somewhat commercial venture and not the conventional sale of used stuff that you would expect in the owners' section.

Last edited:
Haha. It's quite funny actually. I just happened to notice the blu-ray thread with close to 50 new titles for sale, and someone had posted 'nice collection dude, cheers' or something to that effect. I cracked up. It is a nice collection, albeit never opened. Most peculiar. Why is it still open/functional under the owner's section?
Yep, 'that' thread is getting best wishes and Denon amp seller is getting harassed (for adding a power cable and selling at higher price).

^^ Harassed .... errr I think that's an over statement ..... considering the fact that the amp was quoted 10K more than what is actually bought it for and that too in second.....

For the grey area between owners and dealers, can we have a section called 'For Sale in Bulk' or something of that sort for people who want to sell more than 5 (10?, 15?) things. Whether to charge them, or to keep it free is a different issue and can be decided by the mods. However, what it does is that it at least sets the expectations right. Everyone knows that in all likelihood, it is a somewhat commercial venture and not the conventional sale of used stuff that you would expect in the owners' section.

The nature of social behaviour of a group of people can, in many ways, be judged by the way they drive on the roads. If we open a few more forums, that will also be misused and, in a short time, we will all be discussing how to control the new menace.

As far as I can see, there are just two types of sellers. An owner who has a few extra items, and a dealer who wants to hawk his items. If you bring a 100 sealed items from somewhere, you should become a dealer and hawk your stuff. Please remember there have been many other large item sales by members. For example, I have seen Srini and many others sell off their BR collection in batches as they either ripped them or got bored with them. There were no issues then. Why? Simply because the very nature of the transaction did not raise any doubts in our mind. Recently Absolute Phase has listed some 250 LPs. Have there been any questions? Absolutely none. Why? The same reason.

What I would appreciate is a member who has some smart way of laying his hands on a number of movies and CDs and makes them available to us at discounted prices - meaning prices that are lower than the market. I do understand that the market can take a particular price. If I am ready to pay a market price, why would I buy here? I would buy from a shop that would at least give me a guarantee.

I think some dealers are doing better service to HFV members in terms of the group buys. You not only get products at very low prices, you get them delivered to your home, and you get a guarantee to boot.

Ultimately my dream is to make HFV a one stop shop for all our AV needs. You want a cable at a particular price? You can get it here. You want a CD Player? You can get it here. You want, for example, a difficult to get product from the US? No problem, HFV will get it for you. All these at prices much lower than the market price. That will be the ultimate camaraderie. You want a product to be reviewed without bias? We will do it for you. You want some specific information? We will give it to you.

Frankly if you want to make money as a owner / seller or other form of mask you are wearing at that moment, go to Ebay. As I said in a disputed sale thread, I want the buyer and seller to continue to be friends and help each other after the sale. Remember, if the transaction leaves a sour taste in your mouth, however good the seller is, you will start disliking him. That is something I don't want to happen in HFV. I have learnt a lot about AV here at HFV, and I consider this to a storehouse of knowledge for all of us.

And that is more important than anything else.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back