New forum moderator required

Status
Not open for further replies.
increasing the moderaters wont solve this issue.its about the quality,for in that case our moderators took a note of our valid suggestions. Just because of two members who are friends can change the proceedings of the forum.everybody wants to lead something its our nature,i dont say it is bad ,but we got good moderators here to hear us.
This is their pure effort that they taken the forum to this level.i dont think complaining about their work is a wise thing to do.

When you buy something for 500 and sell it for 800, you ARE making a business out of it. That is simply not the idea of For Sale by Owners. The idea behind that forum is that you have purchased an item, used it for some time, and are now looking to replace it with something else. Or you ended up not using it at all, or you have stopped using it. I cannot understand how someone can have 100 brand new BRs discs, and have not used it at all? If you are doing this, you should become a dealer and sell under that forum.

Cheers
I concur on this. There is nothing wrong in profiting. But I see may FS thread where people are importing BDs from cheaper avenues and selling them here for a profit. Such persons should be dealt as dealers - I started a thread on this in "Suggestion" section.

Other members should seek to help other. A nominal profit of 10-15% is acceptable. BDs in India are sold at Rs. 1300-1500 (a few Disney titles are cheaper at Rs. 800). So importing BDs at Rs. 600 and then selling them for Rs. 1000 is plain dealership in my opinion.

Look at it this way. If you want a Oppo 93 today it is available in India at prices varying from 45K to 60K in what is essentially the grey market. I have seen people buy it at those prices. This is commerce and it will be controlled by supply and demand. I have no issues with that.

Let us say as a member you have been watching this happening in the market and you make a trip to the US on office business or even as a tourist. You see the 93 available (at today's XE.COM conversion rate) at 22,170. So you think - man there is a huge demand for this and let me make some money. So you pick up one or two 93's and hawk them in HFV at 45K. This is where you cross the thin line between being a member and a dealer. At the same, time let us say you paid US$500 and picked up a piece for yourself, and the decided you want to sell it for some reason. You come to HFV and put it up for sale. How much would you ask? 30K, 35K, 40K, 45K or even 60K?

The point in HFV sale by owners is not the price, not what the market can bear, but the intention. I had a 983H that I was not using. I found a soul who was looking for a SACD player desperately. We agreed on a reasonable price and that was it. We were both gainers. I sold off a product I was not using, and the buyer got a player to play his SACDs.

If a person spends money to travel all the way to Europe only to buy stuff to sell on HFV, what is he? If you look at it from the intent, you will understand the difference I am trying to make.

If you are eager to spend money to go to Europe and bring back 6 CD Players to hawk on HFV, I have no objection. But, please do it as a dealer. Distribute the cost of a return ticket (60K) between the 6 CD players, and see what minimum price you have to sell the player at. It will not make any economic sense - to you as a seller, and to me as a buyer.

What I am trying to unravel is to identify the intent of the member when he creates a For Sale By Owner thread.

Cheers

I am surprised to read this especially from someone with so much experience. With all due respect, this is a lot of hot air. The problem is not with what you have said. It is pretty much what everyone would agree with. It is with what has not been outlined here and the insinuation that if you are not selling with 'good intentions' at a lower price than what you bought for, then you are a dealer.
There are a lot of cases between someone buying and selling for profit (even one piece of electronics) and someone who gives away his equipment for price significantly lower than what he bought for.

I think others mention about landed costs (including shipping, customs etc). What if I buy Oppo for 22k in the US, carry it in a suitcase and pay USD 50 for extra baggage in which I pack a few clothes and sell the player for 25K? Do I become a person with impure heart? Or should I apportion a part of USD 50 towards the clothes I carry to become 'Owner' and not dealer?
Unfortunately, the For Sale forum has become entertainment channel for a lot of folks. Example is the Denon amp thread. The seller has been called a liar, told he should work for a living than making money through sales etc. I don;t know him and don't know if he is lying or not. But should one not have the courtesy to either make sure if he lying before accusing him or offer data to show he is lying?

I believe such a post from an experienced poster (and a moderator ) though directly does not encourage such discourteous behavior but gives credibility to it. I am disappointed.

increasing the moderaters wont solve this issue.its about the quality,for in that case our moderators took a note of our valid suggestions. Just because of two members who are friends can change the proceedings of the forum.everybody wants to lead something its our nature,i dont say it is bad ,but we got good moderators here to hear us.
This is their pure effort that they taken the forum to this level.i dont think complaining about their work is a wise thing to do.

Why do you keep bringing this up? This is not a democracy. A new monitor or moderator will be added based on a decision of the existing mods and supermod. Increasing number of mods WILL solve more issue just because the current mods have too much on their hands.

I wish you would stop talking like this. My friend and I personally stand to gain NOTHING by trying to improve the forum.

Also, I've gone hoarse saying this but not many people seem to want to listen. So, I'll say it again:

The existing mods are NOT BAD AT WHAT THEY DO. They can do with some help and I am offering to to just that. HELP.

From the time this thread has started, the only thing you have contributed is that I am not worthy to be here and everything is just dandy. If you have nothing substantial to contribute, please refrain from commenting the same thing again and again. Also, please spare me and the other members the usual spiel about "This is a free country and free forum and I can say what I want". We already know that.

I say again, I am offering help and what you and I say will have little impact on the final decision.

Peace!

When someone posts a good luck on your sale, or Welcome to a new member, it is just another form of spam. I can understand one person saying welcome, but come on, do all of need to welcome a new member? Imagine if 10 people join in a given day and all of us welcome the new member. We have around 15000 members, so that makes 1,50,000 welcome messages, you get the picture.

I don't thinking wishing a new member a warm welcome is a kind of spam. Not all 15,000 members are going to welcome a new comer. If you read the welcome threads you can see that there are usually no more than 10 posts wishing welcome. It is a good idea to show our concern to the new members. What will be in a newcomer's mind if nobody responds to his introduction thread. If I were him, I will be deeply frustrated to see the cold response. Those who are not interested can always stay out from reading these threads.

I have seen members that have posted as many messages in 3 months as I have in 3 years (I agree I dont post much though). When you see the messages that they have posted, I see tons and tons of these kinds of meaning less posts.

This statement suits me.:D I have posted 870 posts in 4 months. Are they all crap?. I don't think so seeing the reputation points I earned. Actually I have posted only those points which seems to be of any value to me and the forum.

Another over due change is allowing the user to select which subforums threads should be displayed (or not displayed) when I click on Unread Posts on the top of the page. Many other forums allow the user this flexibility. I am more interested in "General chit chat" forum (which is not displayed when I click on unread posts) than I am in the DTH or cable or TV forums. Now a days whenever I click on unread posts, I get a feeling - junk, junk, junk, junk. I should be able to see only the forums that I want to see, and dont ask me to goto individual forums of interest as that is extremely inconvenient.

We should seriously consider making some threads sticky and related posts should be only posted on these. Threads posted elsewhere on these issues will be deleted.

+1 to that.

That makes my post count 871.:D

Unfortunately, the For Sale forum has become entertainment channel for a lot of folks.

I concur - and as I stated before - the For sale by Owner should be accessable by the sellers only. All correspondance should take place via PM. Else we have to deal with low ballers, tire kickers etc. at the expense of genuine buyers.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
I concur on this. There is nothing wrong in profiting. But I see may FS thread where people are importing BDs from cheaper avenues and selling them here for a profit. Such persons should be dealt as dealers - I started a thread on this in "Suggestion" section.

Other members should seek to help other. A nominal profit of 10-15% is acceptable. BDs in India are sold at Rs. 1300-1500 (a few Disney titles are cheaper at Rs. 800). So importing BDs at Rs. 600 and then selling them for Rs. 1000 is plain dealership in my opinion.

And who's to decide whats fair profit, it has to be the seller its his item. he can quote any damn price he chooses to, he has a right. Market forces will decide if the item is worth the price or not.

If a BD is sold at 1500, someone buys for 600. Why should he sell it for 720. Why dont we look at it this way - it costs 1500 in india, he will give you 20% discount and sell it for 1200. For a brand new unopened item, it that not a fair discount? If the buyer is called greedy because he's trying to sell an item for 1000 he bought for 600, isnt a buyer also greedy who's trying to buy a 1500/- brand new item for 720/-.

Why do you keep bringing this up? This is not a democracy. A new monitor or moderator will be added based on a decision of the existing mods and supermod. Increasing number of mods WILL solve more issue just because the current mods have too much on their hands.

I wish you would stop talking like this. My friend and I personally stand to gain NOTHING by trying to improve the forum.

Also, I've gone hoarse saying this but not many people seem to want to listen. So, I'll say it again:

The existing mods are NOT BAD AT WHAT THEY DO. They can do with some help and I am offering to to just that. HELP.

From the time this thread has started, the only thing you have contributed is that I am not worthy to be here and everything is just dandy. If you have nothing substantial to contribute, please refrain from commenting the same thing again and again. Also, please spare me and the other members the usual spiel about "This is a free country and free forum and I can say what I want". We already know that.

I say again, I am offering help and what you and I say will have little impact on the final decision.

Peace!

I will shoot directly ,if the forum permits I say lets the people who are not interested can step off,no body is forcing here to stay here,i see most of the members got the same thinking,i got 10 friends here so that I cant own this forum..... Pls keep away from this thread for the goodwill of this forum.

I think the reason people try to hesitate putting the purchase price is because usually then people start haggling too much on the price. There are people who suggest a discount of 40-50% off on the purchase price after a period of 1.5-2.5 years. I wonder if they will sell a 40 lacs mercedez for 20L after 2 years:). And this is when a speaker or an amp can easily last 20-30 years, while a car cant (of course barring a few, which also require tons of parts replacement). A speaker or amp's performance usually doesnt degrade over time while a car's does. In cars, there has been a lot of new technology over the last two decades, while in audio there hasnt been. 10 year old speakers/amp can look like new, while 10 year old cars look like crap, atleast they look like 10 year old cars:). Try anything else, what else depreciates more than this. Heck, even computers don't depreciate at this rate. Then why should a seller disclose the price, as he knows that the moment he does so, people will start negotiating harder or make fun of him for trying to make a profit or getting a reasonable return on his investment, or start telling this guy is fleecing you.

Why should a seller help a buyer in negotiating a better price when it means more pain and less money for him? Thats like shooting yourself in the foot.

I will shoot directly ,if the forum permits I say lets the people who are not interested can step off,no body is forcing here to stay here,i see most of the members got the same thinking,i got 10 friends here so that I cant own this forum..... Pls keep away from this thread for the goodwill of this forum.

The people who are not interested describes you, not me. You are not interested in improving this place. I can understand why. Most of your posts are in the FS threads wishing people all the best so you don't need any moderation. Don't even talk to me about how many posts you have. If I waste my time wishing people luck all the time, I too will have 10000 posts here.

About nobody forcing here to stay here - that sentence does not even make sense. What are you saying?

I don't know what you mean by you have 10 friends and you can't own the forum. I have many friends on this forum as well. What does that prove? I'm would not be interested in owning this forum even if I had 100 friends here.

Also, please reserve strong comments. You are in no position to tell me what to do. I will post as I please.

You cant even accept that you cant be a moderator for this much time.then how can you be a good moderator?
Pls step off from this thread.

You cant even accept that you cant be a moderator for this much time.then how can you be a good moderator?
Pls step off from this thread.

I don't care if I cannot be a moderator. That does not change my thinking. This place needs help. You are in no position to provide such help. Why don't you leave this thread?

The people who are not interested describes you, not me. You are not interested in improving this place. I can understand why. Most of your posts are in the FS threads wishing people all the best so you don't need any moderation. Don't even talk to me about how many posts you have. If I waste my time wishing people luck all the time, I too will have 10000 posts here.

About nobody forcing here to stay here - that sentence does not even make sense. What are you saying?

I don't know what you mean by you have 10 friends and you can't own the forum. I have many friends on this forum as well. What does that prove? I'm would not be interested in owning this forum even if I had 100 friends here.

Also, please reserve strong comments. You are in no position to tell me what to do. I will post as I please.

If you are ready ,i can face you face you face but this is not a wrestling stage,this shows your immaturety to be a moderator.

If you are ready ,i can face you face you face but this is not a wrestling stage,this shows your immaturety to be a moderator.

Wow, you are actually threatening me now?

EDIT: What is face you face you face wrestling? Sorry but I don't follow wrestling too closely. Can you tell me the rules?

I don't care if I cannot be a moderator. That does not change my thinking. This place needs help. You are in no position to provide such help. Why don't you leave this thread?

I feel pity of you,have you ever seen an moderator so harsh,they are gentle,u dont fit for moderation.

I always hated WWF:)
It is so good that i no more own a TV(removed teh connections as I have young kids at home)

I feel pity of you,have you ever seen an moderator so harsh,they are gentle,u dont fit for moderation.

I feel pity for those who have to read the English you write. You will fit in grammar school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back